Mk3 jetta TDI cruise cutoff brake switch

Zephri

TDI
98 Mk3 Jetta TDI
I have a 1998 Jetta TDI.

Does anyone know the part number for the blue cruise cutoff brake switch and can a standard brake light switch be substituted?

Mine is was removed long ago by another owner and it's the only thing stopping my cruise from working. I'm having a hell of a time finding a replacement.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
1h0 mw0 927 189

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
WAIT
how are you able to start the car with this switch missing? if its bypassed you can still use the cruise control, you just cant turn it off with the clutch! is the switch just plain missing or is there a bypass wire plugged into it? do you know why it was removed

Zephri

TDI
98 Mk3 Jetta TDI
WAIT
how are you able to start the car with this switch missing? if its bypassed you can still use the cruise control, you just cant turn it off with the clutch! is the switch just plain missing or is there a bypass wire plugged into it? do you know why it was removed

It's supposed to be the switch above the main brake light switch, so when you depress the brake it shuts cruise off. I bypassed this switch with a paperclip so I can use cruise for the time being until I find one, I just have to turn it off and on at the stalk. The clutch switches are in the car and working properly, it does turn cruse off when depressed.

If that's not the right part number I'd like to know. I don't know what the differences between the switches are, but I assume one is a normally open and one is normally closed.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The pn given is correct for the blue switch. Don’t add any suffixes.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm seeing conflicting information in Etka for this stuff but here goes. Jhax has one number sort of right...but ignore the second set of three digits and I believe that number is for the brake light switch and not the cruise disengage.

In Etka for 98 Jetta cruise system I see the following:

811907343B (quantity = 2)
1H0907343 (quantity = 1)

Based on photos the second one (1H0...) has a partial blue body and that's the one I think you're looking for. The first number (811...) is a black body. Both are for cruise though and are not for the brake light switch. Etka doesn't tell you why quantity specified is different from them or whether there's a difference...

The brake light switch part number is another confusing sort of mess but I will say that the switch is completely blue for the following number:

1H0927189

But the following numbers are also supposed to be good:

1HM945515 (all these look like all black switches)
191945515A
191945515B

Hope this helps you out

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I got the number from the blue switch that is sitting on my tool bench that I pulled from a b4 passat.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I got the number from the blue switch that is sitting on my tool bench that I pulled from a b4 passat.
I'm not being critical, that 12 digit number is kinda weird though, especially the second set of 3 digits, that is unless they really come at the end of the part number and relate to color.

I'm just reporting what Etka has listed, and oddly enough there's inconsistencies between the B4 and Mk3 too, I checked both.

This photo is the foundation of the VW part numbering system, there's discussions about it on darkside development and on the air cooled websites, basically any place where VW enthusiasts talk about parts!

At any rate, hopefully through this he gets the correct switch.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I visually confirmed the pn last night, when I posted.... blue switch was in hand. No suffix, or it brings up different switches. I think I saw a used one on eBay for $5.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I visually confirmed the pn last night, when I posted.... blue switch was in hand. No suffix, or it brings up different switches. I think I saw a used one on eBay for $5.
-Todd
I think you're reading the number incorrectly, otherwise it would be reflected that way in the parts catalog, and it isn't. Also, if it's read the way you suggest there's a huge deviation from the VW part numbering formula above.

Notice how the MW0 is further away to the right of the 1H0? That's because it's not part of the number. People selling these in the secondary market are making the same mistake. If you search on Etka for Ellis VW (or any VW dealership) on what you believe the number is nothing comes up. If you remove the MW0 and search again then a switch comes up.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was verifying what was written in an earlier post. Good catch and thanks for the explanation.

-Todd

Zephri

TDI
98 Mk3 Jetta TDI
I apologize for the late reply I was waiting for parts and figured I should add a conclusion to my original post.

I ordered 1HO MWO 927 189 D which is the black clutch switch that I assume is used to cancel cruise. It is a normally open switch when the clutch is depressed. I went with that switch due to ease in actually finding it in the US and the fact it fits in the location where the cruise switch is supposed to go.
It's in there now and it works great! Finally some cruise. :D

Now I just have to troubleshoot the decel/resume function as it works intermittently or not at all, it may just be a dirty switch. Other than that I'm glad it's working.

I also have to add a switch for the clutch safety that the previous owner removed for some odd reason.

Here are some pictures of the switches for future reference in case anyone needs to get another or replace a missing one or just 'gotsta know'.

The switch I bought.

The old clutch cruise switch.

Cruise switches connector comparison, they are the same.

Stop light switch and connector.

Picture of switch locations.

Sorry for the long post and huge pictures, I hope this helps someone out in the future. Also thanks to everyone who provided the numbers to help me find the correct switch.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Clutch starter switch was likely pulled to delete the clutch bypass. I’d guess your plug is stuffed behind the dash with a jumper wire.

I did the same, when I installed the remote starter. Oddly, My 2 B4s didn’t need this done, when they got their remote starters.

-Todd

Zephri

TDI
98 Mk3 Jetta TDI
Clutch starter switch was likely pulled to delete the clutch bypass. I’d guess your plug is stuffed behind the dash with a jumper wire.

I did the same, when I installed the remote starter. Oddly, My 2 B4s didn’t need this done, when they got their remote starters.

-Todd
Funny you should mention that, the guy before me did it to install a push button start because of a failed ignition switch install (or so he told me). I'd like to get it back to using the ignition switch but can't find any good wiring diagrams or pictures pertaining to the mk3 jetta tdi wiring.

I did get it so the button won't work when the key is in the off position.

I just know someday that button is gonna get pushed and I can kiss my starter gear or flywheel teeth goodbye.