Intercooler cleaning

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Living in Florida leads to lots of lovebugs and I would like to clean out the fins of my intercooler. Ive done some reading here and elsewhere and would like some opinions on our TDIs specifically. If someone has used a fin tool what TPI did you determine out intercooler to have? Did you have any luck with coil cleaner/bug cleaners to aid in the cleaning process. TIA.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I've never had to, but have you tried a pressure washer yet? If absolutely needed, you could spray on a solution of enzyme cleaner, let it soak 15 minutes, and pressure wash it down.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
I've never had to, but have you tried a pressure washer yet? If absolutely needed, you could spray on a solution of enzyme cleaner, let it soak 15 minutes, and pressure wash it down.
I've read that the high pressure can do more damage than good by bending the fins, I like the idea of the enzyme spray tho.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
a standard home owner's grade pressure washer won't be able to damage unless put way too close to the fins.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You realize it is impossible for "love bugs" to hit your intercooler, right? On your car, that part sits BEHIND the A/C condenser, in front of the radiator. The condenser gets all the debris first. Including those silly love bugs. ;)

If you wanted to clean your intercooler, this is what you'd have to do:

Drain the coolant

Recover the refrigerant

Remove the bumper cover

Remove the lower splash shield and lower fenderliners

Disconnect the wire connectors to the cooling fans, crash sensors, hood latch switch, headlamps, MAP sensor

Disconnect the radiator hoses from the radiator

Disconnect the refrigerant pipes from the condenser

Disconnect the charge air pipes from the intercooler

Remove the lock carrier assembly

Remove the charge air cooler (with radiator and fans attached on one side, condenser attached on the other side) as an assembly from the lock carrier

Remove radiator with fans from one side, remove condenser from the front side

Now your intercooler is naked, and can be cleaned from either side :)

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
You realize it is impossible for "love bugs" to hit your intercooler, right? On your car, that part sits BEHIND the A/C condenser, in front of the radiator. The condenser gets all the debris first. Including those silly love bugs. ;)

If you wanted to clean your intercooler, this is what you'd have to do:

Drain the coolant

Recover the refrigerant

Remove the bumper cover

Remove the lower splash shield and lower fenderliners

Disconnect the wire connectors to the cooling fans, crash sensors, hood latch switch, headlamps, MAP sensor

Disconnect the radiator hoses from the radiator

Disconnect the refrigerant pipes from the condenser

Disconnect the charge air pipes from the intercooler

Remove the lock carrier assembly

Remove the charge air cooler (with radiator and fans attached on one side, condenser attached on the other side) as an assembly from the lock carrier

Remove radiator with fans from one side, remove condenser from the front side

Now your intercooler is naked, and can be cleaned from either side :)
Hm, ok. I guess my question still stands but should have read clean condensor.