2009-2010 Jetta grill removal

kls89027

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I would like to remove the grill of my 2010 Jetta, so that I can install a bug screen in front of the radiator/condenser. Does anyone know how to do this?
I've removed the bolts from the top of the grill, and it seems to want to pull straight ahead and possibly pop out. But, I hate to take the chance of breaking something.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The pictures from Vortex help, but what they don't seem to show is the hood release. which can be a problem. There is a pin that holds it in place. Spread the forked end of the hood release handle wide enough to remove the pin that holds it in place. I keep a magnet at the ready, as the pin is small and easily dropped. Be careful with the clips that hold the grill in place. They can snap. Once the top clips are released, the grill lifts out.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Frank, the '09's don't have the little tongue that pops out of the front of the grill like the older models had. The '09 is like a regular car now where you stick your fingers under the popped hood and lift up on the little handle.

When removing the grill there are two screws on top of the grill and two screws below the big chrome strip at the corners. The top screws use a torx bit and the lower screws use a phillips head screwdriver. There are also two pinch tabs located just to the sides of the latch mechanism on the top that need to be squeezed when you go to pull the grill out.

Remove the four screws, depress the pinch clips and the entire grill will lift out. It's literally a 5 minute process and I work very slowly.

Note: I just reviewed the links above. The first link shows exactly what to remove. You only need the first picture if you're only removing the grill itself.

Last edited:

kls89027

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thanks guys for your replies. I am a newby and was pretty lost. This forum is a tremendous resource. I hope I can return the favors.
Best regards,
Ken