Just Bought a 2001 Jetta TDI

autenje

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
and I have been reading post and I am not sure on a couple issues, please advise.

WVO, everything I have read that 2004 and new it is a bad idea due to PD, well since I own a 2001 would it be ok to convert using a kit like the following.

www.greasecar.com

Biodiesel

Yes, No? and If yes what grade.

Thanks in advance

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
I can only testify that my Jetta '97 TDI has been running on 100% biodiesel for almost a year now without problems, except for needing to add some keresene during freezing temperatures to avoid geling.

Can't advise you on the WVO conversion, but my gut feeling is that it's OK.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Biodiesel should be no problem in any concentration, with the usual warnings for possible fuel filter clogging on older cars run on diesel. WVO is a whole other ball game from what I have read. Seems you must be pretty dedicated to this commitment to make it work well. Read alot first and make sure it is what you really want to do. Try here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
There have been some instances here of people reporting 'major damage' using a WVO conversion on the 99.5-04 VE pump motors. And some have no problems when they take care of filtering and heating.

Personally, I would not do it. But that's my choice.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
We've been burning B100 for over seven years now with no problems.

My hat is off to those who burn WVO, although I'd not do it myself with a TDI.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I have no problem with WVO in a mercedes..since those engines run on any type of fuel....or so it seems.

99 to 03 TDIs are a bit more finicky...though if you are extremely careful, and make sure you follow all the steps in running the WVO...then it will work. There are people on this forum who have read about or have personal experience with running SVO in a TDI. Seems like TDIs from these years are the best choice for SVO, compared to other years

I personally would not do it, since I think I may forget to switch over , or purge, or ??? I stick to biodiesel with some additives, or some mix that I happen to blend . You may Perhaps maybe even add some additives or jet fuel to thin out the WVO, and it will help clean the injectors ?? Please ask your installer or research more on this issue.

You are your own warranty on this.....but I salute you for trying to use alternative fuel sources .

welcome to the club.!!

Last edited:

gtmotor

TDI
98 Beetle
I would avoid the Greasecar kit. I helped a friend install one and it's been nothing but trouble. Their customer service sucks also. My friend is an ASE certified mechanic and I'm an engineer that designs missiles and other aerospace/defense components. They were totally rude and blew off our suggestions for change.

I hadn't found a single system out there that is robust enough to offer a quality conversion so we built our own. My mechanic is making sure it's easy to install/maintain and I'm making sure the engineering is done properly and not by "hippies" in their backyard somewhere.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
gtmotor said:
I would avoid the Greasecar kit. I helped a friend install one and it's been nothing but trouble. Their customer service sucks also. My friend is an ASE certified mechanic and I'm an engineer that designs missiles and other aerospace/defense components. They were totally rude and blew off our suggestions for change.

I hadn't found a single system out there that is robust enough to offer a quality conversion so we built our own. My mechanic is making sure it's easy to install/maintain and I'm making sure the engineering is done properly and not by "hippies" in their backyard somewhere.
GTMotor,
Out of curiousity, would you share what you didn't like about the kit or what the troubles you had were. Not affiliated with them in any way, just wondering...:)

gtmotor

TDI
98 Beetle
vwcampin said:
GTMotor,
Out of curiousity, would you share what you didn't like about the kit or what the troubles you had were. Not affiliated with them in any way, just wondering...:)
There are some strong points... and there are some weak points.

Strong points:

1) Kit was complete, needed nothing else to get running.
2) Instruction manual was very good.
3) There is a strong user base of others using their kits.

Weak points:

1) Engineering needs some work. It doesn't provide nearly enough heat to safely run on VO. Buy and run at your own risk.
2) Cheap components are used. Tank was thin sheet metal and machined parts are second rate. Gauge/switch holder was laughable.
3) Customer service. This can be offset by the # of users out there (kind of like going to a VW dealership vs. asking tdiclub).

That is just my own opinion. Take it as you will :cool:

My advice is also not to run a TDI on SVO unless the kit is "Porsche" quality.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Hi,

I'm an Elsbett service-partner, and they sell kits for PD's.
With an engine warranty too, unique among SVO kits.

They have both dual and single tank kits for PD's.
www.elsbett.com and search in the Online Shop.

PD's with DPF's, diesel particle filters, are not yet suitable for an Elsbett conversion.

Fryer Truck's

"I personally would not do it, since I think I may forget to switch over , or purge, or ??? .

You are your own warranty on this.....but I salute you for trying to use alternative fuel sources ."

All good reasons to go single-tank with a kit that comes with a warranty.
Like I did. :)

http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html

Last edited:

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
GTMotor,
Thanks for posting your opinions. They seem to be basically what I have heard others indicate as well:) I do think it can be a workable system though with add ons like a FPHE or a Vegtherm to assist in the heating.