2000 mk4 Jetta - All keys are lost, Now what?

nubz69

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 Jetta TDI
I have a 2000 mk4 Jetta and have just lost the last key to the car. I never had a fob with it, only valet keys, but that wasn't a big deal until now. I ordered a new key from the dealership but they are telling me that I have to get the car to them to program the key. That means that I am going to have to pay for a very expensive tow, just to get there, before they can program it. Is there a way to program the key myself with a vcds? I have seen that you can program fobs but I have not seen any info on just a single key.

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
x2 on sidewinder keys. They cut keys based on VIN so you'll be able to get into the car. Then you'll need someone with VAG-COM and VAG-Tacho so you can get the key code and program the key to the immobilizer. VAG-COM can program the fob (if you get one). No need to go to the dealer.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
You need the SKC code out of the immobilizer; either you have it or you need someone who has the program to pull it.

Once you have it VCDS can program keys using it; using the VIN you can get a key that will turn the ignition and unlock the doors -- the remaining piece is the SKC to program it.

The dealer can no longer (for the last 10 years or so) pull SKCs and give them to you -- it's all done online now, so they're not lying when they say they can't give it to you. Most cars of that vintage came with it in the owner's package, but that's probably long gone.

I pulled mine out of my '03 cluster a long time ago and have it, so if I ever need it.... you need to find someone with the software that can extract it, in short.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
x2 on sidewinder keys. They cut keys based on VIN so you'll be able to get into the car. Then you'll need someone with VAG-COM and VAG-Tacho so you can get the key code and program the key to the immobilizer. VAG-COM can program the fob (if you get one). No need to go to the dealer.
Sidewinder does not cut key keys by VIN.

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
Well we sent them our VIN and they cut us a key...

nubz69

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 Jetta TDI
Thanks for all the help guys. It sounds like I am just going to have to for the cash over to the dealership and have the car towed there. I dont own a vag-com or vag-tacho and there are not gurus close enough to my area anymore. I can't believe how expensive of an accident this has become.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I'm wondering if your dealer visit cost might be equall to a tune with an immo delete with new cut keys. Something to consider...

nubz69

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 Jetta TDI
I'm wondering if your dealer visit cost might be equall to a tune with an immo delete with new cut keys. Something to consider...
I have thought about that but I am not sure I can convince the wife that instead of getting the key working, I need a whole new tune.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
+1 on getting more than 1 key. The valet key will run about $90 each (plus programming at the dealer - for 2 keys you're looking at $230-$250 for keys and programming). The Flip keys that will also open the trunk / glovebox are about $150 for both parts together.

When I got my NB, it only came with 1 flip key - the FIRST thing we bought was a valet key (which I use and keep on my vehicle ring with my motorcycle key).

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
Here's another option: You can buy uncut flip keys with electronix in them from fixmyvw.com for $40. This is what I did, and took it to a local locksmith who actually cut the key for another $40. They were able to dial into VW's system and, based on the VIN number, cut the correct key. But they couldn't program it to the car.

Because I did have a working key before all this started (it was my only one), I drove the car and the new keys to the dealer 100 miles away so they could reprogram everything. They billed me $50, well worth it to me.