1.6Tdi Golf 105 Misfire upon startup and smoke?

Falkirk107

TDI
Golf 6 1.6Tdi 105 DSG
Hi there

My Golf misfires for a while when I do a cold start in the morning, also lots of smoke at the back. When it warms up its normal, is this normal? 42 000kms on the clock 2010 model.

Its the Dsg.

Thanks.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
When the misfire does happen, do you feel the "rough idle"? Is the car shaking? Also, does the tacho needle jump up and down when this happens?

Falkirk107

TDI
Golf 6 1.6Tdi 105 DSG
Yes the rev needle jumps up and down and yes rough idle, just as you described.. smoke at the back! I left it to idle for 5 minutes and it stopped.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same problem with same symptoms here. Also, looks to be about the same mileage too! Mine is a 5-speed manual, not a DSG. So probably we can eliminate DSG from the possible cause.

Looking forward for possible solution.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is not a DPF regeneration since it's happening almost every cold start and when the engine isn't fully warmed up.

Falkirk107

TDI
Golf 6 1.6Tdi 105 DSG
I took the car in today, the service manager test drove the car and told me the car was pinging. He is going to check the injectors. That clear things up. Maybe the previous owner used 500ppm diesel and not 50ppm. Here in South Africa we get 500 and 50.

Volkswagen put new software on, didn't solve the problem, ordering 3 new injectors they will be here on Thursday.

Last edited:

Falkirk107

TDI
Golf 6 1.6Tdi 105 DSG
Got my car back today.. Will check tomorrow when doing a cold start if its any better. The car doesnt ping as loud anymore but I do hear a little noise at low rpm.. Will get back to the technician on monday.

So, the engine is fine on cold start up now, but the engine still pings! Any idea what it could be?

Last edited:

AnnaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf 5-spd [BEW]
was there an update on this situation? curious if the injectors were the issue...

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes. I had my ECU firmware reflashed to the latest version 9971. It solved all the problems. No more rough idle, smooth and short regens, easier to take off from a stop, etc.

markosIRL

TDI
2010 VW Golf 1.6 TDi s bluemotion
Yes. I had my ECU firmware reflashed to the latest version 9971. It solved all the problems. No more rough idle, smooth and short regens, easier to take off from a stop, etc.
Hi henrick, any chance you would know how much it costs to have this done by a vw dealer in ireland? bought my car secondhand so no warranty. having the same symtoms on my 1.6 tdi.

cheers.