insulator gasket sheet?

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
I am making a water-to-air intercooling system for my TDI ALH. In fact, the first part of the system (part that the air from the turbo and cooling water goes on), is directly integrated to the intake, it's a kind of water-to-air intake-intercooler.

I will need to make a custom gasket, since the stock intake manifold gasket don't insulate the intake correctly from the cylinder head heat.

Do you know some suppliers for this kind of gaskets sheets? I will need a gasket sheet to make a gasket myself.

jtnf

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 B7 Passat
Gasket sheet stock certainly exists, but "insulator" is a tough thing to couple with "gasket."
Insulating materials are generally airy (that is, discreet pockets or bubbles of air, through which convected heat has a LOT of trouble flowing...) "airy" not something you want in a gasket!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
He is looking for a thicker spacer to go between the head and the intake made of a material that does not readily conduct heat but is suitable, structurally to be installed in such a location.

I have one of what I believe you are seeking on the shelf but I don't really remember where it came from and I sort of want to keep it.

Sounds like a cool project, no pun intended :)