www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old February 8th, 2019, 18:17   #1
atikovi
Veteran Member

Default 322,000 mile 2006 engine stalling when coming to a stop. Very hard to start. P0101

Bought the car last week and just drove it home this afternoon. When cold it started and ran fine. Drove 20 miles home on the highway no problem. I do hear a hissing or whining noise when accelerating. Not a turbo whine. When I got off the highway the engine stalled as I come to a stop. I was able to get it get back in gear to pop the clutch and restart before coming to a full stop. Held the rpm at 1,000 while using the hand brake to stop. Noticed this happening a few times again but caught in time. Stopped off at a store for 10 minutes before getting home, after which it was very hard to start. Got home and turned it off and tried to restart. Ok if done immediately, but after 10 minutes very hard. Vagcom shows P0101 MAF sensor G70 implausible signal. Not getting a check engine light. My last TDI was a 99 over 10 years ago so Iíve been out of the game a while. My limited searching here has led to cam wear or EGR valve problems. Where do I start to diagnose this?
atikovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 19:46   #2
kdawg89
Veteran Member

Sounds like EGR valve stuck open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold:06 Jetta, Darkside GTB1749V turbo, stage 4 malone tuning, 3 bar map, EGR delete, ASV deleted, buzzken catless downpipe, IDParts billet cam
kdawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 11:53   #3
atikovi
Veteran Member

So what is it about the EGR valve being open that it's hard to start when hot but not when cold?
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:42   #4
prsa01
Veteran Member

Possibly in-tank fuel pump? Make sure you hear it run for some seconds at key on. You could also confirm fuel flow by pulling input line at filter.

RE: EGR - check other thread here. I believe you can disable and lock open to confirm.
prsa01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 10:05   #5
atikovi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg89 View Post
Sounds like EGR valve stuck open.
Removed EGR valve and it was closed. Bench tested it. Works fine.
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:24   #6
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Removed EGR valve and it was closed. Bench tested it. Works fine.
Did you look at the intake while at it?

P0101 is open/short to ground so maybe the MAF is not getting power or the wire to ecm (pin 5 IIRC) is broken/grounded.
Does it behave better with the MAF unplugged?

I once had a very small leak in a fuel hose (just sweating) that caused the fuel to retract back to the fuel tank between runs and that made it hard to start. But that was an older diesel and the lift pump should negate that. Should...
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 08:31   #7
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Have you done the basics. Replace fuel filter and air filter. If your hearing a hiss then leak test the pressure pipes from the turbo. Will need to pull valve cover to look for lobe wear on cam. Like another poster stated pull maf plug, if it is a bad maf it should run better. Pull line from tank at fuel fuel filter to check flow when key is first turned on. Lots of DIY on these issues which are most common. Keep in mind wiring harness issues(shorts) can also be a problem and poor grounds. Check where wires cross etc.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 09:53   #8
atikovi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokivasara View Post
Did you look at the intake while at it?
P0101 is open/short to ground so maybe the MAF is not getting power or the wire to ecm (pin 5 IIRC) is broken/grounded.
Does it behave better with the MAF unplugged?
Vagcom shows MAF output but I'll try unplugging and see how it runs.
Old February 11th, 2019, 09:58   #9
atikovi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
Have you done the basics. Replace fuel filter and air filter. If your hearing a hiss then leak test the pressure pipes from the turbo. Will need to pull valve cover to look for lobe wear on cam. Like another poster stated pull maf plug, if it is a bad maf it should run better. Pull line from tank at fuel fuel filter to check flow when key is first turned on.
Air filter is new. Car ran fine on the highway so the fuel filter should be OK. Just ordered an intake hose bladder adapter thingy for my smoke machine to do a leak test. Checking the cam is on the list.
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:41   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The hissing noise is likely the EGR cooler leaking, which they all eventually do. I have seen some really bad ones, but they never caused the engine to quit running, but I guess it is possible.

I also know that there are some additives that people can overdose the fuel on, and cause this exact same thing.
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:45   #11
atikovi
Veteran Member

No EGR cooler.
Old February 13th, 2019, 12:58   #12
atikovi
Veteran Member

Disconnected the MAF sensor. No change. Engine dies if I press the clutch down and take my foot off the accelerator when it's warmed up. Talked to the previous owner and the cam was changed at each timing belt change, the last one being about 100K ago. Guess I'll pull the valve cover next. Do the cams only last 100K on these?
Old February 13th, 2019, 19:33   #13
atikovi
Veteran Member

Stepped on the gas...err accelerator for the first time. This thing is quick. Plenty of boost. I think that hissing noise is more like a squeal and it's from the serpentine belt tensioner. Pulley bearing is worn. Replacing it tomorrow. BTW, is there some way to rev the engine from under the hood?
Old February 16th, 2019, 18:54   #14
atikovi
Veteran Member

Engine doesn't die anymore when I come to a stop. Not sure what I did to cure that other than clean the MAF sensor, but it still throws a code for that. Still hard to start when warm but I have some ideas.