www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old July 1st, 2009, 16:02   #1
wxman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Other Diesel
Default Clean Diesel Fuels Volkswagen's June Sales

PRESS RELEASE:

News Release Issued: July 1, 2009 1:39 PM EDT
Clean Diesel Fuels Volkswagen's June Sales

Over 25 percent of sales were Clean Diesel TDI's

HERNDON, Va., July 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced June 2009 sales of 19,027 units, representing an 18 percent decrease over June 2008. However, Volkswagen's award winning clean diesels posted their best sales month since their re-launch with 5,072 units, representing an impressive 26 percent of total sales.

The Jetta SportWagen once again posted its best sales month ever with sales of 1,982 units. Clean diesel TDI's accounted for 81 percent of SportWagen sales, 40 percent of Jetta sedan sales, and 29 percent of Touareg sales.

"Volkswagen of America is encouraged by the momentum of our clean diesel TDI sales," said Mark Barnes, Chief Operating Officer, Volkswagen of America, Inc. "It appears that U.S. consumers are starting to realize the many benefits of today's clean diesels--vehicles that attain more than 30 percent better fuel economy while emitting 25 percent less greenhouse gas emission, all without sacrificing driving dynamics," Barnes added.

Volkswagen also announced today that they have been named a corporate leader in Strategic Visions Total Quality Index® (TQI). For 2009, Volkswagen has the most models across the segments that were measured than any other brand--New Beetle, Rabbit, Jetta, CC, and Tiguan were all recognized as TQI leaders in their respective segments.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/07...sales-in-june/
wxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 17:23   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Given that a bunch of other manufacturers have just bailed out or postponed their diesel plans, VW had better be prepared to make a lot of diesel engines.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 18:11   #3
chewy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

That's about the same amount of diesels sold as Ford and GM hybrids combined.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 18:35   #4
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
Given that a bunch of other manufacturers have just bailed out or postponed their diesel plans, VW had better be prepared to make a lot of diesel engines.
Amen. VW may not be able to produce them fast enough. I also hope the 6 car manufacturers who recently canceled their plans to offer diesel cars in the USA take note of the bright spot in VW's sales numbers due to the 09 TDIs proving to be more popular than planned.

More diesel demand --> more diesel choices!
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 20:56   #5
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default Other car companies

I don't care about the other car manufactors. If it ain't a VW, it ain't a car!
Old July 1st, 2009, 20:58   #6
Nocky
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50-43

I hope it does not go bad like GM diesels in the 80s. People will buy new VW and then have to take it in for something then the poor dealer service will break them.
Nocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 21:15   #7
Kabin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.4 mpg (best)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman
PRESS RELEASE:

News Release Issued: July 1, 2009 1:39 PM EDT
Clean Diesel Fuels Volkswagen's June Sales

Over 25 percent of sales were Clean Diesel TDI's

HERNDON, Va., July 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced June 2009 sales of 19,027 units, representing an 18 percent decrease over June 2008. However, Volkswagen's award winning clean diesels posted their best sales month since their re-launch with 5,072 units, representing an impressive 26 percent of total sales.

The Jetta SportWagen once again posted its best sales month ever with sales of 1,982 units. Clean diesel TDI's accounted for 81 percent of SportWagen sales, 40 percent of Jetta sedan sales, and 29 percent of Touareg sales.

"Volkswagen of America is encouraged by the momentum of our clean diesel TDI sales," said Mark Barnes, Chief Operating Officer, Volkswagen of America, Inc. "It appears that U.S. consumers are starting to realize the many benefits of today's clean diesels--vehicles that attain more than 30 percent better fuel economy while emitting 25 percent less greenhouse gas emission, all without sacrificing driving dynamics," Barnes added.

Volkswagen also announced today that they have been named a corporate leader in Strategic Visions Total Quality Index® (TQI). For 2009, Volkswagen has the most models across the segments that were measured than any other brand--New Beetle, Rabbit, Jetta, CC, and Tiguan were all recognized as TQI leaders in their respective segments.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/07...sales-in-june/
I didn't catch the year over year TDI sales %'s. It's good to have increasing TDI sales but let's compare apples to apples. Also, it's easier to have an increasing % of total sales when total sales decrease.
Kabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 21:39   #8
peapodtdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocky
I hope it does not go bad like GM diesels in the 80s. People will buy new VW and then have to take it in for something then the poor dealer service will break them.
I was thinking the same thing! After reading on here about the horrible and unreliable service people have been getting on their TDIs at the dealerships I am so worried for new owners who don't have a clue! To someone who doesn't have any knowledge about these cars, they think the dealership would be the best place to take it. But now I know that is usually not the case.
I just really hope the dealerships clean up their act a little and don't leave a bad taste in peoples mouths about these wonderful cars because of bad service done on them.
peapodtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 00:45   #9
Virginian 2.0

Sounds like the # of tax credits being used is quite large. At this rate they will soon reach 40,000. If I'm not mistaken that is the limit of full credits available
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:57   #10
NYTDI
Veteran Member

Maybe 26% of total sales but actually if you average the Jetta, Wagen and Toureg - the only models offered w/TDI then it's actually 50% of sales in models where TDI is offered. Very strong #. How does this compare to past TDI #'s?

Last edited by NYTDI; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:00.
NYTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:06   #11
tedali2004

Fuel Economy: 44

Question : If other car builders released their diesel cars in the U.S., would they get as high fuel mileage and as clean emissions as the VW's are getting already ? Are they too far behind in R and D to compete right now ?
tedali2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:27   #12
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedali2004
Question : If other car builders released their diesel cars in the U.S., would they get as high fuel mileage and as clean emissions as the VW's are getting already ? Are they too far behind in R and D to compete right now ?
BMW's 4-cylinder diesel gets a bit better fuel economy than Volkswagen's comparable models, so if they would bother to import a 118d, they could compete on fuel economy. They have a urea system for the larger diesels, it's currently a 1000€ option on the 330d.

Everybody needs low-Nox-diesels in Europe soon, with Euro6 emission standards coming up. So it's not like there's anybody who doesn't have comparable technology.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:06   #13
k1xv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian 2.0
Sounds like the # of tax credits being used is quite large. At this rate they will soon reach 40,000. If I'm not mistaken that is the limit of full credits available
I believe it is 60,000
k1xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:23   #14
John06jetta

Fuel Economy: 42mpg around town 45-46 hwy

I am glad to see it. I was just on my soap box a few min. ago on another forum I visit preaching to the masses about what desiel could do for America in making us less dependent on OPECs oil. The thread had to do with Mahindra bringing over there small trucks and Suv's.

But, on a side note I have not been all that happy with my wifes JSW milage. The car has just over 10k miles and around town it is only getting 34mpg. I know it is still a new engine and needs some time to break in. But, my 06 jetta has never gotten that bad of milage. The worse tank in it was 37mpg. And I never get lower that 42mpg in it now. And that is with a RC1+. I keep waiting for the JSW to get the claimed 38mpg in town. Now it will get higher than 40 out on the road. I would just like to see closer to 40mpg around town. I think that would help sell a lot more cars. I wish they would have kept the HP down a little and made it get better milage in the new cars. My 06 had plenty of pep right off the show room floor. JMHO
John06jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 18:18   #15
Dooglas
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '06 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40+

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapodtdi
I just really hope the dealerships clean up their act a little and don't leave a bad taste in peoples mouths about these wonderful cars because of bad service done on them.
I realize that the quality of servicing dealers must vary quite a bit but my experience to date on my '06 has been excellent. I read the complaints and horror stories here but conclude that either some folks have second rate dealers or this board hears from 110% of those with bad experiences and 5% of those with good experiences.

I owned my first VW in 1967. The service was great. Polite, knowledgeable service managers in white coats. Fourty years later, my service manager is just as polite and just as knowledgeable. The only difference I can see is that he wears a blue coat (and the service costs more).
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote