Log 011 Graphs

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
I am currently in the process of having my car tuned via Aligator. I am now running mod-3 in my car at the moment. I have excellent power and no smoke. However I am getting a pretty big underboost. My log runs are done in 3rd gear starting at 25mph and then I floor it to redline. All runs were done on dry flat ground. Yesterday and today I got a couple odd graphs from my runs. Two looked fine but two were odd. We are assuming that either my N-75 is going south or that my turbo needs cleaning. The turbo has 120,000 miles on its clock at this time and we are thinking it is having soot fouling issues. All my vacuum lines are new and all other vacuum lines are holding full vacuum. I am running .205 Bosh injectors from my 110hp Euro engine with the Aligator Chip tune mod-3 right now. No smoke period. I tried to get ti to smoke and there is none. I am wanting some other input if you too think my turbo needs a good cleaning or not. At this point please don't bash about no gauge or boost valve. I am fully aware of thess items and do not intend to install them as yet. I am trying to trouble shoot to figure out if I am having N-75 issues or Turbo Vane soot fouling issues. Go to the below link to view the log file photo album. Ask away on questions and please give good trouble shooting advice.

http://www.inertext.homeunix.com/LogGraphs

Thanks
Pete

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
vacuum leak
I will do just that. I will check every hose. Maybe I did something when I put in my engine awhile back. I,ll crawl under it and over it checking all that stuff before I decide to tear into the turbo. :D

We were thinking of N75 or some sort of vacuum issue or just a sticky vanes in the the turbo.

I'm on the hunt this morning for any leaks or hoses off.

Thanks
Pete

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Found Leak

I found a leak in the vacuum line to the actuator. Now for the down side. Removing the vacuum line I busted the upper nipple off of my N75. Not the one to the actuator. The other issue is re-installing the line to the actuator. That vacuum line attachment nipple has a metal ring around the vacuum line. How do you replace that metal ring? Or what do you use in place of that metal ring? I can't install a hose clamp as there is no room to tighten it because the nipple does not stick out far enough. Soooooo, I am down until I replace the N75. I was thinking of also installing a hard vacuum line between the actuator and the N75 with small rubber vacuum lines between the hard line. That way the only part that would need replaced would be the small rubber if it ever goes bad again. What would be a good hard line? I was thinking of the hard plastic lines used by VW through out the earlier VW's. I can get them at the wrecking yard by the pound. Think that would be a good idea or are those too small in diameter for proper actuator functions?

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Epoxy is such a wonderful thing. I was able to remove and epoxy the vacuum nipple back in place on my N75. I cleaned the plastic with brake cleaner to remove all grease and mixed up a batch of epoxy and held the nipple in place where it busted off and coated the surrounding area with epoxy. I let it set up enough to hold it in place then mixed up another little batch to fully coat and surround the nipple so there will be no vacuum leaks and I was able to leave enough of the nipple to still attach the small vacuum line with out compromise. Nice save. :D

This is super duty epoxy and will hold that vacuum nippple with out a problem and the surrounding area will be stronger than the original.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Sweet, the epoxy fix worked. I have installed a new vacuum line to the VNT actuator and I even made a clip that will hold it in place. It's a circle clip for small fuel lines. I had to modify it just a tad and make the hole a bit smaller so it will hold the vacuum line on the nipple without coming off. Took it for a test drive but I won't have time to do logs unitl morning. I must now get ready for work. I am sooooo glad I hold onto such things. I am a pack rat but then again I only save what I feel might come in handy. It did today. :D

I am hoping for good logs this time. I am holding off on my turbo removal until I get the new logs done tomorrow. I will post the results when I get them.