www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 20th, 2011, 17:54   #1
TDI_DEB

Fuel Economy: was getting low 40's after timing adaption getting mid to high 40's
Default Going to sell my TDI soon; should I wait for $6.00 gas?

We have out grown our beloved 2002 GLS TDI Jetta Wagon. Although we totally enjoy the car, it just doesn't work with a rear facing baby seat and a booster seat. So, I'm in the process of getting it ready to sell: cleaning it up inside and out and doing the scheduled maintenance. It's paid for so it doesn't cost me anything but aggravation from the wife to sit on a month or two.

My friend who is a long time car salesman says to hold it, he says people are already paying more for a used KIA than it cost new and its going to get crazier in the next couple of months.

It needs a new windshield like every car in Washington; I'm hesitant to have it replaced before I have a buy as the windshield in my other car only lasted 20 minutes

I also have the HEX-COM cable, Bentley Manual, timing belt tools, and the alternator clutch remover tool as I planned to keep the car forever. Depending on the buyer, I would let the tools go with the car or sell them here.
TDI_DEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 18:06   #2
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

I just tonight found a way to fit a newborn seat in between two booster seats in the back of my '01 Golf so I do not understand statement: "...it just doesn't work with a rear facing baby seat and a booster seat." Make it work!
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 18:08   #3
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Yup. Sell high, buy low. Can't ever go wrong with that.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 18:14   #4
TDI_DEB

Fuel Economy: was getting low 40's after timing adaption getting mid to high 40's
Default I'm too tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarfBLAST View Post
I just tonight found a way to fit a newborn seat in between two booster seats in the back of my '01 Golf so I do not understand statement: "...it just doesn't work with a rear facing baby seat and a booster seat." Make it work!
I see from your avatar, I'll need to climb in through the sunroof.
Old April 20th, 2011, 18:57   #5
jasongind
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know yet, just got the car 1/2/2012

Keep it as long as you can. I also live in WA and just got a hold of my '03 Wagon GLS Auto at the end of Jan. I was recently looking at the same cars online and can not find one that is even within $2,000 of what I paid.

Even with the price of diesel ($2.59) a mile down the road from me, I still pay less per mile to drive then those in "high mileage" (38-40 mpg) gassers. I am anout to fill up and have 689 miles on this take and its all mixed driving. Getting rid of the BMW 7 series ($125+ a week in fuel when it was $3.499/gal)for this was the best financial decision I've made in a while.

I say make it work, the kids will out grow those seats and be in booster seats before you know it. If you get a bigger gas car its going to get no more then ~30 mpg hwy, so your looking at a nice fuel bill now. A little cramped for a little while, or the wallet more cramped forever. I'd choose a little cramped for a short time.

Last edited by jasongind; April 20th, 2011 at 19:00.
jasongind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 22:46   #6
thesearcherman
Veteran Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongind View Post
Keep it as long as you can. I also live in WA and just got a hold of my '03 Wagon GLS Auto at the end of Jan. I was recently looking at the same cars online and can not find one that is even within $2,000 of what I paid.
Even with the price of diesel ($2.59) a mile down the road from me, I still pay less per mile to drive then those in "high mileage" (38-40 mpg) gassers. I am anout to fill up and have 689 miles on this take and its all mixed driving. Getting rid of the BMW 7 series ($125+ a week in fuel when it was $3.499/gal)for this was the best financial decision I've made in a while.
I say make it work, the kids will out grow those seats and be in booster seats before you know it. If you get a bigger gas car its going to get no more then ~30 mpg hwy, so your looking at a nice fuel bill now. A little cramped for a little while, or the wallet more cramped forever. I'd choose a little cramped for a short time.
Why not wait for $10 gas? Last time gas went to $4.00, it came down to $1.40 just before elections. Funny how that works........
thesearcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:11   #7
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Deb, I would definately keep the TDI.
$2.59 for diesel? This has got to be a typo. $4.09 last time I looked in my area, but cheaper than Gas, hahaha.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:17   #8
xTheChadx
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 81 Dasher

sorry to thread jack but its $4.09 here in Wichita KS and Gas is only $3.55..... so im feeling the pinch... but to the OP i say keep it, it will be better in the long run
Old April 21st, 2011, 19:05   #9
jasongind
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB05 View Post
Deb, I would definately keep the TDI.
$2.59 for diesel? This has got to be a typo. $4.09 last time I looked in my area, but cheaper than Gas, hahaha.

Yes, that was a typo, sorry. It's $4.29/gal down the street.
Old April 21st, 2011, 19:09   #10
jasongind
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesearcherman View Post
Why not wait for $10 gas? Last time gas went to $4.00, it came down to $1.40 just before elections. Funny how that works........
Fuel prices never dropped that low around here, even just around the elections. I have not seen any grade less then $2.25/gal since 2004 and that was in Lower Alabama when I left flight school at Ft. Rucker.

Gas will not hit $10/gal, I don't think it will get above $5/gal honestly. But if he is set on getting rid of it why not hold it as long as possible and get the absolute best price out of it he can. If he holds it too long and prices drop before he gets rid of it, well then just another reason to keep it right.
Old April 21st, 2011, 21:05   #11
thesearcherman
Veteran Member

Default goggle it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongind View Post
Fuel prices never dropped that low around here, even just around the elections. I have not seen any grade less then $2.25/gal since 2004 and that was in Lower Alabama when I left flight school at Ft. Rucker.

Gas will not hit $10/gal, I don't think it will get above $5/gal honestly. But if he is set on getting rid of it why not hold it as long as possible and get the absolute best price out of it he can. If he holds it too long and prices drop before he gets rid of it, well then just another reason to keep it right.
Just do a search for gas prices end Oct., first Nov. 2008. Bottomed out here at about $1.40. The point is, it can come down real fast, and so can the price of these cars, like musical chairs.
thesearcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 22:46   #12
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

TDI_DEB, I say keep the car. I had a rear facing car seat and booster in mine and am now with the front facing and booster. I have no problems. My wife thinks everytime we go to see her parents we need to take the entire dresser and the toy box. I promise you can make it work. I think you will regret getting rid of the TDI.

On the other hand, if you decide to sell the tools let me know.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 272K miles. Malone stage 3. Titan 502 big hole injectors. VNT17 turbo. BuzzKen 2.5" down pipe. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:46   #13
bigtom111
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI_DEB View Post
...It needs a new windshield like every car in Washington; I'm hesitant to have it replaced before I have a buy as the windshield in my other car only lasted 20 minutes .
Is that because of all the random gunfire?
1998 Jetta TDI, 248,000
1997 Passat TDI, 375,000 miles
bigtom111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:10   #14
TDI_DEB

Default Just gravel, our streets are littered with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom111 View Post
Is that because of all the random gunfire?

Just gravel, a lot of people have gravel driveways and track the stuff on to the freeway. As soon as the get up to speed it flys out of the tire tread.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 23:57   #15
jcilforever
Veteran Member

The rear facing car seats do not last a long time they will be in forward facing before you know it just my 2 cents.
jcilforever is offline   Reply With Quote