Timing Belt in OKC

RossAllen

TDI
Jetta, 2001, silver
I'm doing my first timing belt change and I was wondering if anyone out there know a good place to have your timing belt changed in the OKC area? Any suggestions on using a smaller garage (like Larry's) instead of Cable?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Hi Ross,

Larry's VW Import Service on NE 23 did mine two months ago and it runs just fine. THey do a lot of work for Cable, matter of fact, and the price was fair. I also had them put in the new water pump and I think a longer lasting belt, plus replace external belts and new coolant. PRice was agreeable compared to Cable. Several around here have used him. I'm going to have him install my front shocks from tdiparts.com when they get here. Far piece for me to drive (Yukon), but TDI mechanics don't grow on trees around here

http://www.larrysvwservice.com/

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey you, just make sure you turn right instead of left when you get up here, or you'll end up in AK again

You gonna be at DZLJET's YMCA thingie? Fur piece of to ON's...Missouri just goes on and on and....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
Hi OKC TDIers, I'm re-posting here for the OKC bunch that we
will be having a GTG this Saturday, March 5th at the Petro
Truck Stop on I-40 I-35 split and MLK Blvd at 9:30am. Bring
your Vag-Com tools if you got em. They have a breakfast buffet or just coffee if you want, plus a nice auto parking lot in front. Seeya there!

05 black passat pd tdi
99 blue twin stack mack
with a shack on the back

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
We are just busy people
. Kids are alright...I took my boy to the last one at La Baguette...got his first taste of latte and almost flipped it into Lightwave's lap

Hey I had NO idea okcwetdubs was in existence! Coolers...I may have found something to do in my spare time now, hehe.

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
Hi Guys,
this gtg time, date or place is not set in stone, if anyone
has a more agreeable time, day or location, please post up.

I just kinda figured that okc would be more central to the masses,
I actually live between Lindsey and Chickasha, but I don't mind the comute. My youngest is 24 years old so I
tend o forget the more demanding request of those that have younger kids(my bad, haha). I am open to any ideas.
But we are past due for a gtg, so lets plan something.
THe Petro is the truckstop a half of block north of the waffle house.

BKs_Little_D

TDI
DOH! 83 rabbit; 82 rabbit
You have got to be the first and only person I have ever known to say anything good about Larry's! Of course you aren't from this side of town so that may be the explanation. I took my 83 GTI there once for a starting problem (before I had ANY experience with VW's or engines) and came away with $250 in repairs to the the cooling system which was just fine when I took it in. I and anyone I know who has dealt with him wouldn't trust him to fix a flat. IMHO.

I use Del city auto, just east of sunnylane on SE 15th. He works on anything it seems but he has tons of VW experience and has a lot full of VW's as well. He is really good, friendly guy, inexpensive and doesn't mind comming in on the middle of a job if I get in over my head. Of course he is just around the corner too so I don't have far to tow the car when this happens either.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
how odd
. I went to Larry's based on the recommendation of a woman here last year who had him do her TB, and then I talked to a couple more who had good fortune. Well, I dunno...my ride is ticking right along and his guy did the whole routine, so we'll see. It is a little drive over there from here (yukon), on the other hand I'd rather eat a bug than pay Cable Service to do anything. Wouldn't hurt to get your guy's info in case.

BKs_Little_D

TDI
DOH! 83 rabbit; 82 rabbit
Well I am glad that you had a good experience!
I asked my wife (who is a long time local) and she said she has always thought Larry's was the oddest place because she knows so many who have had a good experience and so many that feel as I do that they got a really raw deal.

Well Del City Auto Repair has done me right and for those of you needing another source...

I mistyped his location above. He is at 3932 E Reno between I-35 and SunnyLane on the south side of the road. I don't remember the man's name, it has been about a year since I have had to see him. I attmept to do as much as I can on my own.

Not much of a turnout Sat. I came in a bit late but I guess noone showed? One man from Edmond was there.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Hya, I think everyone had children needing to go to sports venues, including me.

I wonder if Ross got his TB done? I may get frisky and put the rear shocks on Saturday morning, but will have someone do the fronts, not sure yet where to go...probably struts won't require strictly VW expertise so I can stay closer to home.

TDIOKIE

I ended up going back to Cable for my 120K Tb and Idler Tension as well. In the process my check engine light that came on 2 weeks ago came back as the glow plug and glow plug harness...
Can this procedure be performed by anyone other then Cable?

Thanks,

david

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Your cel came on WHILE they had your car doing the service?
I hope they didn't batter the harness in-process. Be that as it may, my Vag-Com will clear out your codes and I have changed out harness and glow plugs, and we can check your plugs, etc, with the meter...just need to set up a time. Send me an email and we can talk it over.

Rick

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Ross I see you man
...where you been, son?? I don't wanna know if it has to do with McAlester, snicker