The Nigerian Passat

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
In the Nigerian market, for example, Anurag said Passat is available in three 1.8litre Turbocharged engine variants with the 1.8 Turbocharged FSI (160PS) Highline SEL topping the range followed by 1.8 Turbocharged FSI (160PS) Highline SE and the 1.8 Turbocharged FSI (160PS) Highline (S).

These cars all offer Tiptronic 7-speed DSG automatic transmission that promises more than 60 kmpg on the highway and a maximum cruising range of nearly 2,000 kilometres, the VW brand manager stressed.

The VW line-up starts with the 1.8litre ‘S’ base model, which comes standard with 16-inch alloy wheels, keyless entry, full power accessories, three spoke multi functional power steering, front fog lamps with fixed bending lights, auto headlight activation plus day-time running lights, and a six-way semi-electric driver seat adjustment.

What’s more, Passat’s tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, an eight-speaker sound system, an MP3 player, auxiliary audio input with a front-seat centre armrest and an analogue clock in the dashboard are added features that distinguishes this German engineered sedan.

Now move up to the SE trim level where 17-inch alloy wheels, a six-way power driver seat, heated front seats, leatherette premium alcantara/ vienna upholstery and a touchscreen audio interface places the Passat way ahead of rival brands.

The 1.8 cubic litre SEL however, adds upgraded power front seats with driver memory functions, KESSY- keyless entry and ignition, Nappa leather (sport) upholstery, privacy glasses for rear passenger compartment, sun and moon roof, sports alloy wheels, ambience package and Bi-xenon headlamps with LED separate day time running lights.

Talking safety, antilock brakes, traction and stability control, driver and front passenger airbags, front side airbags and side curtain airbags, fire extinguisher and c-caution are provided as standard in the upgraded Passat.
Interesting specs, particularly the use of the TSI and 7 speed for each trim line.

Here is a site that has better pix:

http://newcarnews.org/vw-passat-1-8-tsi-160-dsg-7.html

This car wants desperately to put money into your bank account.
:D

Last edited:

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
This looks like the same old body car that is available in Europe.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I like the smoother "old" lines better.

The engine/trans choice is interesting. All three trim levels have turbo gas and 7 speed.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I like the smoother "old" lines better.

The engine/trans choice is interesting. All three trim levels have turbo gas and 7 speed.
All a matter of person taste. I think that you will see the old body style soon show it's age as more of the new body style hit the road.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Personal taste or not, I have to say it's ironic that Nigeria is getting xenon/LED lights and we aren't.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
They do have some fairly rich folks over there. For those rich folks, they are offered some fairly nice cars.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Nigeria has more wealthy buyers than the USA?
I think that the difference is that the wealthy buyers in the USA don't buy Volkswagens. They buy Mercedes Benz, BMW, Cadillac, Bentley, etc. A wealthy American would not be caught dead driving a VW - it's just not "cool" here. Nigeria might have different ideas about what is considered "wealthy", as well as differing costs of fuel, road quality, and a slew of other factors we haven't even thought about. Life is never as simple as we might like to believe.

I'm not sure why you seem to be so obsessed with whatever VW models we cannot buy here. VWoA makes their decisions based on what they believe will sell here. They may not always be right, but their market research guides the models (and options) available in the US. I personally believe they are usually correct (or at least close). Americans think that small cars are cheap cars. Therefore, we are not (usually) willing to buy really nice small cars because they would cost more than they think a small car should cost. VWoA must consider the cost of the cars they sell here and de-content them as necessary to get the price down to a number that Americans consider reasonable. VW (and other companies) only offer the cars that they believe they can sell in large numbers. It is a purely business (economic) decision.

In Europe (and elsewhere), people are willing to spend the money to buy a really nice (read: well optioned) small car because they want quality plus good mileage. Americans would learn to feel the same way if gasoline cost was as high here as what most of the rest of the world pays. As long as we have "cheap" fuel (compared to much of the rest of the world), we will tend to continue to avoid small cars in favor of SUVs and trucks for everyday transportation and small cars will continue to be considered cheap cars. Those of us who appreciate good small cars are in a minority and the minority never drives consumption or production. It is what it is, period.

Have Fun!

Don

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
Nigeria has more wealthy buyers than the USA?
Of course they do! I have received hundreds of emails asking for millions of dollars that I have gladly sent over because the payoff will be fantastic! So, based on the number of emails, and the number of people sending money over, Nigeria must be one of the richest countries per person in the world.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Of course they do! I have received hundreds of emails asking for millions of dollars that I have gladly sent over because the payoff will be fantastic! So, based on the number of emails, and the number of people sending money over, Nigeria must be one of the richest countries per person in the world.
Yes, based on the emails I've received, they're all Nigerian Princes in need of a USA bank account to facilitate their financial transactions. I gladly forward my bank Routing and Checking Account numbers every time.