pump issues and need a vendor that rebuilds them.

liveaboard74

TDI
2001 Beetle Bug TDI
Hey guys. I don't get on here much at all so don't have a clue which way to turn but GF has a issue with her 2003 TDI Beetle. Had a alternator go out and we had that replaced but 4 months down the road, her light came on again.
I travel. Trucker so she took it to the shop and they said the pump started leaking and it leaked onto the alternator.. They will replace the alternator but want way more than she has for rebuilding the pump or replacing it.

Are there any cool vendors on here that rebuild these things or is it cheaper to buy a rebuilt one? What is the cost, and if anyone knows someone that can rebuild it what is the turn around time.??
We're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. Her part time job don't pay a lot so thats why I was looking into a rebuilt one or having her's rebuilt. Thanks.

Wishing everyone a cool Christmas.
. .

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Where is the pump leaking from. Chances are a reseal will solve the problem. Kits are about 12 bucks.

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
Thats pretty common of a non TDI diesel mechanic or a general ASE mechanic. Good guys but most are of the school of thought (I used to be this way too) that the injection pump is pure magic and must be sent out to highly trained wizards to be fixed.

A real TDI nut will know that most leaks on these Bosch VE model pumps can be repaired on the car. So as long as there are no other dirveabilty or other fuel delivery issues and it really is just a leak. The 12 dollar seal kit and a couple of hours labor at the most will fix it up right as rain if the leak doesn't require the pump coming off the car. A couple of pictures of the leak source would be worth a 1000words in this case to make sure it is one of the easily fixed leak points.

Hope that helps. You really shouldn't need a 2000 dollar pump if the car runs and starts well.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Go to the Trusted Mechanics page at the top of the TDI101 forum. Find someone near you. Someone who knows what they are doing can install new seals in about an hour without even removing the IP from the car.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
PM jimbote, I think he is near you up there. He can help you with a reseal. If you were able to get it down to Charleston I could help you, but we are leaving 2 day after Christmas.