Turbo rebuild

Eastcoast43

TDI
2000 jetta
My name is Kyle, I'm from va. I have a 2000 jetta tdi. Last week it started making a noise from the turbo and since I have blown a turbo in the past I took it straight to my local mech. He says there is play in the shaft that is causing it to wobble and make the noise tha I was hearing, does this sound reasonable? I have no reason not to trust him as he has been good to me in the past I was also wondering if anyone has suggestions on a rebuild kit for a VNT15? I don't want to order the wrong parts. Thank you for any suggestions.

Kyle

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
You should not rebuild the VNT15. There are too many good cheap ones out there, new ones are pretty cheap also.

Too much room for error with a $4000 engine at stake to try to rebuild the turbo. You can usually find a good used VNT15 for less than $400 or a new one for around $800.

If you are looking for a good used one, look in the classified section or PM me, I have a good used VNT15 and a good used VNT17

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Also, when disassemblying the Turbo, it is very important that the relationship of the turbine and impeller be marked. Otherwise, the two components will be out of balance ... not good!

Look for a good used Turbo!

stefan_b

TDI
Skoda Octavia, 1.9 TDI BXE 77KW, MY2008
Seconding that reco as well. I got to see a balancing machine used to zero out the turbine/shaft/impeller assembly. It is not something that can be done with modest equipment - even in a well endowed shop.

Also, supposing that somebody had access to the original bearing replacement kit (which, AFAIK is not sold separately) pressing the bearings in is not a simple task, as one needs to acheive close tolerances (else there is axial shaft play).

So, to cut this short - go for a new one THAT IS GENUINE - beware of "chinesium" copies or for a known good used one.

Eastcoast43

TDI
2000 jetta
Thanks everybody. I have decided to go with a used turbo for cheap. I plan on saving the money to send my current turbo to be remanned. I really wish i could come up with the cash for a new one but i have to get my clutch changed, my timing done, and get this turbo straight. I appreciate the feedback i now know that rebuilding it myself is not a good option.

kyle

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If I could find the info, there is a good place in Arkansas that will balance your Turbo for $65.00 ......... not bad!

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Eastcoast43 said:
you wouldnt be talking about the guys at http://www.gpopshop.com would you? I just talked to them on the phone today and they were very helpfull. Was planing on using their services when i pull the cash together for the rebuild.
Used them before, and I'll be sending them a K03 shortly to be built for a "customer" (slash-coworker-slash-good friend, who is buying my Dasher :D)

Good folks!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have read so many posts here about unfortunate results with rebuilt turbos and used turbos. I would recommend spending a few hundred dollars more for a new turbo, then not have to worry about replacing it again for many years.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
TornadoRed said:
I have read so many posts here about unfortunate results with rebuilt turbos and used turbos. I would recommend spending a few hundred dollars more for a new turbo, then not have to worry about replacing it again for many years.
X2. Good advice. You ever hear the phrase, "Penny wise and pound foolish". I believe it applies here. Used, you have no idea how it was cared for or if there is junk in the bearings from sitting around open.

also, these turbos should go in excess of 200,000 miles if treated correctly. You say you are already on your second turbocharger. How may miles are you getting out of them and was the second one new when you had it installed?

--Nate

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I tried the rebuild route for what was probably a good turbo. Ended up being the MAF and some plumbing issues. When it came back it would overboost easily. The rebuilder basically said there was nothing they could have done to cause overboost. In the end I bought a new VNT17, they kept the turbo they had rebuilt as a core. So they did what they could. But I was stilll out $, and the use of the car for over a month, paying to have 2 turbo swaps done. I ended up buying another TDI to use while I waited on my car to be brought back to life. It'll be for sale as soon as I get around to posting it here or CL.

I won't post in this thread who it was, but if you PM me I can fill you in a bit.

josue

TDI
2002 Jetta
TornadoRed said:
This is also a forum where a lot of people only visit when they have problems. All the people who have installed a used or rebuilt turbo who had zero problems don't come here to tell everyone about it. Not everyone has "a few extra dollars", I'm sure if Kyle does his homework he can find a used or rebuilt turbo that will work for him.

Eastcoast43

TDI
2000 jetta
I just want to say thanks to everyone that replied to this thread. As far as the life of my turbos my first one blew up on me at around 180,000 miles, it was replaced with a questionable used one and that one just started to fail on me at 206,000 miles. Knowing what I know now I will be saving my money and prob end up going with a new one. The guys in ak seem very ligit but I would like the piece of mind of a new one since the rebuilding option seems so hit or miss.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Were also not talking about rebuilding a turbo that catastrophically failed here either. The cost for rebuilding the OP's turbo might be a fair bit cheaper than if the thing had grenaded.

No need to replace the wheels, no welding/machining of the housing.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Eastcoast43 said:
you wouldnt be talking about the guys at http://www.gpopshop.com would you? I just talked to them on the phone today and they were very helpfull. Was planing on using their services when i pull the cash together for the rebuild.

Yep, that's the place. I didn't have a bookmark for it and seems when my wifey cleaned my desk the paper file on them disappeared as well.

Thanks for posting the link.

Yes, it is my understanding they are a very reputable company that does quality work.

I do know of one case where a dude disassembled his VNT 15 for cleaning purposes:confused: and actually removed the turbine/shaft/impleller without marking their relationship. He put it all back together and works fine (about 18k miles ago) .......... guess he was/has been lucky!

Or, his engine could pay the price at anytime!:rolleyes:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
The gpop shop is not some back yard shed where they work on turbos. If they rebuild it, it will be good as new.
i agree, a good shop can do it. heck in europe its done all the time.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
I've pulled a VNT15 from a car due to excessive oil consumption. Replaced it with a VNT17 and I have disassembled the VNT15 to check for damage. There is no damage to the hard parts of the turbo, but the shaft has a bit of play. I have sent it to gpop shop to get their assessment and pricing(In transit now).

I wouldn't have tried this if there was any wheel or housing damage. I've read the advice on this thread - and I understand it - but I think I would rather have a turbo rebuilt by a reputable source than buy a used turbo with an unknown life expectancy. The candidate rebuild turbo has a known history, boosts perfectly, no physical visible damage but does use a bit too much oil (1/4 qt per tankful of fuel)

I just can't see spending 400 on a used turbo when I get get a rebuild for 350, and it's hard to justify 850+ for a new one.

Does anyone have real life experience with a rebuilt VNT15 from gpopshop? They also sell the genuine garrett rebuild kit for this turbo for $120. I considered that, and just marking the wheels, but I'd feel better knowing it was balanced with the proper equipment.

Wayne64SS

Veteran Member
TDI
none
bringing this back to life because I just installed a reman center section from the GPOP shop. I'll post results good or bad, as I'd like to be able to recommend or not recommend to my customers.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
It'll be interesting.

I've never posted my experience. It's been a while now. About a VNT15 rebuild.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
I too had heard good things.

My experience wasn't pleasant at all.

And their attitude when we called about issues was strickly that they could never do anything incorrect and that they test everything before it goes out the door. Later to find out I don't believe they have the ability to test the TDI turbo's.

After car was down for a month, and I had sent them a good turbo to begin with, I went with a VNT17. This month included sending the turbo back for them to analyze since it has chronic overboost. They still swore it was fine - I think this is when it became clear they couldn't really test it.

They may be good for normal turbo's like for a 1.8 but for the VNT15 not so much. And they are awful paranoid when you call them with a problem.

I can send you a PM if you'd like more particulars.

They are on my personal "never to be used again" list for a TDI turbo at the least and due to attitude probably not for anything else either.

Wayne64SS

Veteran Member
TDI
none
hmmm yea pm me, when you say overboost do you mean limp mode also? or just too much boost on the guage?

I only bought a center section, and did the assembly of the center to the housing myself.... one thing I did notice is that the little stopper for the vnt is missadjusted compared with the OG turbo. I'm going to dick with that tonight because 10 people showed up and i forgot to do it on the bench. DAMNIT. lol wondering if you had the same kind of issue?