www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 8th, 2004, 05:41   #1
master cylinder
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 51.7/47/42
Default Need TB change guide in Brighton, MI area.

Here is the story - My neighbor bought a '99 Beetle TDI with 55,000 miles on her. I have a '02 Jetta TDI with 47,000 miles. I will eventually have to change my belt (within two years) so we decided to go in halves on the Metalnerd tool kit (we have to order yet) and do our own TB change as we have at least eight TDI's amongst our family and friends that will all need TB changes at some point in the future. This '99 Beetle will be our first TDI TB change, so we would like to have a seasoned Veteran of these changes to guide us through our first TB change. Money and/or Beer is no problem. Once we get through this first change with a veteran as our guide - we will have more confidence on the next eight on our own. We will be changing a TB on a '92 EcoDiesel in the next couple of months, but we already have the tools for this and have done these before. We just need the experience of anothers for the TDI.

Anyone willing to give us a hand - you don't have to get dirty as we will do all of the work and have the tools (need Vag Com though). We just need your brains and experience. I would imagine it happenening within the next month or so as it has 56,800 miles on it now. We can set it up firmly as the time approaches. Thanks in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
master cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 16:38   #2
master cylinder

Anybody?
Old May 8th, 2004, 16:41   #3
MOGolf
Veteran Member

How about taking it to Hondo's GTG?
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 19:16   #4
SCCAFV17
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/41/38

I work in Milford & could help out after work sometime. I'm on the VAG-COM list or you can send me a PM. Just let me know in advance & we can work out our schedules.

Eric
SCCAFV17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 20:36   #5
Mark of Diesel

There will be an abundance of talent and experience in these matters at Hondos' GTG at the end of the month (May). If you're not into the group scene, I'd be willing to help. Let me know about a time frame and we can set something up. I'm in Saginaw BTW.
Mark of Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:31   #6
master cylinder

How do the GTG's work? Are actual TB changes performed? If so - just one for demonstration purposes or as many as people bring? How long does a typical TB change take? Thanks for all the help and info.
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:47   #7
lrpavlo
Veteran Member

I'm in the Middle of the mitten....like Mark of Diesel....willing to supervise and maybe get a little dirty. Have all the tools. I'd usually plan on 6 hours to do the job....lots of fun stuff going on ya know!
lrpavlo is offline   Reply With Quote