hiccups

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Recently cruising in 3rd...makes the car hiccup here and there. Almost like a stagger for a second. Its only happening when gently accelerating/cruising not when stepping on it and shifting into 4th, etc.
Thought an oil change was going to fix it (as it was due in another 1,000 kms) but no change. Any thoughts?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
It's possible that your car is doing a regen. For my car, under partial throttle...a regen kicking in results in a fairly pronounced and obnoxious shudder/shake/hiccup or however you want to put it.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
It's possible that your car is doing a regen. For my car, under partial throttle...a regen kicking in results in a fairly pronounced and obnoxious shudder/shake/hiccup or however you want to put it.
Negative....definitely not a regen. But it almost feels like it to be honest now that you mention it. Hmmm..

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
10000000% its not regen. Related? Maybe...but no regen was or is happening when I feel these hiccups.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Recently cruising in 3rd...makes the car hiccup here and there. Almost like a stagger for a second. Its only happening when gently accelerating/cruising not when stepping on it and shifting into 4th, etc.
Thought an oil change was going to fix it (as it was due in another 1,000 kms) but no change. Any thoughts?
Years ago, when my Jetta was brand new, I've noticed the same thing, and I thought it to be quite annoying. Then, I read a few comments on this forum that described the exact same issue, and someone concluded the discussion by saying that this appears to be "normal" behavior of the engine when accelerating very lightly. From that point onwards, I pretty much accepted this as one of the character flaws of this car, and since the car was programmed to behave this way, I realized it was up to me to change my way of driving the car - I learned to accelerate just a bit more aggressively, and the issue disappeared. Of course, the stuttering is still present and very noticeable during the regeneration cycle, and it doesn't matter how aggressively you drive.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Years ago, when my Jetta was brand new, I've noticed the same thing, and I thought it to be quite annoying. Then, I read a few comments on this forum that described the exact same issue, and someone concluded the discussion by saying that this appears to be "normal" behavior of the engine when accelerating very lightly. From that point onwards, I pretty much accepted this as one of the character flaws of this car, and since the car was programmed to behave this way, I realized it was up to me to change my way of driving the car - I learned to accelerate just a bit more aggressively, and the issue disappeared. Of course, the stuttering is still present and very noticeable during the regeneration cycle, and it doesn't matter how aggressively you drive.
Yeah I just found a few threads where that is described as normal. Hmm...weird. Oh well, we'll keep driving her. Thanks.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I'll bet it has something to do with the High Pressure EGR, nothing but trouble that one.
Try unplugging the EGR valve and see if the problem goes away.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
You guys should be well aware of this...it's from the 23O6 recall. Your car is not performing a regen, there is no EGR problem...it's being a normal common rail operating under the recall. Pretty much, the recall was designed to lower emissions. Some people noted worse mileage and power or others noted better mileage and power and everything in between. This also includes rough idling when cold, random juttering when driving. I gotta say, I thought I was alone when my car did random stutters or jerks in 3rd(and sometimes 2nd or 4th). I talked to VW techs and they said for me to thank the recall, since it apparently messed with ECU function, and some cars respond somewhat differently. Apparently the dealer I go to, had one lady where the car idled bad when cold, it shook the car. They did a reflash and it went away. And also they have customers who gained 3mpg and better torque...mine just runs odd sometimes.

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
x2 on the 23O6 being the cause.
Try running it WOT for a bit -- on mine, the shuddering seems to go away after I do a little WOT stint once its warmed up. I suspect its cycling the EGR a lot more, and the WOT just bumps the firmware into a place where it doesn't cycle EGR so much, but I haven't been able to collect any data to be sure that's what's going on.

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I had a stutter around 1800- 2200 rpm that laster about 20k miles. The car then threw code and had to replace a EGT sensor.