hi all i think this is going to be my first ever post on here,

im looking to upgrade the turbo on my car soon,
i have heard about the 130bhp,150bhp or 170bhp
which one is the best on to go for and what would i need? parts wise

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
the 1749vc from the 170 wont fit i think they are two types one pd and one common rail but i think both bolt to a 16v head . i think its only an option for the passat.
the pd 130 1749va is a bit pointless in my opinion when theres plenty more vb turbos from the pd 150 now in the uk. i like my pd 150 vb turbo with race 520s and 24-25 psi tune . but i have few other mods to make it feel that good. so my question is are you on a tight budget because i would rather go for a 17/22 or 1756 hybrid straight off if i were to do it all over again . saves allot of cash in the long run. have a look on the classifieds on uk-mk1vs theres always new or second hand hybrids going for half price on there . the vb is about £300 quid cheaper second hand but the hybrid worth it

Golf_III

TDI
MK3 Golf AHU
im not after major power because i will have to upgrade the diff and clutch, because of tight budget, i am a university student and i dont get a student loan this year :(
what is advised for a turbo as i do have a tight budget

Last edited:

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
looking at your car is it the wastgate 90bhp model if so its more of a pain to get decent power from . non of the vnt turbos are plug n p[lay on a wastegate . you might be best just going for a tune to around 120bhp

Golf_III

TDI
MK3 Golf AHU
yeah i have the wastegate 90bhp model, engine code is AHU and i have bigger injectors but i havent placed them in yet, they are meant to add an extra 20bhp? (im a newbie at this)

Golf_III

TDI
MK3 Golf AHU
would it not be possible if i changed the exhaust manifold, the turbo along with the wastgate and change the n75 valve to a mk4 n75 valve? oh before i forget the oil feed lines, could i change the oil feed so tat it runs to a oil cooler rather then going back into the engine?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
if you go that route, you still need a tune.

Easiest thing, without much complication is: for the turbo a gt1749va plus afn manifold, injectors with .216 or .230 nozzles, the n75 valve, the vacuum reservoir, the oil lines. And the tune. That's still $1200 US dollars considering you have the upgraded injectors already. You may need a couple custom intercooler pipes. IF you want, the K03/k04 turbo can save you a little bit, but I still say go the VNT route if you are so interested.

I say it's easy, but it's still relative mate. Check conversions section for G60ing recent thread about his Corrado.

Golf_III

TDI
MK3 Golf AHU
if you go that route, you still need a tune.

Easiest thing, without much complication is: for the turbo a gt1749va plus afn manifold, injectors with .216 or .230 nozzles, the n75 valve, the vacuum reservoir, the oil lines. And the tune. That's still $1200 US dollars considering you have the upgraded injectors already. You may need a couple custom intercooler pipes. IF you want, the K03/k04 turbo can save you a little bit, but I still say go the VNT route if you are so interested.

I say it's easy, but it's still relative mate. Check conversions section for G60ing recent thread about his Corrado.
yh i forgot to mention the tune/remap.

What would i need to for the VNT route? also i ont want to harm my car i still need to get her running right firstly

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
looking at your car is it the wastgate 90bhp model if so its more of a pain to get decent power from . non of the vnt turbos are plug n p[lay on a wastegate . you might be best just going for a tune to around 120bhp
Hi Cog,

In this situation,could he get away with just swapping the ECU for a later one (from a '99 on 110),which would have the vnt software built in?.I'd be interested to know the answer to this also as i'm having issues with getting my car to run with the original,modified ECU, after transferring files,using MK4 n75 valve/4 bar Map.(I have a PD150 turbo fitted).The car will run ok with a standard 1Z/AHU Ecu but will not rev up (as expected).If i could find a later ECU then i could make the car useable at least until my programming issues are sorted.

Last edited:

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
i dont think the ecu is a straight swap theres allot of different senders and wiring going to different conectionson my 110 than there is on the wasgate model .i could be wrong but i think it would be far easier to get your currnet ecu mapped for the vnt

DRVRFWND

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd
hi all i think this is going to be my first ever post on here,

im looking to upgrade the turbo on my car soon,
i have heard about the 130bhp,150bhp or 170bhp
which one is the best on to go for and what would i need? parts wise

i just went through this a few months back....

i have a 98 AHU, and i went with a 1749VC turbo/AFN manifold/PD150 Intake and R520's, Malone tune, and i did changeover to VNT vaccum and res ball.

the car makes very very nice power

i would recommend this set up all day long.

it's easy, if you have any questions IM me.

Cheers
Vic.

Duster408

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
im not after major power because i will have to upgrade the diff and clutch, because of tight budget, i am a university student and i dont get a student loan this year :(
what is advised for a turbo as i do have a tight budget
.216 injectors, stage II tune from a trusted vender, if legal in your area - remove catalytic converter and a PD130 Intake (same as a PD150 but opposite side - Drivers side vs Pass. side) will result in factory clutch slipping in a short time. These upgrades are inexpensive and will bring you up to 130HP. If change to larger turbo and the associated items to make it work, you will spend alot more and will need to upgrade clutch anyway. I got about 5000 miles with the above mods before the clutch started slipping.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
It really depends on your clutch. When I had 200k miles, I had a k03/k04 turbo, pp764's (.230um?), idparts downpipe, 2.5exhaust, fmic with 2.5 pipes, malone tune, and it did not slip.

I moved to a gt2056v from a jeep, with race520's a bit of smoke and it did not slip. Would that have lasted? I doubt it. When I got the clutch changed :rolleyes: The springs on the 230k mile clutch were about to let loose, but the clutch face still had plenty of life left. my stock Luk clutch did me well, but you won't know if you got a Luk in there or not.

So, on b4/a3 clutches, ymmv on if it slips with the mods or not. But if you got some miles, just be ready for a replacement, you can't ask for TOO much now =)

DRVRFWND has a good setup, ask him what it cost do it like his, it's pretty much what I mentioned but with the VC turbo (better choice). Going to the VNT though, just know the boost gets on much quicker, so yes, think about the clutch again.

DRVRFWND

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd
DRVRFWND has a good setup, ask him what it cost do it like his, it's pretty much what I mentioned but with the VC turbo (better choice). Going to the VNT though, just know the boost gets on much quicker, so yes, think about the clutch again.
it really is a nice moderate set up!

you really need to go to the VC turbo, but it does require a bit of modification to get it mounted up to a AFN manifold

Cheers
Vic.

Little Pickle

Veteran Member
TDI
Seat Arosa 1z TDI 150bhp/320NM
Hi there

I have a 90hp 1z and I went for a bolt on hybrid. I noticed quite a significant increase in power for my project but then the car only weighs about 800kgs. I am glad i didnt go down the road of changing manifolds like some suggested here...I get wheel spin in 4th with my current setup.

Golf_III

TDI
MK3 Golf AHU
Hi there

I have a 90hp 1z and I went for a bolt on hybrid. I noticed quite a significant increase in power for my project but then the car only weighs about 800kgs. I am glad i didnt go down the road of changing manifolds like some suggested here...I get wheel spin in 4th with my current setup.

Which bolt on hybrid?
what did you have to change??
are 1z and AHU the same?