First Post-New Passat TDI 6MT

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
I've been interested in owning a TDI for over ten years now, been visiting the Tdi club for almost as long. I have tried to buy a TDI a handfull of times and was always deterred by the attitudes of the VW dealers and how great there cars were, and how mine wasn't worth anything, sent me marching right back to the Honda dealership to buy another Accord. Well I made my mind up with my last Accord (2008 EXL-Navi) that until they get off there a$$ and start being leaders again, I'm going elswhere. About six months ago, I opened my new copy of Car and Driver and what do you know, Volkswagon is building a new Passat, right here in the heart of the US, and they were going to put the TDI in it. Made up my mind that that would be our next family car, or pretty much the wifes daily driver. She put 85,000 miles on our Accord in less than three years, mainly interstate driving from WV to Charlotte/Georgia so I knew the TDI would be perfect.

One issue, she didn't even want to hear the word diesel! About a month ago, when they first started hitting the lots, I took her over and drove the demo SEL they had on the lot. She was immediately hooked, and was ready to buy, as was I. Allright, I'll take a SEL exactly like the demo, dealer says great, we can get you one. Called back later and infomed us that there are no SEL's to be found. I started looking frantically as VW started offering 1.9% financing on the Passat Diesel. Do they ever do this?? They alway exclude the TDI. Geez, there were Black exterior/ tan interior SEL's all over the place, this would be easy with so many cars out there for sale! All demo's, owned by VW and not for sale. Figures the car my wife actually wanted was impossible to search for because all the dealers had one on their website, with prices, etc. but not for sale.

Talked with dealer after dealer and no SEL's available. Pretty much gave up knowing I wouldn't be able to find something by the time the 1.9% was over.

Wouldn't ya know it, 10/30, I started looking just for the heck of it. Found a 6MT in her color and started convincing her that we didn't need all the extra stuff in the SEL.. Tough sell for sure as she has always been in a loaded Accord, most with Navi as well.

After some persuading and begging, she allowed it.

The dealer drove the car almost two hours to deliver on Monday and I was sweating bullets wondering what she was going to think about all the stuff that wasn't in the SE. That's all I heard for about 15 minutes, where is the push button start, where is the auto start, where is the sunroof, no nav, etc.

Reluctantly, she started it up, kind of had a stupid look on her face, I knew I was in trouble. Drove around town and then got on the interstate, drove up the interstate, and then back to my work. When I got out, I noticed the look on her face had changed somewhat, and I just left it at that.

It's been three days now and I still haven't even driven the car, she loves the darn thing! Says is has a personality!

I've got several questions for you guys, but I'll save if for later. Planning on driving the car tomorrow so I'll let you know my thoughts later.

Finally a TDI owner, thanks VW for making a great family sedan with a TDI, now just make more of them, you could have made another $7,000 off of me if you had a car available.

Peace

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Congrats....great car, love mine too, the wife gets her fair share of wheel time as well and she loves it also. What color combo did you get?

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
We got black with tan interior. Not my choice, but that's what she wanted. Going to be impossible to keep clean.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
We got black with tan interior. Not my choice, but that's what she wanted. Going to be impossible to keep clean
I hear ya, my wife wanted a lighter interior too, we have a Platinum Gray with Moonrock Gray interior, it's a little darker than the beige but not by much. You will enjoy the ride it is a very nice car and the manual is sweet.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
You are a brave man for convincing your wife to get a manual if she wanted the DSG. Now go out and drive your new stinkin car already!

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
You are a brave man for convincing your wife to get a manual if she wanted the DSG. Now go out and drive your new stinkin car already!
Agreed, probably come back to haunt me.

Wife works nights at the hospital and I'm trying to get our new house under roof before winter sets in, not much time to even look at it yet. Haven't even looked at the owners manual yet. I want to, just don't have time.

I have looked at the MFI just to see what she is getting MPG so far, looks to be like around 39 mpg, rural/city/highway driving. She's known for driving them pretty hard, she typically got about 23 in the Accord (4 cyl) on the same route.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
Happy to hear you found a TDI and it seems to be working out for you. The SEL is the way to go. Too bad they may have missed the mark by not thinking the SEL would be as popular as it seems to be and adjusted production to meet demand. I guess they will get it figured out at one point.

afzink

TDI
2012 VW Passat SEL TDI
First time VW TDI owner also. Been following for a few months now while my car has been on order.

It arrived last week. Produced in October and delivered last week. Reflex silver with Titan black interior. It does have the DSG instead of the 6 speed.

It is great thus far. Put about 250 miles on it since we got it (wife driving it back and forth to work). Getting about 32 mpg (about as advertised). Tank not even to half yet.

Looks great, solid ride. Thumbs down on the Hankook tires. But otherwise good. And was able to lock down the 1.9% financing--and got in under MSRP.

Second diesel owned (98 MB E300).

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
Three issues I had with the SEL:
18" wheels, don't want them, don't need them, the SE is quiter and handles just as good, so what is the point?
No manual transmission option
No HID's, the car is 34,000, it should have HID's.

I was still prepared to buy though, my perfect configuration would be TDI SEL 4-motion with manual, bet we will never see that one!

VW has got to give 6MT owners more options, I would love to have had navigation, fog lights, and the chrome pieces on the doors/bumbers, looks so much better.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Congrats on the purchase and I agree, I would have liked a 6MT SEL but oh well, VW's loss. It's not even like they don't build that configuration, because they do and send it North of the border (Canadian Highline 6MT).

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
Congrats on the purchase and I agree, I would have liked a 6MT SEL but oh well, VW's loss. It's not even like they don't build that configuration, because they do and send it North of the border (Canadian Highline 6MT).
I didn't realize that, well maybe they would offer it in the future once they get things rolling. I guess that would depend on how many manual TDI's they sell as well. From my past experiace, they never built enough of them, because all the ones I found for sale in the past were treated as if they were made of gold.

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
First time VW TDI owner also. Been following for a few months now while my car has been on order.

It arrived last week. Produced in October and delivered last week. Reflex silver with Titan black interior. It does have the DSG instead of the 6 speed.

It is great thus far. Put about 250 miles on it since we got it (wife driving it back and forth to work). Getting about 32 mpg (about as advertised). Tank not even to half yet.

Looks great, solid ride. Thumbs down on the Hankook tires. But otherwise good. And was able to lock down the 1.9% financing--and got in under MSRP.

Sweet. If my wife can get anywhere over 30 driving back and forth to work, I'll be thrilled.

What is so bad about the Hankooks? The seem quite enough, plenty smooth. I noticed that the SE seemed to handle as well if not better than the SEL (I've actually spent more time in the SEL than in my car so far though).

Second diesel owned (98 MB E300).
Sweet. If my wife can get anywhere over 30 driving back and forth to work, I'll be thrilled.

What is so bad about the Hankooks? The seem quite enough, plenty smooth. I noticed that the SE seemed to handle as well if not better than the SEL (I've actually spent more time in the SEL than in my car so far though).

afzink

TDI
2012 VW Passat SEL TDI
The Hankooks are loud. And I can only imagine how much louder they will get once they really start to wear out. Admittedly I am a Michelin guy. And when a Chrysler 200 comes with MXV Primacy's...I have a huge issue with Hankooks on a $30K plus car.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
The Hankooks are loud. And I can only imagine how much louder they will get once they really start to wear out. Admittedly I am a Michelin guy. And when a Chrysler 200 comes with MXV Primacy's...I have a huge issue with Hankooks on a $30K plus car.
I rented a 200 with those tires recently, which is what I have on my passat, and I think chysler invested well. With lesser tires I doubt the ride would have been as good as it was. We were sort of surprised by the ride but not impressed with the engine especially when we left sea level.