My custom turbo

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
So i sold off my bmw turbo and manifold setup and bought a turbo from a vendor here on TDiclub. The vendor is Xman turbos, what i got for the price i paid is just amazing to say the least.

He built me a custom turbo GT1752V with a 6+6 billet Compressor wheel and it has a GT22V compressor housing on it. It fits just like stock and even looks stock if you dont know what to look for.

Here are some photos of the turbo itself.

Hoping by some time next month ill have this turbo along with a few other mods in.
GT1752V
Stage 1 bosio race 520
11mm IP
2.5" turbo back
Upgraded smic
Custom lower and upper IC pipes
Custom intake pipe
Spec clutch rated for 450tq
Stage 5 Malone tune
EGR delete
3 bar map sensor
Defi Advance ZD gauge

I believe those are the basics, goal is to hit 200hp 350tq. Good thing is i have access to a dyno that doesnt cost me anything to use and i can datalog with my Defi gauge also. So vcds, dyno and defi gauge should help get the most out of the car tuning wise. The defi gauge also has a extra pressure sensor that i dont need so im thinkinh of using it for EMP.

Im on the fence about headstuds and a lift pump though. Thoughts on those would be greatly appreciated along with anything else I might have forgotten.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What size wheels?

Can't wait to see your dyno results! :cool:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I believe the GT17V hotside will be a restriction at 200HP. Curious to see simultaneous EMP vs MAP logs. .

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I think 200 whp will be maxing out the 17/22, but should be achievable.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I may be missing something here, but why did you go with a 22 cold side instead of a 20? IIRC, the 22 cold side has the potential to move more air but at the expense of 400 RPM higher before reaching full boost. The shaft in that turbo is maxed out at 26 PSI. Darkside has a 17/22 maxed out at 220 HP, but I am sure that is with all the available breathing mods added in. My main concern is your turbo may have serious surging problems.

DT_Tuning

TDI
Fabia VRS
I may be missing something here, but why did you go with a 22 cold side instead of a 20? IIRC, the 22 cold side has the potential to move more air but at the expense of 400 RPM higher before reaching full boost. The shaft in that turbo is maxed out at 26 PSI. Darkside has a 17/22 maxed out at 220 HP, but I am sure that is with all the available breathing mods added in. My main concern is your turbo may have serious surging problems.
Maybe it's more of a issue of semantics, but there isn't necessarily a difference between a 20 and a 22 compressor wheel. They can both be 56mm and of the same trim. You'll find this often differs more as you go up in size just because the wheels are designed to move more flow (larger inducer and more surge prone) and less pressure and do it at a slower speed. The standard VNT17's run at a relatively high speed so this can become a bit of a mismatch and you'll possibly end up spinning a compressor much faster than was ever intended....once you get by the surge, that is. Bigger isn't always better.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I wasn't clear before

Maybe it's more of a issue of semantics, but there isn't necessarily a difference between a 20 and a 22 compressor wheel. They can both be 56mm and of the same trim. You'll find this often differs more as you go up in size just because the wheels are designed to move more flow (larger inducer and more surge prone) and less pressure and do it at a slower speed. The standard VNT17's run at a relatively high speed so this can become a bit of a mismatch and you'll possibly end up spinning a compressor much faster than was ever intended....once you get by the surge, that is. Bigger isn't always better.
When I mentioned the difference in cold side sizes I wasn't discussing the wheel sizes; specifically I was discussing the difference in the cold side housings. Look at this linked page comparing the the 1756 turbo and the 2056 turbos:
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....56vk-turbocharger-with-vacuum-conversion.html
These two turbos have the same compressor wheel and have different characteristics, that is what I was trying to convey above.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
When I mentioned the difference in cold side sizes I wasn't discussing the wheel sizes; specifically I was discussing the difference in the cold side housings. Look at this linked page comparing the the 1756 turbo and the 2056 turbos:
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....56vk-turbocharger-with-vacuum-conversion.html
These two turbos have the same compressor wheel and have different characteristics, that is what I was trying to convey above.
Isn't that Darkside link for GTB turbo's or have you listed it just for comparison?, doesn't the OP have a 1st gen GT series VNT?.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Yes it is a Darkside page, but I just wanted to compare the same size compressor wheel in two different sized housings; the larger the compressor size housing with the same size wheel equates to more RPM is needed. If you are building a high RPM race engine, then that will give you what you want, but I don't believe it will make the best daily driver.

DT_Tuning

TDI
Fabia VRS
A smaller aspect ratio on the compressor effectively moves the efficiency island up in pressure ratio. That is likely a good thing for us.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Sorry about the delay in reaspons, the holiday has been keeping me busy. Here are the wheel sizes, the turbine is 43/37.5mm and the compressor wheel 38.6/52mm. Its a PD150 turbo with a 52mm billet Compressor wheel. Went with the gt22 housing as it make for a more pnp onstead of having to get the adapter. From what i see its basically a vnt17/22.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Ah, 200 bhp shouldn't be too difficult with a 17/22. I'm sure it's been done before.

DT_Tuning

TDI
Fabia VRS
Ah, 200 bhp shouldn't be too difficult with a 17/22. I'm sure it's been done before.
I have done this personally, but I don't think it's really the best practice as the turbo is close to it's limit. If this is your goal I wouldn't use this turbo simply for the sake of reliability.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
200 CHP is no problem with that turbo. I have done 210-225 WHP with the same size turbo countless times.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
So i finally got to installing all the new parts yesterday. I ended up going with a carter 72gph 5-9psi lift pump and i built a compete turbo back, down pipe is 2.5" and the rest is 3" all v bands as i cant stand slip fits and or bolted flanges.

So full list of everything done to date is.
GT17/52V AKA VNT17/22 6+6 billet compressor wheel turbo made by Xman Turbos
Malone stage 5 custom tune
Bosio stage 1 5 hole race520 .260 nozzles
11mm IP
72GPH lift pump
PD150 inake manifold
3 bar map sensor
upgraded SMIC
1.8T pancake pipe
2.5 upper intercooler pipe
2.5" downpipe
3" cat back

I believe thats everything

So now i just need to do some data logs for Malone tuning to see if they need to change anything in the tune. Once that looks good i have access to two mustang dynos, one is only a year old and tends to read very low and the other is a bit older and tends to read more like a dyno jet.

Last edited:

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Looks good!
Thanks, surprisingly i have very little smoke and EGT are low too. I did a couple of 3rd gear pulls from 1500 to 4800 and EGT maxed out at 678F.

Malone had sent 2 sets of chips i went straight to the chips marked max fuel. I still think i could use some more fuel seeing as the smoke level is very low just a puff on spool up then its clear behind me.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
EGTs are a bit lower with the EGR position I imagine but that's a bit low. Where's your injection quantity set? should drop it a few points ;)

Last edited:

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
EGTs are a bit lower with the EGR position I imagine. Where's your injection quantity set? should drop it a few points ;)
Let me know what you want me to log and ill get those to you guys. I do have a good clean 3rd gear log from 1400RPM to 4800RPM but its just group 011.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Sent ya an email. Dropping that IQ to ~4 would be a good start to see how she's behaving, should have plenty of fuel.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Are you sure your EGT reads in Fahrenheit and not Celsius? That number seems waaaaay too low!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Or post turbine... Or too short probe installed on the EGR port...

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Im thinking the probe might be too short as its in the EGR port i have a longer one on it way.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
IQ 7.0 is very lean on the pump you can drop that to max 2.0
do you have vag com ? read out the pumpvoltage than you have little idea if its max fuel in the software.