2000 Jetta Tdi Can Bus or not Can Bus?

dragnet

TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
I've read so many posts I'm going cross eyed!

Thought I would ask before I take my dash apart to confirm.

I'm looking at upgrading my gauge cluster to the full featured FIS cluster. My car is a 2000 Jetta Tdi. Is there any way to confirm I have Can Bus, other then actually taking the existing gauge cluster out and getting the part number? (I believe it is 919 for non-Can-Bus and 920 for Can Bus).

My second question is regarding the stereo and steering wheel controls. Is it possible to retrofit a Can Bus stereo with steering wheel controls into a 2000 Jetta Tdi? If so would that give me a proper can-bus connector to the stereo unit itself?

The reason I ask is that I bought this stereo off ebay:

Nav/bluetooth head unit

I can get the head unit with a Can Bus connector or with the ISO connector. From what I can tell my car has the ISO connector right now (At least that is what it looked like when I pulled the stereo yesterday). Wondering if I can modify my car to take the Can Bus version of the stereo?

TIA, I'm new here and have tried to search the best I can regarding the steering wheel/stereo Can Bus upgrade, but haven't found much. That probably means it can't be done!

FOG

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 2-Door
I've read so many posts I'm going cross eyed!

Thought I would ask before I take my dash apart to confirm.

I'm looking at upgrading my gauge cluster to the full featured FIS cluster. My car is a 2000 Jetta Tdi. Is there any way to confirm I have Can Bus, other then actually taking the existing gauge cluster out and getting the part number? (I believe it is 919 for non-Can-Bus and 920 for Can Bus).

My second question is regarding the stereo and steering wheel controls. Is it possible to retrofit a Can Bus stereo with steering wheel controls into a 2000 Jetta Tdi? If so would that give me a proper can-bus connector to the stereo unit itself?

The reason I ask is that I bought this stereo off ebay:

Nav/bluetooth head unit

I can get the head unit with a Can Bus connector or with the ISO connector. From what I can tell my car has the ISO connector right now (At least that is what it looked like when I pulled the stereo yesterday). Wondering if I can modify my car to take the Can Bus version of the stereo?

TIA, I'm new here and have tried to search the best I can regarding the steering wheel/stereo Can Bus upgrade, but haven't found much. That probably means it can't be done!
I know that 2000 and my 2002 A-4 Jetta/Golf are not Can-Bus sys. I think the 2004 and were the first A-4s to have Can-Bus sys. If you are a wiring wizard you may get the Nav. to work but I don't think so. As far as I know that are no kits to do it.
FOG:)