RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Since current NavTeq map and POI files are available from multiple sources, is there a way, other than the VW/NavTeq disc to load them onto our RNS-510's?

With my Pioner AVIC unit, I can boot it into Windows CE "test mode", and simply copy files over from an SD card.

The RNS-510 seems like a WinCE-based unit. If it is, there should be a way to boot directly into CE, and copy the files into the proper folders.

Depending on what Navi system is actually running on the unit (Pioneer uses iGo), it might also need some other file modification. But, it could be doable, and a way to keep current.

I guess the two big questions for the RNS-510 are:
-What is its OS?
-What Navi program is running on that OS?
Nope. Welcome to the discussion. I suggest you read this thread, it will catch you up.

The RNS-510 uses VxWorks for its OS, with a Java Frontend.

There is no Nav "Program".

The data is provided by Navteq.

The ONLY way to update the Nav database is via DVD.

POI can be added via SD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

andyemri

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 2DR
LokiWolf,
Thank you for your hard earned effort in posting this information. It is much more concise than I can even find internally in my company at times.

Sent you a PM. Thanks in advance.

garypen

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
Nope. Welcome to the discussion. I suggest you read this thread, it will catch you up.

The RNS-510 uses VxWorks for its OS, with a Java Frontend.

There is no Nav "Program".

The data is provided by Navteq.

The ONLY way to update the Nav database is via DVD.

POI can be added via SD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Oh well. Too bad.

At least the map update is "only" $99 currently, versus the usual $199.

I still have a feeling that despite whatever OS these units use, that they are using an existing NAV program running on it, such as iGo. That's just the way these things are usually done.

sloth2004

TDI
2010 Passat Station Wagan
LokiWolf, amazing work. could you send me a link to download maps.

Thank you in advance.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
LokiWolf, amazing work. could you send me a link to download maps.

Thank you in advance.
sloth2004, amazing post. could you actually read the thread?

I can no longer send links for maps. Per the post below. It was posted here and in the thread on Vortex. I am sending no links, just so there isn't any confusion.
Thank you in advance.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I still have a feeling that despite whatever OS these units use, that they are using an existing NAV program running on it, such as iGo. That's just the way these things are usually done.

Nope, not in this case. Hence all the complaints about the unit. It does not use an off the shelf Nav App. If it was built on a CE or Android framework, that would be easy, but it isn't. Hence why there aren't any custom firmwares for it. I have looked at the code, and it isn't worth the trouble to break it down.

The most recent firmware and Maps and I am fine with it. Not my favorite, but it works. I know how to work around its idiosyncrasies, and people are starting to come up with plans and all the pieces and parts needed to replace it and maintain full OEM integration.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
sloth2004, amazing post. could you actually read the thread?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks JM!

Sloth, I am glad to help with questions and problems, but has been said several times in this thread and others, I can no longer offer download links.

Fortran

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
As you can see it is only a 6 month improvement. Absolutely ridiculous! If you produce a disc in 6/2014, you could at least include 2014Q1. Stupid VW. Actually it isn't VW's fault, it is HERE, Navteq's marketing arm. They are the ones that make the most money from this. They wonder why people were copying it and distributing it, when they are being disrespectful to their customers like this.
Yeah, I have the .7M maps on mine and I'll probably wait before I buy newer maps. I can get most places and am smart enough to realize if I'm driving into a lake or something.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL

Tdi140

TDI
Passat Highline 2013
Hi Loki
i pmed you for info, no answers so i post here...

i have this in my passat 2013

firmware version 3696 >
map version 7870 >
hardware H03
delivery part number 3c0035684g

i want to update firmware and maps. Where can i find files to burn DL dvd for maps and put on SD card for firmware?

thanks for your help

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hi Loki
i pmed you for info, no answers so i post here...

i have this in my passat 2013

firmware version 3696 >
map version 7870 >
hardware H03
delivery part number 3c0035684g

i want to update firmware and maps. Where can i find files to burn DL dvd for maps and put on SD card for firmware?

thanks for your help

READ THE THREAD. Please! At least the first post!

Thanks,
LW

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Where is the thread for RNS315 Radios in the Tdi SE version. I would like some opinions. i just wasted my money on a RNS510 update CD and would love to sell it cheap to someone with that radio.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Where is the thread for RNS315 Radios in the Tdi SE version. I would like some opinions. i just wasted my money on a RNS510 update CD and would love to sell it cheap to someone with that radio.

Create a thread. As far as the 510 update disc. Post in the For Sale Forum here, and at Vortex. Good Luck.

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'm about to order a nav upgrade disc. My only problem is I'm not sure if my deck is "tdi se" or "tdi se premium" all I know its a 2012 passat tdi with the fender package that is running

HW-Version H07
SW-Version 3690
Map-Version HDD 7590

Can anyone fill me in please n thx!!!

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
^ no I haven't looked at my car at all, I often wonder what colour it is!

The vehicle is Canadian without "se" beside the TDI badge.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I'm about to order a nav upgrade disc. My only problem is I'm not sure if my deck is "tdi se" or "tdi se premium" all I know its a 2012 passat tdi with the fender package that is running

HW-Version H07
SW-Version 3690
Map-Version HDD 7590

Can anyone fill me in please n thx!!!
Trendline = S
Comfortline = SE
Highline = SEL

And since you have 3690 running, you have an RNS-510 which should be capable of being updated to 4366.

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
^ thank you both posters above. Mine is a comfortline. I'll be ordering updates this week!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Can anyone share the ISOs? PM me I'll make it easy for you to upload the files.

All of them can be found on E-Bay, very easily and for a great cost. If you factor in the purchase of a Dual Layer DVD. Sometimes the 510 can be finicky, and people have had to Burn it twice to get a disc that works.

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6 Spd Manual
I have a 2014 Passat Highline and have the following installed:-
Hardware version H23
Software Version 5374
Map version 8050
Part number is 3C0035684L
Are these current?
I do find the unit slow but usable

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Since Loki retirement it's virtually impossible to get the map updates without paying the none sense price 100$......
....and soon to go back to original (non-sale) price of $199.00!! Garmin really looks great with those ridiculous prices!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
....and soon to go back to original (non-sale) price of $199.00!! Garmin really looks great with those ridiculous prices!
While I agree with what is said, remember at one time you paid for Garmin as well. I can remember when I first bought my Nuvi you had to pay Garmin at least $50 for a 1 year subscription to updates. Then after 2-3 years they finally came out with a $100 payment for lifetime updates. It wasn't until a couple years after that they the updates were free.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
For those interested Peter the RNS-510 Wizard and continental dealer/re-seller just made available J,K,L,M,N RNS-510 SSD Only!!! 5378 Firmware
with a changelog!!! :)
This update will give you improved Sirius Radio reception, GPS Positioning and guidance as well as much improved performance of the unit. Firmware will also fully Unlock DVD In Motion so you can watch DVD's while the car is moving, and also enable hidden screen menu
EDIT: also enables voice commands (without the need for VCDS)
link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-RNS-510-Navigation-Firmware-Upgrade-DVD-In-Motion-Service-Menu-/290912055262
I wonder if the 2015.5 NMS will even get the RNS-510 though- with Continental soon to be no longer the official Contract radio maker for VWAG???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.