ALH piston, rod & ring Upgrade?

Chuck78

TDI
Suzuki Samurai LWB / 1.9mTDI project, '02 1.9TDI Jetta Wagon Stage 1 tuned, '82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6TD
the nose of the crank when building a auto crank to convert.... the bearing we prefer is the OEM needle bearing. However, we do not think the bearing should protrude from its' housing. The ARL crank or a properly modified crank nose are the way to go.
How does one go about modifying the auto trans BHW crank to accept a fully flush installed pilot bearing? Are there adapters available to do this? It seems that it'd have to be a bolt-on conversion, as the BHW crank is simply missing half the protruding material that the pilot bearing sits into...

I have the BHW bottom end, so I may plan on using that still and drilling and tapping the 3 or so holes needed to run the ALH timing idler and front main seal carrier, but now you've got me wanting to look further into how to easily identify the 2002.5 & 2003 ALH blocks, as it sounds that they are every bit as strong as the BHW blocks.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Post #84 gives detail for checking blocks for the heavier casting.

To modify the existing crank requires a decent size lathe and the right material. The rest is putting your machining skills to work.

Chuck78

TDI
Suzuki Samurai LWB / 1.9mTDI project, '02 1.9TDI Jetta Wagon Stage 1 tuned, '82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6TD
Post #84 gives detail for checking blocks for the heavier casting.

To modify the existing crank requires a decent size lathe and the right material. The rest is putting your machining skills to work.
Yup, got that, thanks! I meant I need to read that while looking at the blocks in person.
Busy tonight wrenching on the wife's Triumph Bonneville & cussing at my Mk4 Jetta door locks/handles & cable-operated window regulators, poorly designed imo, all of the above. Luckily the brakes, suspension, engine, & trans are at least nothing short of engineering masterpieces in my book.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
You have my sympathies for German door latch engineering. It's design obsolescence built right in...