2002 jetta tdi with automatic transmission problem

fasteddie

TDI
jetta
I was driving along the other day and my transmission stopped shifting properly. I assumed it went out since it had 250k miles on it. So I found a used transmission out of a wrecked 02 tdi at a local salvage yard and had it installed with new fluid and filter. And it has the same shifting problem as before. Forward and reverse both work but in forward gears it takes of in second or third not sure but it never switches gears so you got one gear. It will go 40 to 50 mph in that gear whatever it is. I am lost does anyone have a clue ?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yes, it's the O1M automatic. You made it twice as far as many and no surprise the used one was in the same condition. I wouldn't buy a used auto tranny nor a used pre-2005 VW automatic unless I had plans to part it out or swap the tranny out.
Do some searching on it. Read and pay attention to anything posted by CoolAirVw. He has written a lot about the issues and some fixes for the O1M, but the best fix is the 5 speed manual swap.
Having said that, I did buy a 2003 Jetta with a 1.8T and and automatic in it. It has 134K on it and is in very nice shape, but the tranny is shot. It will back up some, but that's about it. For $1200, I plan to use the chassis to transplant my 2003 TDI 5 speed (recently destroyed by rear end coolision) into it.
Good news, if there is any, is the Rich (CoolAirVw) is in Kansas City. Maybe not too far away?

Last edited:

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Rebuild or swap as jettawreck.
If you go rebuild please call every one on the list near you to get a feel for a good re-builder near you.
Bob Mann

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Possibly, but there is an extremely high probability that you won't like the results. The gear ratios are very different.
The '98 is a TDI MkIII (unless its a NB). So the AHU's manual tranny will mate to the ALH engine, but is geared different? Sort of like the 2.0 gasser tranny? Just asking...

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Sounds like this is stuck in limp mode... is there any chance it is electrical and not mechanical?

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
^^^^^
try resetting the TCM and your should certainly check the electrical connections on top of the tranny.

Don't toss in the towel just yet. Do some reading on this forum (search coolairvw). I and many others have had good success getting the 01M valve body rebuilt. Its an easy remove/replace and fixes some (but not all) shifting issues in the 01M. CoolAirVW can certainly tell you if its worth doing or not based on your detailed symptoms.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I was driving along the other day and my transmission stopped shifting properly. I assumed it went out since it had 250k miles on it. So I found a used transmission out of a wrecked 02 tdi at a local salvage yard and had it installed with new fluid and filter. And it has the same shifting problem as before. Forward and reverse both work but in forward gears it takes of in second or third not sure but it never switches gears so you got one gear. It will go 40 to 50 mph in that gear whatever it is. I am lost does anyone have a clue ?

So you skipped a diagnosis and went straight to throwing a whole transmission in the car? Yikes.

You have a control side problem. And since these transmissions, like all modern automatics, are controlled by a computer, yes it is electronic. The TCM for whatever reason is not able to work the transmission, so it is in limp mode, which will give reverse and high forward, nothing more.

You need to do these steps:

Scan the TCM with a suitable scan tool. If the TCM doesn't respond, then find out why.

If the TCM DOES respond, it will have a DTC or DTCs stored. Use that information to diagnose the problem.

You could just have a loose wire somewhere.

TDI
2002 Beetle TDI
O1M scan tool ability to delete memory codes

Turns out Mr. FastEddie was trying to erase VW transmission codes with a generic scan tool.

He is dealing with the notorious output sensor. His original transmission should be good according to steps taken.

And according to vehicle not shifting prior to installing another unit. I Like 01ms.

Good Luck fasteddie