www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old February 6th, 2020, 17:28   #586
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Wow, that's impressive watching how quickly the Model 3 jumped to the top of the heap. I think the Model Y might even be more dramatic.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2020, 07:19   #587
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
It's not just about protecting the environment or saving money for most EV buyers. People want the cool new tech, self driving capabilities, crazy acceleration etc. That's why Tesla making performance and cutting edge tech. key elements of their cars was a brilliant move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I heard a pundit on a financial channel say something yesterday that rung true: People are buying Teslas because Elon has made the brand attractive. That it's an EV is tangential to some buyers. They just want to be driving a Tesla.
The few people I know that own a tesla bought them because of the bells and whistles. They did not go out looking for an elceltric car and came back deciding that a tesla was the best option out there. Much like my truck. My wife was attracted to the bells and whisltes while I insisted that it was a diesel.
Old February 7th, 2020, 10:04   #588
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpsd0yRYk8c

(I'd have combined the Prius Prime with the PHV, seeing as it's the second generation of the PHV, but hey.)
Very neat evolution of US Electric Vehicles sales since 2012. Thanks for the link!

Apparently the Kia Soul EV did not even make it in the charts at the bottom
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 13:36   #589
JSH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I happen to like and support both. I guess my "green" credentials have a shade of blue to them.

It's really not an either/or proposition.
No it isn't. Until recently we had a 2016 Spark EV paired with a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen. The Spark handled my 50 mile commute and trips around down. My wife used the TDI for her 14 mile commute and our trips out of town. We used each car were it worked best.

The Spark went back to GM last September after the lease was up. It is by far the least expensive car I have ever owned. At 400 lb-ft of torque at 0 RPM was fun too.

Now we have the TDI and my wife rides her bicycle to work.
JSH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 17:36   #590
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Five years out and dieselgate is still costing VW billions. It looks as though German owners will be getting $.9 billion in compensation:

https://www-autoblog-com.cdn.ampproj...-settlement%2F
Old February 16th, 2020, 07:11   #591
ericy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~49

I found an interesting documentary about the future of the German auto industry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXjVxaKzv4

The short version is that they are dragging their feet on electrification. Partly because they are really good at making ICE engines, but there is also a lot of political pressure to the save the jobs of all of the people in the supply chain who make engines, transmissions and other such things. In doing so, they risk being completely left behind in the transition.

But as things stand now, sales of ICE vehicles are down - especially on some of the more expensive (and hence more profitable cars). Only sales of EVs were up for the year.

2014 Jetta Sportwagen [Bought back 12/14/2016].
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 10:16   #592
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericy View Post
I found an interesting documentary about the future of the German auto industry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXjVxaKzv4

The short version is that they are dragging their feet on electrification. Partly because they are really good at making ICE engines, but there is also a lot of political pressure to the save the jobs of all of the people in the supply chain who make engines, transmissions and other such things. In doing so, they risk being completely left behind in the transition.

But as things stand now, sales of ICE vehicles are down - especially on some of the more expensive (and hence more profitable cars). Only sales of EVs were up for the year.
Ok so overall US sales of ICE passenger vehicles are down and sales of large gasoline trucks and large gasoline SUVs are up. And that leaves you with an overall US passenger vehicle average MPG stuck in the low to mid 20s MPG. Am I missing something?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 10:34   #593
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

The Japanese are also dragging their feet largely out of fears of disrupting their supply chains. These next few years should be very interesting.

https://www-teslarati-com.cdn.amppro...-3-teardown%2F

Last edited by turbobrick240; February 17th, 2020 at 10:36.