Toyota - 2.5l swap

AaronLe

TDI
Volkswagen Camper Vans
Just wondering if anyone has done the 2.5tdi NA swap into a toyota. I have an 86 4runner first gen and I've seen a few 1.9td/TDI swaps but what about the 2.5l? I'd assume its similar to the om617 in size. Any thoughts are always welcome

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Define "2.5 TDI NA" as I do not know what that means.

There is a 2.5L V6 TDI.

There are two completely different 2.5L I5 TDIs.

Every TDI is turbocharged (hence the "T"), so none of them would be normally/naturally aspirated (NA).

None of the above mentioned engines were sold here, so you'd need to have one imported somehow. The OM617 is a giant iron lump in comparison.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
To add to the muddle, VW did produce some non-turbo swirl chamber (pre-TDI) engines with inline-5 and -6 cylinder configurations displacing between 2.0 to 2.4 liters over the decades, which were indeed found in certain models between VW, Audi and Volvo for the North American market.

None would hold a candle performance or efficiency-wise with modern turbocharged, direct-injected, electronically controlled variants. There's nothing to be afraid of to swap into your Toyota as there has emerged a cottage industry supporting conversions with custom wiring harnesses all the way to stand-alone ECUs.

This thread was originally posted in the B5 Passat forum which had the BHW engine code 2.0 PD TDI, which is relatively plentiful in North America and an excellent platform for a swap. There's little to justify a 2.5L inline-5 or V6 TDI swap because of the hassle of having to source parts from Europe.