MN Chat Thread

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Nick, I stopped by there Friday..the tranny and shift box was still there... lots of other parts have already been stripped out. V Dubs are very popular out there. When I was getting my doors at East Bethel, there were 2 other people pulling from the same car!
David

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
howdy folks... i'm in town at my parents for ~12 days, putting in new suspension in my dads 2004 jetta and checking things over. i think i'm gonna get rid of the ASV and put a race pipe + pd150 intake manifold on it to clean up all those un-used connections + seals, as it's leaking oil out of various points. it's tuned up with a 17/22 so aside from the ASV closing on shutdown, it's all useless. not too worried about runaway as it's got the 17/22 and only a mild tune (22 psi), pretty sure it should be good to go.

so the question is... does anybody have an ALH upper boost hose (the elbow) in the shed since you've upgraded your intercooler pipes...? thinking $25?

edit - also, if anyone happens to have a 2" race pipe + pd150 intake manifold, i'd consider buying that as well local if the price is right :) otherwise i'll just have one of my tenants ship me my extra ones i got already. didn't think i'd be wanting to put them on my dads car.. oh well

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
so i think i found the main culprit of the leak - shop that put in the doggie collar a while ago lost and/or did not replace the o-ring on the upper boost hose. and to top it off, after seeing a suspicious little insect trapped in oily residue in the turbo inlet pipe, i find that they also had replaced the air filter (because it "looked dirty" - not sure why they were looking at it tho..) with a korea special! which of course wasn't sealed right and letting in unfiltered air. top clean part of the airbox was much dirtier than it should be grrrr.

anyone happen to have one of those special BEW intercooler pipe o-rings? iirc, they are usually green and have a groove in them. maybe i'll just order from idparts tho, since i'd like to get my parents some maintenance parts to have on hand, although i'd like them to find someone near long lake like a greengeeker who could do basic maintenance for them. gettting old having the local shop, which is decent, doing stupid (so far little at least) things to our nice tdi... :(

i'm putting in bilstein sports + h&r oe sports as soon as they arrive. new febi control arms + bushings, ball joints, swawy bar end links. i wanted to go TT, but nobody sold febi arms with febi or equivalent TT bushings pre-installed - only meyle.. i will go with TT bushings on my cars, now that i will have a spar set of control arms to play with

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
anyone near long lake (west metro) have a motive brake bleeder i can borrow for a day? :)

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
It ran fine going to work and I had stopped at daycare and one other stop. So far so good, but I think I'm going to order the injector harness. I just need to figure out if I can find it cheaper online.

And yes I'm going replace the harness first. Than I will look into seeing if I can replace the connector on the injector.
Why do you think your harness is bad? what are your symptoms? Also I would contact Aaron boraparts.com and bet he can get you one for cheapest.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Injector harness, not glow plug harness:)

He had an electrical fault code on cylinder number one(I don't have the code handy), it was misfiring badly. We pulled the valve cover, pulled the connector and put it back in, so far it sounds like its running fine and I believe he wants to just replace it so it doesn't come back. I'd personally just drive it till it happens again, then start to throw parts at it ;) But then again, I believe his wife drives this car.

Jon

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins

He had an electrical fault code on cylinder number one(I don't have the code handy), it was misfiring badly. We pulled the valve cover, pulled the connector and put it back in, so far it sounds like its running fine and I believe he wants to just replace it so it doesn't come back. I'd personally just drive it till it happens again, then start to throw parts at it ;) But then again, I believe his wife drives this car.

Jon
OOPs Mia culpa. No savings at ID parts.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG

Jon
Correct for the last month or so my wife now drives the Jetta (she has a longer commute than me) I still get to drive a diesel, the liberty. Had it just been myself I would have let it go. But I really don't want to have it break down on her.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
oh if anyone has a vag-com cable i could borrow that would be awesome! i forgot to grab it from the glovebox which is now up north in bemidji with the gf... :/ i got my laptop, just no cable...

Woookie

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
WOW! I just priced out parts at the dealer, $120 for the injector harness, $675 for each injector! $2700 for all 4. A new head which includes the injectors is only 1k more.
you called schmelz i heard the conversation.....

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
you called schmelz i heard the conversation.....
Yes I did! Too funny it's a small world.

I ended up just ordering the injector harness, with JFettig's help we installed it and everything seems fine. I would have tried to find a used injector before paying that much.

Last edited:

idleofwight

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon
sorry, i dont. But i can get the radio out for you, i installed an apline in my car. I didnt know there was a removal tool, at the time. :)

Last edited:

Minnesota_Duane

TDI
98 Beetle 63,258 at purchase
I'm wanting to improve milage and gain some power on my 98 Bug, I'm thinking about switching 5th gear but would like a little more power before doing that. It's got 69,000 and is straight piped now I am seeing between 43-47mpg depending on wind and running the ac. Whats it take to get into the 120hp range? Is there anybody semi local that can do anything with the computer?

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Phatnoise unit for sale. I know I should post it in the For Sale section but I thought I ask the locals first to save me trouble with packaging and shipping. It is the complete kit. Instructions, CD (for dino Windows systems ;) ) cradle, power cord. The unit is still in my trunk and I plan to yak it out with the mounting brackets.

Price is what you think is fair. I am moving and just don't want to pack it up.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Hey, Nick

Still doing that Nick-U-pull-It? I like to know if the Beetle has a clean trunk liner without the CD bracket cut-out.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
hey deafbug or greengeeker do you guys deal with rocketchip tuned cars very much? i just want to get my timing checked and be sure the....awesome mechanic that installed my injection pump didn't mess it up too bad....

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I'm wanting to improve milage and gain some power on my 98 Bug, I'm thinking about switching 5th gear but would like a little more power before doing that. It's got 69,000 and is straight piped now I am seeing between 43-47mpg depending on wind and running the ac. Whats it take to get into the 120hp range? Is there anybody semi local that can do anything with the computer?

Duane,

What kind of driving are you doing, I don't think 47 is bad on the bug, I have the longer gear, and just took a long trip to Ohio and back, Chipped, Injectors and AC on, about 49 MPG running at just over 70 actual. But man, is this thing nice now. The torque right at 2200 RPM is just killer, making passing such a joiy.

Green Geeker,

Want to stick a Diesel engine in my new 1986 Samurai?

Sam

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Sounds like fun! I actually sold a diesel drivetrain a few years ago to a guy who did a Sidekick. There is a drivetrain up north on CL right now if you want.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Thanks GG, I'm waiting until this engine is toast, but don't go moving away.....