Adding 2cycle oil

Basswood TDI

TDI
2013 Jetta
I was filling up my jetta TDI the other day and a buddy was filling up his Ford Diesel, he asked if I added 2 stroke miking oil as tnow there is no lub in the fuel. He used Polaris skidoo oil and has for years, says it lubs the pumpand such. I figured he was adding this oil at a ratio of 128/1. Any thoughts guys, thanks I'm a newbee so hey to all . This is my 6th TDI so I've had a few.Take care all and MERRY CHRISTMAS. Mike

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Amazing how old wive's tales stick around so long.
yes and no. Add 2 stroke oil is great for cars that aren't designed for ULSD. For instance, my old MB (1991) loves when I add some sort of additive to increase the lubricity of the fuel as she wasn't designed for the 'dry' fuel we use now.

oldgrey

TDI
A lot of places are running a bit of biodiesel to "save the planet" and of course support the corn industry. Side effect is the best lubricant is biodiesel. 10% is ideal.
My old 6.5 gmc likes it.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
yes and no. Add 2 stroke oil is great for cars that aren't designed for ULSD. For instance, my old MB (1991) loves when I add some sort of additive to increase the lubricity of the fuel as she wasn't designed for the 'dry' fuel we use now.
When these "facts" get repeated, it is only time before someone decides to use it a new (<15 years) diesel with disatrous results.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
When these "facts" get repeated, it is only time before someone decides to use it a new (<15 years) diesel with disatrous results.
Diesels have had DPFs here since 2007. 2 cycle oil is fine in older (pre-DPF) diesels.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I ran 2 cycle oil in my '02 for quite a while. It made the pump nice and quiet. Now I use other additives, but the 2 cycle low ash oil worked great. And that car's less than 15 years old.