Key Fob not opening trunk

classy_gene

TDI
2002 Jetta
My electric trunk latch hasn't ever worked on my car until yesterday when I fixed the wiring at the kink spot. The release button on the drivers door will open it but my key fob won't. Does my key fobs need to be reprogrammed? I got new keys a couple years ago and they lock/unlock my doors fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Does your red LED on the fob light up when you press a button?

I just had an issue with my FOB where it would lock everything (including the trunk) but the unlock button would not work for the doors.

I noticed I didn't get a red blink from the LED either. In a nutshell, 2 of the 3 buttons functioned properly

Replaced the FOB battery and everything was good. Cheap troubleshooting before you dive deeper...

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
The battery swap is definitely a good first step.

I had this exact issue at the dealer. I had ordered a brand new key to be cut, but when it arrived they couldn't get it to open my trunk. After an hour of troubleshooting, they realized the remote half of the key was the wrong part number for my car. Swapping the remote half with the proper part number fixed the issue.

With that said, there is a process you can perform that might fix the issue, but it may require one of your original keys. Do you have one? These are the steps:

1) Unlock the door to your car using the key blade
2) Insert your old key blade into the ignition and turn it to the "on" position, but do not start the car.
3) Roll down your driver's side window
4) Step out of the car and insert your new key into the driver's door lock, now turn the key to the left and hold it in that position for 10 seconds.
5) Now press the lock button on the FOB
6) Now press the unlock button on the FOB

The only other process I know of to pair keys requires VCDS or VagTacho.

classy_gene

TDI
2002 Jetta
The Fobs are new and yes the red light lights up when I push the button. The doors lock/unlock from the reasonable distance away. I'll try reprogramming them. Thanks

Last edited: