New brake rotors/pads and new brake fluid on TDI MK4, some questions!

matgat

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Hi, I changed the rotors and pads (on the 4 wheels) and flushed/replaced the brake fluid on my 2004 Jetta TDI.

The brake kit consisted of Brembo rotors and Mintex Red Box pads that I bought from MJM Autohaus. It was installed with no problem using brake quiet on the rear of the pads and silicone lubricant on the slider pins of the front calipers.

The brake fluid flush was made with a Motive Power Bleeder along with ATE SL.6 DOT4 brake fluid. No problem either, bleeder screws were not even rusted, the job went perfectly, reaching the bleed screw of the clutch was a PITA though.

The problems I'm experiencing are the following: the car is front parked in my inclined driveway, every morning (or after a long parked period), the brake pedal is VERY loose and I can't retain the car from rolling down the driveway, I need to pump the brake pedal a few times until it become hard and functionnal.*Is there any problem with the brake fluid? Not enough brake fluid or too much? Why is the pedal loose after a few hours parked?

The front brake wear sensor light is on since I changed the pads I've verified the connector and it's correctly connected. Do I need to clear the code using a VAG-COM or any similir method? Otherwise, what is wrong with this pad
??

Thanks,

Mat

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
There is a loop of wire inside the pad which is broken when the pad wears down to that level. You could try shorting the two pins in the connector from the instrument cluster and check to see that there is continuity between the two pins on the pad connector. There is no code to clear, when the circuit is complete, the light goes out.

Paul