MN Chat Thread

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Oh you want to start a war!!!! I like Rocketchip and that is my opinion. Many here like Kerma or Malone as with them you buy a loader that allows them to email you modification to your tunes and then you load them onto your car.

IMHO if your car is within normal tune limits, Rocketchip tune will work right the first time. If you are pushing the limits of tuning it could definitely be the case that you need the loader as the tuner won't be able to figure your car out.

Being your first tune any of them will work. I have been with Rocketchip for a long time which is why I have two ECU adapted to my car: change tunes, I Fedex my ECU to him, and run on my second ECU while I wait. Of course now you can wait until spring and someone in SE WI will have a GTG and Jeff will show up and tune you on the spot.

Yeah, I suppose it's war zone :) I've looked at rocketchip, and kerma's websites. I need to make some calls and ask 100's of stupid questions. thanks for the heads up on Malone.

I'm not going to go to crazy. Simple, egr delete, intake, exhaust, clutch for now and see how things hold up. I do like the programmer idea vs sending stuff in. Take it slow like I did with my truck.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
You just tell Jeff: my car has a _turbo and _injectors and _ clutch and I want XXX hp; and then he gives you a tune for your car. With the stock turbo RC3 is the highest you can go as it pushes the turbo as far as it can go 18 psi; RC4 in my car goes to 26 psi.

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
So I have this HX35w sitting in my lap and I have a sawz-all with metal blades ready to go, all I need is a car to canibalize, I mean work with. It'll fit oh some how It'll fit!!!!!

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
Hx35 is small ;-)
might be small on a 5.9L it's huge on a 2.0L!!!! And I love how cheap these are to rebuild. a garret VNT might be a "better" solution in terms of overall package, but the cost to buy and rebuild makes the HX35 way way to nice.

Now to get the 2256v sourced.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Sorry I missed the GTG on Saturday. I had to make a run to Iowa City to get #3 child to college.
I did have something happen a few time on the trip. When I would accelerate in 4th up a ramp to merge, the engine would cut out at about 3500 rpm, felt like I lost boost. I assume limp mode since I could shut down, and restart and have boost again. It did this 4 times to me.
SO, if it went into limp mode, would there be a code stored? I had no CEL.
So far I have;
Replaced all vacuum lines, even inside the ECU.
New fuel filter <10k miles ago.
Cleaned snow screen
Cleaned intake manifold
Replaced timing belt

any ideas??

ritc0046

TDI
03' jetta
Minneapolis mechanics

Anyone know a good mechanic in Minneapolis that does timing belts fairly cheap? mine is looks fine but is getting up there in miles.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
So far I'm liking my new little car. It definitely needs some motor work. I fueled it up and added a healthy dose of PowerService. Boy was it weird to be at a diesel pump with a "car". hehehe. Air filter was trash. My Amsoil stuff should be arriving tomorrow. I'll do the fuel filter and get to the snow filter for sure.

It struggles at 85mph for a little high speed run. Seems to lose and gain power. at 3400-ish rpm in 4th it's struggling but pulls fine to 4000 in 1st and 2nd.. Smooth. very smooth. I'm thinking it's just fuel filter and possibly EGR related are my novice guesses. Possibly the snow filter isn't the best either.

Due to work I think I'll hold off a week on the oil and transmission fluid changes. Give me two weeks to drive "normally" and get a gauge on fuel mileage. I do have 2 trips to owatonna planned in the next week so I'll burn some fuel up quicker then normal

It does have some suspension noise on the front I'll need to look at.

So far so good!

I'm curious tho if anyone has any free time in the near future that would be willing to trade time for beer and connect any computer diag tools to make sure boost, temps, ect ect are with in spec. Also maybe take it for a drive to see how it "feels". I have no idea what's considered what as far as the driving experience and a seasoned TDI driver in this style car would.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
One more thing. anyone have any suggestions on a cheap place around town to get a second Key? Car only came with one :( Dealer for the most part the only option?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How did the DP install go Chris? How does it sound?
The install went pretty well and my stainless chain cutter worked nicely too. It doesn't sound much different as this is phase 1 and the back half of the stock exhaust is still there. The EGT do climb slower though and that is a good thing.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Alignment shop north metro to take my car too? I figure before I put my winter tires on I should correct the alignment issue evident on my front tire on the side where I changed the tie rod end. Of course I am wearing out the front tires this summer with my RC4 tune. :)

rsewill

TDI
'03 Jetta automatic '04 Passat wagon
Hi,

First time poster but occasional lurker and not TDI savvy even though I have had one for 6 years. I just drive it and change the oil, rinse and repeat.

I just bought a 2004 Passat TDI wagon from a used car dealer via an eBay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250682290651

Unfortunately it came with only one regular electronic key/fob and one valet key. My local dealer (Eich Motors, St. Cloud, MN) charges about $200 (w/tax) to provide a key. I have searched the forum where this is a frequent topic and have found that $200 is actually not an unreasonable price for a one stop key buying experience. Any significantly cheaper alternatives?? On eBay I can find uncut keys with cases-only as well as keys with electronics from people who likely have gotten rid of their cars. I assume I could buy an uncut key (with case) and install the electronics from an eBay key, then have it cut by a locksmith and reprogram it myself. Almost takes me up to $200 right there.

Also, the seller included the window sticker. Here is a scan:

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/rsewill/sticker.jpg

What does "Leather Seating Surfaces" mean on the window sticker? Leatherette or real leather? Hard for me to tell just by looking at it and feeling it. I have leatherette in my '03 Jetta TDI sedan (bought new but now has 101k miles) but it is cheapy aftermarket conversion and doesn't have the 'quality' look and feel of the Passat's 'surfaces'. But the Passat doesn't have the suppleness or appearance of leather I have had in some older cars.

Any places to buy a good 505.01 oil besides the dealer? I use Mobil 1 in my Jetta. The forum seems all over the place on oil. Obviously a 10W-40 would be nice. I can probably find a local place that sells the Mobil VW 505.01 oil (or maybe the Pentosin or Valvoline stuff?)

Thanks,
Ron

>>>>

More info for anyone curious:

I had been looking with cash in hand for a nice '04 or '05 Passat TDI wagon for some years, checking this forum and eBay as well as using searchtempest.com to search all of Craigslist in the USA. I wanted something other than the gray exterior, gray interior of my '03 Jetta.

This one has most everything I wanted except it doesn't have power seats. I also really like the beige interior and the Samoa Red (looks brown) exterior. And with 37,500 miles on the odometer it has not even been broken-in.

Well, it had 37,500 miles. Not anymore. I called the eBay seller as soon as the posting went up (he included his phone number in the listing.) He said I called within an hour of his posting the auction but I know I called within minutes of it appearing on eBay based on my search order. It did not have a Buy It Now but did have a reserve of $12k (which I discovered by placing a $14k bid.) He also had it on his sales lot with a window price of $14,995 + his $67.50 title, etc. transfer fees. He described the car in more detail, told me it was a local trade from an older couple whom he said I was welcome to call (but I didn't), and I then offered his asking price which he accepted.

The only bad part was the added expense ($628 for two) of flying out to pick up the car. That and the $1300 in taxes, etc. at our local deputy registrar... Cortez, CO is some 1200 miles from St. Cloud, MN. My son, who will be a high school senior this year, wanted to visit two colleges in Colorado so he came with and got to visit his colleges. We flew because it wasn't practical for us to take the time to drive the Jetta to Cortez and then each drive a car back.

After I completed the transaction the dealer told me he had received a call about an hour after mine from someone who saw the Completed eBay posting and wanted to know why he had stopped the auction. The dealer said the guy sounded quite upset. Perhaps a tdiclub.com member?

The Passat is in very good condition save for a few small scratches on the lift gate and sides and now some paint chips on the front. The dealer had detailed the car which was also a nice touch. Unhappily I did get some damage while driving east on I-90 in South Dakota when we came upon a paving crew working westbound using belly dumps which were turning around to head east right after dumping their asphalt which was flying everywhere including onto 5 places on my windshield. Fortunately I have full glass coverage because the contractor (Knife River) refused to pay damages, telling me it was a 'road hazard' even though the asphalt fell off their trucks and was scattered all over the highway.

Besides the key, I also need a matching center head rest for the back seat (beige). The original owner took it out because it blocked his rear view and he could not find it anymore. Shouldn't be too hard to find from a junk yard.

My wife is very understanding.

Ps. I made a couple of attempts at formatting for paragraphs - hope it works this time.

Last edited:

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Your N75 might be getting tired. You need to do some logs to see what your boost is doing.
Right on the money Nick!

Farmboy hooked me up with his VAG-Com. Thanks Farmboy!:D

Error 575 Intake Manifold Pressure
17-10 Control Difference - Intermittent.

I was able to cross reference that one to the N75. Whats the best place to pick one up from?

It is also throwing a 750 error Warning lamp
31-10 Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent:confused:

Now I need to play with this software a little to figure it all out!

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Unfortunately it came with only one regular electronic key/fob and one valet key. My local dealer (Eich Motors, St. Cloud, MN) charges about $200 (w/tax) to provide a key. I have searched the forum where this is a frequent topic and have found that $200 is actually not an unreasonable price for a one stop key buying experience. Any significantly cheaper alternatives?? On eBay I can find uncut keys with cases-only as well as keys with electronics from people who likely have gotten rid of their cars. I assume I could buy an uncut key (with case) and install the electronics from an eBay key, then have it cut by a locksmith and reprogram it myself. Almost takes me up to $200 right there.
$200 is a reasonable price (up to $290 in the twin cities) and almost no hassle on your part.
Also, the seller included the window sticker. Here is a scan:
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/rsewill/sticker.jpg
What does "Leather Seating Surfaces" mean on the window sticker? Leatherette or real leather? Hard for me to tell just by looking at it and feeling it. I have leatherette in my '03 Jetta TDI sedan (bought new but now has 101k miles) but it is cheapy aftermarket conversion and doesn't have the 'quality' look and feel of the Passat's 'surfaces'. But the Passat doesn't have the suppleness or appearance of leather I have had in some older cars.
So far as I know, the only available non-cloth material was the leatherette. It's pretty nice, and will stand up to wear and tear much better than real leather.
Any places to buy a good 505.01 oil besides the dealer? I use Mobil 1 in my Jetta. The forum seems all over the place on oil. Obviously a 10W-40 would be nice. I can probably find a local place that sells the Mobil VW 505.01 oil (or maybe the Pentosin or Valvoline stuff?)

Thanks,
Ron
After a LOT of reading and research, I decided to use the Mobile 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (commonly referred to on the forum as M1 TDT). Essentially the research suggests that this oil is better for the engine than true 505.01. If you do insist on 505.01 (for the warranty), make sure you find a 5W-40, as most now are 5W-30.

In any case, big congrats on the purchase! We're extremely happy with our 05 Wagon and it has 104k on it. You got it for a steal with that kind of mileage.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What does "Leather Seating Surfaces" mean on the window sticker? Leatherette or real leather?
Congratulations on the new Passat -- sounds like you got a pretty good deal out of it!

"Leather seating surfaces" means that the tops of the seat cushions (and, sometimes, the head restraint) are genuine leather, but the stuff you don't typically touch (like the front of the seat, back, etc.) are "leatherette" or vinyl. Just a way for seat makers to offer a "leather" seat for less $$.

rsewill said:
Any places to buy a good 505.01 oil besides the dealer?
I'm not sure about St. Cloud, but I'd guess there are "oil distributors" up there; they should be able to get pretty much anything you'd want (at least from the major petro companies). There certainly are businesses like that here in The Cities; I've been getting my Rotella by the case from Hallman in St. Paul.

rsewill said:
After I completed the transaction the dealer told me he had received a call about an hour after mine from someone who saw the Completed eBay posting and wanted to know why he had stopped the auction. The dealer said the guy sounded quite upset. Perhaps a tdiclub.com member?
Or maybe just someone familiar with eBay's and craigslist terms of service. Good that it worked out for you, but craigslist does not permit cross-posting for eBay auctions, and ending an eBay auction early because the same item was sold on craigslist skirts their ToS, too. Could also be that Mr. Angrycaller was planning to snipe the auction and get the Passat for just over what anyone else bid.