Window Tint?

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Got my windows tinted today. Went with 15% all around. I really like the look.

As far as being Illegal, the guy that did mine had 2 options to get out of a ticket. Dr.'s Excuse or a toggle switch.

Wire a simple toggle to kill the power to the window switch. Mount switch in a hidden location. When you see red and blue lights, roll windows down, flip switch. When cop asks to roll up windows so he can check with his camera, kindly tell him they have been broken for months and he can try to roll them up if he would like.
If he can't check them to prove they are illegal, he can't ticket you for them.:p

Here's a few pic's.

Yacko

TDI
2011 Jetta
I have the gray Jetta TDi as well and all though I Live in canada ours laws are different. But I still did 5% on the rear and 20% on the front. It looks great to me !

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
We did 50% in the front and 30% in the rear. I really like how clear my vision is in the rear. No problems at night. The only issues would be the fuzzyness around the defrosters, and my polarized sunglasses!!! I see rainbows on everyone else's glass and the tempered dot matrix. I believe it's called harmonic distortion. No one mentioned that about ceramic tint. I love my polarized Smith's!

$290 installed for Formula One Pinnacle Tint.

post op

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
looks good, i'd love to get 50% F1 done.

Did it knock down the heat inside that fish tank?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Very much so, the 50% was pretty dang good considering how light it actually is. We were driving with regular air while roadtripping at 78*-80F. That's unheard of for me.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
Removing and Replacing Existing Tint

My existing tint on the rear window has developed a growing bubble. I want to remove and replace with darker. Any recommendations on DIY remove and replace?

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My existing tint on the rear window has developed a growing bubble. I want to remove and replace with darker. Any recommendations on DIY remove and replace?
I wouldn't want to use a steam cleaner on the back window (unless it's a hatch and you can open it all the way).

For removal, spray with ammonia and carefully remove with a razor blade. Be careful around the rear defroster lines. The ammonia will break up the adhesive to get it off cleanly.

I would start in an inconspicuous corner and move out from there.

Edit: Windex contains ammonia which is why you shouldn't use it to clean tinted windows.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Get a note from your doctor on a legal affidavit take it to the dmv and have them stamp it, you will never worry about how dark your window tint is again. Of course you actually have to have a medical condition, otherwise you can be indicted for purjury.
Doesn't really matter a doctor can't trump local laws the police can still ticket you.

With the modern ceramic or metallic window tints you don't need to go as dark unless your after privacy. I typically stick with 35% tint that turns out to be around 22-25% on the window (OEM glass usually has around 80-90%). If you go any darker its for appearance or privacy.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
I went with 20% all around, got it done a few months ago. Definitely keeps the car alot cooler, I can get in it after being parked in the sun for a while and its not totally unbearable like it used to be.