Dsg lifespan

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
That o am not sure of. It's a big process. Have to drop the subframe or pull the motor. A dmf is from 200-600 bucks. Close to 2k for a shop.

Sent from my LGL555DL using Tapatalk

Well goodness, the car is only worth about 8000!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Which is why we try to do it ourselves. FYI timing belt & water pump is 1400 for a shop. A tdi guru probably would charge less.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The dual masses in the flywheel and springs are in there to help dampen engine vibration. Doesn't have anything to do with manual or automatic, or clutch design. Many cars and trucks have DMFs, with manual, conventional (torque converter) automatics, and DSGs. The springs that control the two flywheel masses fatigue and eventually fail. Sometimes they last 60K miles, sometimes 300K miles. City or highway use doesn't really affect wear rates.

DMFs for these cars are in the $300-350 range. Labor can run $1,000 or thereabouts. Replacing it isn't a small job.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I am just over 302k miles and no issues with my dsg.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CR DSG cars seem far less prone to DMF failure than the BRM/BEW DSG cars (and some gassers for that matter). Not sure if the newer engine is just smoother overall and doesn't require the added NVH lessening as much or if the newer part is that much better or what. I've done LOTS of BRMs' DMFs, some cars I have even done a couple times (higher mileage).

The Priuses that use them are often heard with rattles and clunks at startup, too. There seems to be a one sure thing with a DMF: the idea is great, and when in good order does exactly what it is supposed to do, but the longevity of them is often called into question. Many of the Dodge/Ram dealers would offer a conversion kit for BRAND NEW Cummins powered trucks for people that were going to be towing a lot. We actually have done a few of those, too. One was on a brand new truck that had its DMF let go only 1500 miles in... and the guy told us the dealer (in Texas) offered it when he bought the truck. He opted not to, towed an empty trailer up north somewhere, loaded it up, and it came apart on his way back home passing through STL. :p

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
And that high miles car I was talking about. The person had to either have been medical transport or a wide load spotter. A 12 with that many miles. 60-90k a year. That's a lotta miles. I've been searching for the car on here, never found it. Car still sold for 6 grand. Interior looked alright. No cracks on seat.

Sent from my LGL555DL using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How much you charge to do the DMF change in an automatic and where’s your shop located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Location and shop info in my sig/info (St. Louis is a large metro area on the east central side of Missouri, smack dab in the middle of the country next to the Mississippi River)... our shop is actually on the west county side of STL.

Going to assume by "DMF/automatic" you mean your '12 Passat TDI? It is 6 hr labor (we are $135/hr) and whatever the parts cost is, I forget exactly, maybe $500 or so.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
In my experience highway miles are a lot easier on DMFs than city miles with lots of stop and go. As Peter said, typical replacement interval of 200k, buy I would amend that to be the mean interval with highway miles trending towards 200-250k and city miles trending 150-200.

Replacement cost should end up in the neighborhood of $1000 (+/-200) parts and labor