Engine changing pitch when turning

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Ive noticed my engine is changing pitch from normal to growly when making a right turn under acceleration, it kind of sounds similar to when you advance the timing on the older MK2 tdi with the cold start lever, any idea what it might be? I dont think the down pipe is touching anything because there growl comes out of the engine compartment.
02 Jetta with manual tran

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Might have a fuel pick up leak in the tank. Does it do it when lithe tank is full to the top as well? Air in the system might cause an issue like this, could also be low oil pressure or maybe a cv axle. Is it consistent with rpms of the engine?
A video would help.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Might have a fuel pick up leak in the tank. Does it do it when lithe tank is full to the top as well? Air in the system might cause an issue like this, could also be low oil pressure or maybe a cv axle. Is it consistent with rpms of the engine?
A video would help.
tank full or empty makes no difference, if this was air it would "hiccup" Id assume, it does this even from stand still accelerating pulling out from the parking space for example, but only with the right turn, left turn feels normal, as soon as the lateral centrifugal force goes away the engine sounds normal again

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Sure it's the engine and not a wheel bearing or CV joint?

Coasting on an open road in neutral, shut off the engine, swerve right and left (DON'T LET THE WHEEL LOCK) and see if it still makes the noise...?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
What about a power steering pump that is on its way out?
Any leaks going on from the rack/lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
What about a power steering pump that is on its way out?
Any leaks going on from the rack/lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no, ps works fine no leaks, it is more related to the lateral force imposed on the car during the right turn, maybe the tran mount is going bad? but it was replaced about 2 yrs ago when i did the clutch

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
strut bearing is bad.
what does the strut bearing have to do with the engine pitch? nothing clunks op pops, just sounds like an advanced timing for a brief moment on acceleration

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
what does the strut bearing have to do with the engine pitch? nothing clunks op pops, just sounds like an advanced timing for a brief moment on acceleration

nothing., The suspension will groan when turning like it's the engine. I wasn't sure if you were conflating the two.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
But... what is the fluid level in the PS tank?

I recently experienced this with the daughter's wagon: I was trying to diagnose a suspension issue and at the time all I could come up with was a similar kind of noise (a slight pulsing sensation and growl- initially I thought a bad steering rack) when sitting at rest and turning the steering about 1/2 way through its travel. Fluid was WAY low. I have not heard how it is with the fluid topped off (car isn't local and I had to leave it before it was attended to).

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I think its getting worse, not I can hear it even when the wheel is straight, kind of intermittent when its straight, I think something might be getting loose, need to look under. No strange sounds when turning left though

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I went through a lot of things lately, cleaned the intake and inter cooler, inspected all of the charge piping, air box, exhaust down pipe, flushed the PS and cannot find the source of the noise. I have made a crappy video holding the dash cam with one hand, sorry, but you can have an idea. The "strong" engine noise happens when I heavily accelerate and turn right at the same time. If I keep the steering wheel turned right and go in the circle and accelerate the noise is constant. The car sounds normal when turning left though. Intermittently I hear this while accelerating straight. The only thing that is out of normal lately is I get some groan from what I assume is the steering rack. It sounds almost like a rubbery noise when turn the steering wheel to the left. Flushing the PS fluid did not help at all. The groan could be heard with the engine off too. I also removed the serpentine belt and tried to duplicate the noise and it is there so is the other noise described above, so it is not the PS pump, I assume. When the car is on the stands with the wheels hanging, the rubbery steering noise could not be heard.
Has my steering rack come to its end? I dont have any leaks or anything wrong with it rather than the noise. Could this be related to the engine noise while accelerating that I was chasing originally?
( disregard the CEL in the video, i disconnected the EGR)

link to the video

https://youtu.be/PGvicUC983E

Last edited: