Braided Steel Turbo Oil Feed Line?

poxxxy

TDI
2002 MK IV GT TDI PD 150
Old thread revival again, long time turbo conversion in the making :). MK4 1.9 TDI ARL PD 150 with VNT 17 standard... now will be fitted with a hybrid turbo i've had built up for me. It has a Merc 2260VKLR CHRA and cold side on a BMW 2260VK exhaust housing (v-bands).

Now I need to figure out what oil line connections I need... at the moment the water/oil flange has been tapped and fitted with what looks to be a standard oil union for the oil inlet. On the oil return outlet we have a push fit connection screwed into the flange of around 1/2" outer diameter (ID of pipe will need to be 1/2"), water inlet has a 3/8 outer diameter push fit (ID of pipe will need to be 3/8").

I am unsure on what thread exactly is on the standard turbo union.

What size is the banjo on oil filter housing end?

Yesterday I picked up the push in water return pipe (that bolts onto the CHRA) from mercedes. I'm not yet sure how this will fit.

The oil return is also a little bit of a puzzle.

I need to try and get some hoses made up as they are the last piece of the puzzle in this turbo conversion project (apart from actually seeing if everything fits ok!).

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What size is the banjo on oil filter housing end?
12mm, coarse thread (I forget the pitch exactly, but it looks like 1.75 on the one sitting here)

ETA: shut up dummy past me, future me now knows it is m12x1.5

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I will try to find the vendor, but I bought a Golf/Jetta flex line off ebay for $30.00 or so and it has the banjo on one end, and a 90 on the other end. It has been problem free for many miles. On my turbo there is a oil flow restricting "washer" that is between the oil fitting and the turbo body, and did not cause any troubles for the oil supply as my turbos have not had oiling issues. The factory got it right this time...

raenglehart

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
I came across this thread.
http://www.ptaaron.com/oil-line/
Has anybody tried to make their own such as the link above?
I was looking into doing that as well, but after looking up all the parts, it came out to be almost $65 and that was via eBay.
I'm going to go after the one piece flex line as mentioned by several others throughout this thread and others. I'm running stock stuff, and no plans to make any big power upgrades any time soon. Factory line cracked at the turbo end connection on me about a week ago. I'll also replace the turbo union fitting as well since I have it out.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Bump again, will the noted turbo chra banjo bolt fit into a GTC1549VZ?

ClimbRunOm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
Sorry to necro an old post, but I picked up a braided stainless (Teflon) hose +fittings from our local hydraulic shop, ($80! [emoji15]) and I was thinking about making a little heat shield to insulate it slightly from the exhaust manifold...

I was thinking either wrapping the turbo side in some of that fiberglass exhaust tape ($5), OR making a little sheet metal heat shield (1hr)... (Or both)

Has anyone added any insulation to their flexible turbo oil feed line?

EDIT: did anyone use Teflon tape on the threads when installing the line?

EDIT2: This is for an ALH TDI

Last edited:

jwrb

TDI
Caddy MK2 ALH, Cordoba Vario ASV, Cordoba Vario Cupra 1.9 High Power Build
Sorry to necro an old post, but I picked up a braided stainless (Teflon) hose +fittings from our local hydraulic shop, ($80! [emoji15]) and I was thinking about making a little heat shield to insulate it slightly from the exhaust manifold...

I was thinking either wrapping the turbo side in some of that fiberglass exhaust tape ($5), OR making a little sheet metal heat shield (1hr)... (Or both)

Has anyone added any insulation to their flexible turbo oil feed line?

EDIT: did anyone use Teflon tape on the threads when installing the line?

EDIT2: This is for an ALH TDI
If you are going to put heat insulation on the line, use dedicated hose heat insulation. it's somewhat rubbery on the outside, OR make a little metal heat shield.

I've never found that it''s needed, but if you want to be cautious feel free.

The threads should not need ny teflon tape due to copper washers etc, however if you have a non-stock type of fitting, it may possibly be needed.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I have the parts used listed somewhere on here. I might be able to find them. However, I replaced the banjo fitting with a straight threaded fitting.
Most I have seen dispatch with the banjo fitting.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Troubled1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
So I see alot of the older cars with these braided feed lines but I can't seem to find any info on the newer common rails. It appears that nobody makes the same line for the newer motors. Am I wrong? 2013 Passat TDI BTW.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Which engine code?

Round exhaust ports this will work;

Oval exhaust ports;

Troubled1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
The only thing I can find is a sticker on the timing cover that has CKR-02260 on it. No stamp plate as many have indicated there should be.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........