Cooling Fan Help

shawntonsoup

TDI
2013 Passat
Hey all, new to the forum here. I have a 2013 Passat TDI. I recently had a minor accident with a small deer. This cause the condenser fan "smaller of the two" to break off. Firstly, what size is that fan and any recommendations on a site for buying the part? Secondly, would the fan not working cause my a/c to stop working?

Thanks in advance

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
First welcome!
Second , sorry to hear about your misfortune with the deer, glad your ok .
As far as sites you can try the trusted vendors on here..

Idparts.com
Metalmanparts.com
Kerma.com
Aarodrigues.com Not sure I spelled that right.
Dieselgeek.com

As far as the a/c not working, no it shouldn’t keep the a/c from working, hopefully the accident didn’t cause you to leak Freon out of your system.

When you turn on the a/c ( with the small fan disconnected ) does the compressor engage and does the large fan turn on?

shawntonsoup

TDI
2013 Passat
Thanks for the reply! The compressor does not seem to be engaging at all when I turn on the a/c. I'm under the impression from what I have read that it is either the comp itself or the switch isn't sending a signal properly. Not sure how accurate that is. The air runs but the fan does not engage either. Also I ordered a new fan assembly it seems as though the install is fairly simple.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Instead of buying parts, you should check things with a volt meter and a ac manifold gauge set.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Instead of buying parts, you should check things with a volt meter and a ac manifold gauge set.

If you read his post he broke the small fan.......he was gonna need it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You may have lost your Freon. You will need to hook up to some A/C gauges and see what you have then go from there.
I’m not familiar with your car as I have older ones but principals are the same.
Just for $hits and grins see if you can find the fan fuses from your owners manual , and check them.
If not google to see where they are located, not sure if you have some fuses on top of the battery like the older cars do, it known to give us issues there, but again not sure if yours is the same too.....

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
My mistake. Some how I thought this was reference to the blower motor. My bad