Timing belt help please

PARKERS250R

TDI
2000 1.9 TDI BEETLE
Belt broke on 2004 tdi beetle, rebuilt head, put everything back together, turns over, have fuel, wont start, any suggestions PLEASE!!

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
I am going to assume that you checked the pistons, projection, and cylinder walls prior to installing the new head..... If that is the case then you probably need to make sure that your timing is correct and your fuel lines are primed with no air. The next thing is did you clear everything out with vcds and check to make sure that you didn't have any other issues?

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Crack them open so the unions are just finger tight at the injectors, get some rags or paper towels on them to prevent spray, then crank the engine for 5 seconds or so. You should see that the rags have some fuel on them afterwards. Tighten down the nuts and the engine should light right up.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Wow, so much confusion and misinformation in this thread. The 2004 Beetle TDI has a PD engine, no separate injection pump to prime. The injector pumps are integral to the injectors in the head. That car also has an electric lift pump and should be self priming.

You say you "put everything back together", did this include establishing proper static cam timing using the correct indexing tools for crank and cam via the correct procedure? Your engine is not a gasser, "mark and prey" TB techniques don't apply.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is it timed properly? Do you have access to VCDS? How did you test that you have fuel?

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
If you are in time, no codes (something disconnected), check to make sure your fuel lines are not reversed. They are both the same size, easily reversed.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
If you are in time, no codes (something disconnected), check to make sure your fuel lines are not reversed. They are both the same size, easily reversed.
this^^.... i bought an 05' golf from the parking lot of a local independent garage who's radio ad stated "specializing in all european makes and models, including TDI" :rolleyes:... they diagnosed the car with a bad tandem pump after the owner replaced the alternator and accidentally swapped lines, got the car home and spotted the issue within two minutes

PARKERS250R

TDI
2000 1.9 TDI BEETLE
ok well I have given wrong info, had 2004 in my head because of my daughters car, this vehicle is actually a 2000, if three valves and guides were damaged does this mean cam shaft must be replaced.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
That makes an enormous difference as the 2000 has a completely different engine than the 2004 with completely different fuel systems.

Whitedog has an outstanding no start guide HERE.

I'd begin with that.

You don't automatically have to replace the cam when that damage happens but it is a good idea to do so when followers are replaced. That alone won't cause a no start though.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
I guarantee you have air. The PD can be a real ***** to get the air out of. Put a strong vaccuum on the return side of the fuel filter for about 10 minutes. This is no exaggeration it's for real the hardest thing to get air out of the cylinder head on these things.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
So did you use all of the timing tools to lock down the injection pump and cam? Double check that the pin for the injection pump actually went into the proper hole. I have pictures of where it should be in that no start thread.

marshalldanielp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Gls Wagon auto
Turn it over by hand and insert timing reference tools to make sure it's in time. It is possible that the pump is a tooth of causing a no start.

Is there fuel in the filter?

I'm curious about the three valves you said were damaged and if you had the proper tools to install new ones. If proper tools weren't used then bad things can happen.