2001 Jetta auto to 5spd swap project

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS & Jetta GLS(Parts Store), 2015 Passat 6spd
Picked up a 2001 Jetta this week at a Copart auction for $800. Excellent condition car other then the auto is toast. Reverse only works. Engine sounds great. 196k. Scanned with my vag com and only fault was 00652 - Gear monitoring for the auto.

Anyway I have another 2001 Jetta donor car with a 5spd in it. Engine was seized when previous owner took out the oil pan lost all oil. Basically it is my auto parts store for the other cars. It has a new clutch in it from 10k miles ago. Figured this would be a perfect setup to use my donor car and do the swap.

Plan on pulling the front carrier off and pulling the engine and 5spd together out the front.

I have the procedure from the TDI 101 and Bentley along with all the parts to pull. Since this is a new to me task I have a couple of questions.

If the rear main seal isn't leaking should I replace it? My other two TDI's are in the 150k range and no leaks. Sounds like the oil pan has to be dropped in order to change the rear main?

Can some of the ECU wiring be prevented with just swapping the ECU from the 5spd car to the auto?

No indication on when the timing belt was done so will do it to be sure.

Any other tips would be appreciated. I've got a 14 year old son and this will be a father and son project this summer and his car when done. Plan on keeping it all stock.

TDIWings

TDI
05 Jetta
Looks real nice for sure! AFAIK ECU swapping turns up issues with immobilizer and key coding.

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS & Jetta GLS(Parts Store), 2015 Passat 6spd
Thanks. Yeah guess I never thought about that one. Have to stick with the original auto ECU then.

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
5spd and auto ECU are the same, no need to swap. Just need to change an option with VCDS from "auto" to "manual"

I would change the rear main. No need to remove oil pan.

krazyquadridr

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed
Am I just seeing things or does it not say the timing belt was done at 189k on the timing cover, as well as the sticker on the front cowl?

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Am I just seeing things or does it not say the timing belt was done at 189k on the timing cover, as well as the sticker on the front cowl?

Yeah I seen that. However when I pulled the cover doesn't appear they replaced everything. Just the timing belt. Also the tensioner on the serpentine belt is bouncing all over the place. That high of miles I always change the tensioner. I believe it was a half ass timing belt job. Lol.

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
5spd and auto ECU are the same, no need to swap. Just need to change an option with VCDS from "auto" to "manual"

I would change the rear main. No need to remove oil pan.

Nice. Wasn't looking forward to having to drop the oil pan as well to change the rear main. Thanks.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
What's the paint code on that car?

You can do the swap with minimal wiring but you won't have cruise or reverse lights. You will have to ground the start interlock relay or jumper it.

I wouldn't touch the rear main unless it is really leaking. You asked us whether or not to replace the rear main then showed us a picture of the wrong side of the engine.

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
What's the paint code on that car?

You can do the swap with minimal wiring but you won't have cruise or reverse lights. You will have to ground the start interlock relay or jumper it.

I wouldn't touch the rear main unless it is really leaking. You asked us whether or not to replace the rear main then showed us a picture of the wrong side of the engine.

Hey Robby,
Paint code LC6X.

Yeah no cruise or reverse lights not a big deal.

Yeah I took a picture of the clean side. Lol. Haven't gotten at the rear main to see if it's leaking yet. Just got my front carrier off the 5spd Jetta. Should make pulling engine and 5spd easy.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yep, that seems to be the best method to pull engine. I also would not replace the main oil seals on the motor if not leaking.

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the suggestions. If the rear seal isn't leaking I'm not doing it.
Yeah I kind of like the LC6X greenish color. Nice change from my other cars that are the same blue.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Looks like the rear bumper is a mis-match (LB6X maybe). Too bad, I had a perfect LC6X rear bumper from my UTE. Austin Imports might still have it.

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like the rear bumper is a mis-match (LB6X maybe). Too bad, I had a perfect LC6X rear bumper from my UTE. Austin Imports might still have it.

Yeah I believe your right Robby. It is slightly darker. No worries it's going to be the kids car in couple years. I was going to let him have the Golf until I found this one. Now I'm keeping the Golf for myself.

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Read another thread on manual injectors in an auto. Since the 5spd will have the 11mm IP should I swap my 276k 5spd injectors over? Or stay with my 196k auto injectors? Thinking it maybe better just upgrading the nozzles to Pp764's.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk