Frostheater?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Yup. Plan to put it on a timer when temps get below freezing. Also plan to log trip MPGs with/without to see the impact of warm-up time. Thanks for posting. I read our friends in the great white north get a block heater from the factory.

John

TDI
awaiting 2012 Passat TDI Highline DSG
You bet ;) every car/truck sold in Canada has a block heater... However, I bet less than 10% actually use them, especially in Toronto. You're saying that's not an option for US models? Ridiculous.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I take the purpose for this is to warm up the coolant to help the engine, right? I ask because we already have an auxiliary electric heater that warms up the interior air quite quickly. Added to that, we have a water-air intercooler (unlike all previous TDIs) that presumably warms up the coolant faster than earlier TDIs as well. Just sayin'.

Thor

TDI
Jetta 2000 black
I have one in my jetta for about 8 years now, works great, easy install:)

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
I take the purpose for this is to warm up the coolant to help the engine, right? I ask because we already have an auxiliary electric heater that warms up the interior air quite quickly. Added to that, we have a water-air intercooler (unlike all previous TDIs) that presumably warms up the coolant faster than earlier TDIs as well. Just sayin'.
Yea, coolant heater. I'm still on the fence as this would probably be the only year I would even need, my garage will be finished by next winter (if it ever quites raining here!).

I noticed that last night, even with the aux heater it still takes a while for the TDI to get up to operating temp and blow some hotter air. It really goes through the fuel until that happens as well. I doubt my wife would be to keen on plugging in anyway, so I may not do it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw how cold does the average winter night get down there? Even single digits?

i'd say enjoy the heated seats and save the 125 for additve

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
We usually have a couple weeks of 0 or below. Late Dec through mid February, it is cold! Average mornings usually below 20.