oil sump diaper! throw away?

Vcreation

TDI
13 Tiguan TDI
hey guys, my diaper is a little oily, i removed it and check seems like no oil leak from turbo, rocker cover, head. unlikely from oil pan gasket. i degrease the area and there is no leak. what is the use of this diaper? is it necessary? should i put it back or throw away?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
If this is a diesel then it is likely a sound damper, not diaper...But I could be wrong.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Both sound and heat. Diesels run cool vs gas and if your in a climate that has cold winters ( freezing or lower) this and the one for your battery and the one on the underside of the hood, combined with your EGR is a really important part of getting the max fuel economy and longevity of the car. It's not critical, as in it will run with out it, but highly suggest you keep everything to keep the temp up in winter.
It's more a compliance towards sound and emissions but also serves as a comfort item.
Best suggestion here is to soak it in some degreaser and rinse it out and let it dry and put it back. Before you do, add some UV leak finder to the oil system after cleaning the entire engine and bay. You will find the leak really fast that way. My guess is that if all the parts you listed dont have obvious leaks, it's probably the rear main seal. If it is, leave it alone unless your losing oil fast.

Vcreation

TDI
13 Tiguan TDI
I see. Thank u for the details. Can't be rear main seal as the area I can see the tooth of flywheel exposed where it connect to transmission is bone dry. Oil pan is oily near the front. Rocker cover, head, turbo are all bone dry. So either oil pan or near crank pulley. I'll see how it goes maybe chance it when time to change timing belt together or re-seal the oil pan on next oil change if from pan.

That makes alot of sense now. I'm on Australia so it doesn't get very cold in winter now I'm driving without it. It make sense as very cold air going from under grill straight to the sump pan effectively act as an oil cooler. Haven't been driving much but in winter my oil temp is180f when cruising on highway. Maybe put the diaper back will heat up abit. ;-)