Window regulators gone glass dropped friday night in france cant find any wood about

Chris150pd

TDI
Mk4 1.9 150
Hi guys .

In south west France countryside window regulators gone
It's hot. Passenger door has wood holding it went few weeks ago..drivers side went bang and glass dropped

Now looking for some wood on the ground somewhere anyone got any other options to get this glass up to make car secure also is there a official part number for a window regulator repair kit .or anything a vw dealer can sell me to do a cheap fix on roadside over weekend. Plenty of repair kits on ebay Amazon but is there anything I can get from vw to fix it here and now or tomorrow ?? Can you buy the clips on their own?

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Just pop the door cards off, raise the glass by hand, and fix it in place with whatever method is most appealing to you. The window regulators may not be the problem, but you'll have time to inspect them and the window clips (which sometimes rust out or get loose, dropping the glass off the track).

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Tape should work, though it's ugly and leaves a mess. Those window regulator kits are all but non-existent over here. Years ago VW sold a kit to replace one side, repair the other. You may have to go to the wreckers. Doing this job the first time is quite annoying.

Chris150pd

TDI
Mk4 1.9 150
Hi.. Thanks all..car is a 2002 build mk4 Golf 1.9 150 hp ARL 5 door black Right hand drive uk car
..obviously france is left hand drive .theres not that many differences between left hand drive and right hand drive other than the obvious

I have door card off.

France is not like uk ..Its hard to find car spare shops like in uk.
And breakers are not open until monday..

I need to find some wood the right size as have no means of cutting it ...the hunt continues ...thanks for your help all.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Any wedge shape piece of wood or plastic will hold the window in place.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
There’s a screwdriver wedged in the window of my parts beetle to keep it up. Just get the glass up and wedge something between the glass and the panel.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Does the motor spin when you try to raise the window? If so, remove the exterior rubber molding on the bottom side of the window by pulling it upwards, grab the window and pull/push it back up into the closed position, and then raise the mechanism with the switch in order to secure the window in place.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Tape should work, though it's ugly and leaves a mess. Those window regulator kits are all but non-existent over here. Years ago VW sold a kit to replace one side, repair the other. You may have to go to the wreckers. Doing this job the first time is quite annoying.
Use painters tape beneath the duct tape, cleans up nicely and suitable for multiple applications throughout severe weather until such time more adequate repairs can be made

Chris150pd

TDI
Mk4 1.9 150
Thanks so much .. it's got a screwdriver in there ..it was hard work removing tbe panel under the door card with the little spanner from the tool kit in the spare wheel but it did the job .. I got some tape too thanks guys

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Suction cups are what I use to hold the window up. Sold in pairs held together with a cable that wraps over the top of the window.

Chris150pd

TDI
Mk4 1.9 150
It goes from bad to worst ... started using air con now ...pretty hot recently and whilst it blows cold...as soon as you turn it on you can feel a massive reduction in power from the engine and some crazy squeaks from the belt.
And whilst turn the steering .
Power steering fluid not leaking ..
The big pulley on the bottom on the serpintine auxiliary belt looks like its wobbling from the top when u look down

Is this crankshaft pulley can it affect air con steering noises

The golf only done 140.000 it never breaks down doesnt use any oil water solid ...but in the last week its leaking transmission oil. Making noises from gearbox
So hot inside ...and now this
Shane it's a great car a few odd and sods gonna send it to the wreckers as gonna cost at least 600 euro I think all this if not more.nightmare to be honest .

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Thinking it could be the compressor clutch is locking up instead of engaging. The thing wobbling is likely the serpentine belt tensioner. It could be bad or maybe it's just reacting to whatever is stressing the engine. Not much help, I know.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
What it looks like is that the harmonic balancer pulley is either very worn (if you're lucky) or the central crank bolt has worked loose (if you're not) and the pulley is wobbling on the shaft.

Until you know which it is the car really should be parked. If it's a loose crank bolt it's very close to letting go... and when it does pistons will meet valves and you'll be looking for a lot of expensive parts... or a new engine.

The bolt is typically torqued very very tight, but if a previous mechanic tightened it with an impact wrench or the like all bets are off.

Unfortunately, when the bolt loosens enough to cause visible wobble it often means the crank snout is chewed up too... but the only way to know what's what is to get the car up in the air and find out.

Last edited:

Chris150pd

TDI
Mk4 1.9 150
Would it not be a case of tightening the bolt up if this was the case.. in regards to cost is it all fairly expensive

In my mind seems rather simple but obviously it looks fairly complicated .

Parking it up isnt an option but I know it's good advice I got to try and limp it back to my area Needs must
Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It's a single use bolt that deforms when it's torqued properly, and so can't be re-used.

Tightening requires buying or building a 4-foot steel brace that bolts to the center of the sprocket, and a breaker bar with a 4-6 foot extension.

So, unfortunately, a bit involved to deal with.

If on the other hand the harmonic damper itself is worn, that's an easier one... four hex head bolts, a normal amount of torque, and no special holder required.