What Problems Are You Having with Your Buyback Cars?

disastrogirl

TDI
2014 White Jetta SportWagen, replaced my Golf 4 door 5 spd, 2003, Indigo that was totalled :(
I'm really interested in the used Jetta Sportwagens that have been popping up lately, I'm assuming from the buyback. I noticed that they all have sat somewhere for a couple years and I'm wondering what kind of problems they might have developed while they were sitting undriven in the hot sun.

I'm looking at a 2014 Sportwagen that's manual transmission and blue, which is what I really want, but it's not a CPO so I'm worried that I'm going to get stuck with a bunch of weird and expensive problems later. Meanwhile, a local dealership has about the same thing but with an automatic transmission but it's $3500 more expensive. Also, they are kind of jerks, so I don't really want to buy from them.

What kind of problems are you having? Is it worth it to pay that much more for a CPO?

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Buy a cpo for the warranty I have bought two Jetta within a year one was a cpo other I had to add a warranty cost 2,000 and yes there's has been several claims one car had to have a new computer for central locking that cost 1,200 with diagnostic and parts and labor so I would look for a CPo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
A vcds cable and cp3 pump conversion kit will run you a bit over a grand and eliminate most of the problems. Shouldn't be a warranty issue either, if anything they'll be excited you fixed it for them. Cp4 pump failures aren't that rare, dealership won't cover it under warranty in some cases because of contaminated fuel. Would remove the fuel filter and inspect the housing for any particulate if you can.

Definitely pick up a diagnostic cable regardless if you have warranty or not, it's best to understand how these engines work and it will save you potential headache in the long run.

In general avoid cars that've sat, especially newer ones with this kind of complexity. I'd rather way more miles on a car that's regularly driven and looked after personally. Most of the nightmares online have been wiring related from rodents, brakes/tires weren't changed in some cases too. Rear calipers are known to stick.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since the HPFP and the rest of the fuel system is covered under the emissions warranty, I don't see why someone would go to the expense of swapping it out.

Regarding buyback cars, I'd go for the manual transmission car despite the lack of the CPO warranty. Given what the emissions warranty covers, I wouldn't worry about not having the CPO. And if you want a manual a DSG isn't a good substitute, not matter what people tell you.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
Last week I bought a JSW with 13k miles and CPO from several states away. It's basically the wife's car, 73 yo, so dsg was imperative that I think is fantastic.
Find out where it was originally used, mine was NC, to avoid salt states and hope it was stored in the same area of the country.
Expect some spots in the paint. The dealer I got mine from, Hall Imports, was fantastic and has a large selection. Only had it 5 days and no problems yet

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Only problem I had was the very next day and driving 250 miles my fresh from VW fix, was a CEL light came on, I checked it with my scan gauge, and it was code P20EE, meaning either sensor bad, or DEF pump not putting enough out. I reset code, and a few days later it came back. I reset it again, and it came back a few more times.

The last time it happened, I was on my way to VW to buy a 2nd key fob, so I had them check it. They said indeed DEF pump problem, but they ran it test specifically on pump, and it passed. So I said that I'd bring it back if problem got worse (i.e. happened more frequently). They didn't charge me, as it was under emissions warranty, and it never came on again!

Problem must have been due to sitting for 2 years, and essentially fixed itself.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
$3500 buys a really great extended warranty if you want that peace of mind. VW offers the Drive Easy program, and you should be able to get a nice long platinum warranty for less than that. There are also reputable third party companies.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Only problem I had was the very next day and driving 250 miles my fresh from VW fix, was a CEL light came on, I checked it with my scan gauge, and it was code P20EE, meaning either sensor bad, or DEF pump not putting enough out. I reset code, and a few days later it came back. I reset it again, and it came back a few more times.

The last time it happened, I was on my way to VW to buy a 2nd key fob, so I had them check it. They said indeed DEF pump problem, but they ran it test specifically on pump, and it passed. So I said that I'd bring it back if problem got worse (i.e. happened more frequently). They didn't charge me, as it was under emissions warranty, and it never came on again!

Problem must have been due to sitting for 2 years, and essentially fixed itself.
UPDATE!!!: The other day, I was driving along, and all of a sudden, a bunch of error message lights illuminated on the dashboard. We stopped for a short time, and when we restarted trip, the A/C wasn't working either!!! Issues included: cruise control not working, odometer was dead, error messages for parking brake (even though it worked fine), ABS, and traction control. also I noticed that dashboard said I was in OFF ROAD mode, even though I was not.

Took it to VW, and fortunately the problem was only a faulty "speed sensor", and it cost only $350 to fix (including the $135 diagnostic fee). There is no way problem was related to it sitting for two years at VW though.

I was fearing the worst; that the ECU was FUBAR. I would have looked for a junk yard for a used one, rather than pay for a new or refurbished one.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Buyback passat tdi here purchased prior to cpo being extended to unlimited miles. Mine is not cpo (had cpo on my bug bought prior to dieselgate (kept it)), i purchased a 5 year/72,000 mile extended warranty because i was concerned about the transmission and radio. The car had sat for most of the previous 18 months.

TDI
2012 JSW
The warranty on the CPO buybacks should calm the worst of your fears. I picked up a CPO 12 JSW in January and have been thrilled...especially since lifting it, as you know!

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
None CPO, no warranty also on my 2014 and haven’t had any problems through around 3000 miles but it only had 14600 on the odometer when I got it , I’ve done a few things for preventative maintenance, changing the air and fuel filter, cleaning/lubing the sunroof track and conditioning all the seals, so far nothing

CJM_RVA

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Look at the Carfax (which any reputable dealer should be able to provide you) and try to hold out for one that wasn't sitting forever. Look for when the title changes to Michigan for when it was turned in for the buyback. Mine was turned in 12/18 and the dealership bought it 4/19, so it only sat for 5 months. You may also be able to infer something about where it was parked, especially if the location reported for plate/registration renewal for the previous owner isn't super far away from the dealer that's selling it (central NC to northern VA in my case, so the car probably was stored somewhere in the mid-Atlantic).

Martin-Harris

TDI
2009 JSW
I am now out of warranty on my 2009. During the warranty period, I had to have a glow plug replaced three times (I think the harness replacement is causing issues). I also had the EGR replaced and, interestingly enough, the electric fan replaced.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Knock on wood the only issues I had to have fixed under CPO were already evident upon purchase and selling dealer told me to CPO them. Those were pano sunshade and ac compressor RCV valve.

6 months later to the date have not had any other issues.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Glow plug #2 died one week after I bought the car. Not sure if related. Technician left stripped out belly-pan screws under the car so I got to extract them. ****er. A lot of loose wires in the engine bay I had to secure.

shortydog

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2005 MK4 Jetta TDI
I bought a 15 golf tdi in March with 35k miles. At around 50k miles the car was overheating. The water pump was replaced under CPO warranty.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
I just bought a 2014 Jetta Premium with 58,000 miles CPO. I'm trusting in that sweet warranty!
I've only put about 500 miles on it but the paint needs work. It must have been stored under a tree.
I get to explore the mysteries of clay bars, buffing and wax.
Paul

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
So, after parting with $150, I now have showroom quality paint courtesy of a professional detailer. It was indeed thick tree sap (I wonder where was it stored in NC).

I'm now due for my 60,000 maintenance and I will also have a list of things for VW to fix: whistling sunroof (I have no experience with this), both dead 12V outlets, odor when using the AC, dangerously outdated navigation maps and SiriusXM dropping out likes it's trying to keep buffering the data.
It sounds like I'm complaining but with this warranty and a little patience, they'll probably all be sorted out.
I'm going to get to know the Service department quite well! I might bring some chocolates on my first visit. LOL.
Paul

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The warranty on the CPO buybacks should calm the worst of your fears. I picked up a CPO 12 JSW in January and have been thrilled...especially since lifting it, as you know!

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
Did lifting it change your fuel mileage?

toytech

TDI
2006 BRM jetta, 2013 JSW
I bought a 13 JSW last February. 61k and have had no issues yet. Have 2 year CPO warranty. I did not want one with the panoramic sunroof due to sunshade can break, drain tubes can leak and sunroof frame can crack and leak also. I work as a tech at a VW dealer and have repaired the sunroof issues and they are a pain to do. One thing to realize is these cars have been sitting a while and in most cases will have issues. I tell our Salesmen to explain to customers this and not to be surprised if an issue comes up shortly after purchase. This is why VW gives such a good CPO warranty. If you are considering buying one I strongly urge to get one that is a CPO. Or buy a warranty that covers none drivetrain items since the extended emissions warranty will cover the drivetrain.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
One thing to realize is these cars have been sitting a while and in most cases will have issues.
Anyone have any idea what VW did to the cars while they sat so long?
I have been starting my JSW once a week with the a/c running to keep things working while I try to figure out how to get the dang alternator out. :confused:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
my first one (totaled because of deer) had the dpf go bad. My replacement hasnt had any trouble. I plan to get a malone 0.5 and dsg tune with x-mas bonus then delete and stage 2 after warranty expires. if your state used b20 diesel your hpfp has a less likely chance of failing. Can always use aditives if you have straight diesel. A co-worker has 180k on his mk6 jsw tdi with no problems. hes had it stage 2 tuned and kept all emissions equipment. His wife even mis-fueled it once (2 yrs ago) and has had no issues. Starts in our MN winters.
Keep up on maintance. Fuel filter change every fall, oil 10k, dsg oil every 40k (dont listed to your dealorship if they say 80k), coolant every 5 yr/150k timing belt 120k. i think brake fluid is every 3 years? Check your engine and cabin air filter EVERY oil change. Rotate tires during oil change. Everything im saying i learned from this forum and my owners manual.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the 60,000 mile service done at the dealer. This CPO that I bought came with free oil changes at 7,500 miles. I didn't need to do the oil change for another 7,000 miles but these filters needed to be changed since I'm not sure there was a 50,000 mile service done on this vehicle. The DSG service was recorded at 40,000 so that's good.
The 60,000 service is all filters and that certainly solved the AC smell. The pollen filter change seemed to correct the "turn on AC and smell mold" smell.
I'm putting a lot of PowerService +cetane in the first few tanks but everything is smooth but the DSG, as I remember, is pretty jerky around town.
Paul

LabGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
I purchased a CPO 2014 Passat with 47k miles from a VW dealer near Tampa, FL. We have put a few thousand miles on it with no issues!

Mofoliar

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan
I purchased 11’ Jetta TDI Se w/122,000 about 3 months back besides my transmission Died 3 wks after purchase, covered under Vw extended warranty

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
Bought a CPO 15 Passat SEL june of 17 with 33K on it. It has been mostly trouble free for the 28K miles we've put on it. Had a DEF line leak and a glow plug harness that needed fixed, both covered under warranty.

The local dealer(not the one where we purchased it), called and wanted to make us an offer on it. Offered us like $12k for it. We paid double that 2 yrs prior. I feel we over paid but we needed a car and they just started selling the TDi's.

Just recently the radio quit working, the trunk wont open, and driver's seat memory has been acting up. I'm concerned its a BCM issue. Obviously prob not covered under the extended warranty.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
I've had my CPO NC 2014 JSW, mid range I didn't want the trouble sum sun roof, for 2 months and two thousand miles with 13k miles on it when I got it. It had been sitting for 22 months in a NC field somewhere also under a tree but the dealer, Hall VW Mazda in Milwaukee WI, cleaned it really well and shined it up real nice and as far as I can tell did all necessary service. I'm getting used to the DSG transmission and am liking it more and more. Fantastic car, can't wait to get some good tires on it, the OEM Chinese tires slip like crazy.

As far as what VW did while they were in storage I understand they were started and warmed up once a month.

Joe

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Bought my ‘11 bone stock JSW last April. No troubles to this point. Bought with 55k, currently at 88k. Fantastic car, so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
As far as what VW did while they were in storage I understand they were started and warmed up once a month.
I don't think they were touched while in storage. Dealers said they started up the new cars that were part of the stop sale, but I'm pretty confident the buyback cars just sat.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There were some pictures posted that showed some buyback cars on the lot with their hoods up and doors open. Looked like they were doing something with them. At least some.