www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 21st, 2016, 11:14   #1
Thiggins

Default Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

I am kind of tossed on weather to trade my car in for another VW, or let them fix it.

I purchased my '12 VW TDI Prem w/ Nav brand new and I have 110k miles. I have loved my VW since day one, and my plan was to drive this car into the ground.

If you are trading yours in, what are you hoping to get next?

If you are keeping yours and letting VW fix it, you think it will still perform the same?
Thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 13:17   #2
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

I'm really hoping to keep my TDI but VW will not be "fixing" it. If the deal is too good to pass up and I decided to part ways with the car I'd look at a CPO MK6 GTI or a new Ford Focus ST or the RS models. Ford has some good incentives that could make one of those two models very attractively priced.
Old June 21st, 2016, 17:46   #3
DEAD-BROKE
Veteran Member

depending on how things pan out, i'll end up in a 2015 mustang GT.
DEAD-BROKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:48   #4
Rico567
Veteran Member

Given that we own the NMS Passat TDI, it's very difficult to see where an equivalent car would come from. A gas car would very likely not be a VW, if the efficiency of the diesel must be abandoned. Gaining the utility of a wagon (our other car is a rather elderly SAAB wagon) at the sacrifice of some fuel efficiency makes an Outback a likely contender. We've been pleased with the Passat, but circumstances are changing....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 04:51   #5
GyroRon
Veteran Member

I think anyone wanting to trade out or sell back their TDI for something else has to consider.... Do they want stellar MPG or just a good functional car or something else?

I bought my TDI strictly for the MPG. I drive alot on the weekends ( I have a truck I use monday through friday for work ) and alot of that driving is to and from motorcycle rides and races and I tow the bike or bikes behind the car on a small trailer. Sure I could throw the bike in the bed of my Toyota Tundra and drive that, but it only gets 13-16 mpg. And my truck is hitched up to a big enclosed trailer I use for my lawnservice business and I hate to unhitch it anytime I need to go somewhere not work related, hence why I have a 2nd vehicle.

Ive had a Toyota Echo, Corolla, Camry, Mazda 5, and a Honda Accord... and ultimately ended up with the Jetta TDI. I could get 28 to 30 mpg towing with the echo and or corolla, and only slightly less with the Camry. The Mazda 5 was only good for 22-25 mpg, same as the accord. With the TDI, I get 35 to as much as 42 mpg towing.... Big difference! and of course right now fuel prices are much lower than a year or two ago, but its still a substantial savings.

Before buying the TDI, I had considered a Prius or some other hybrid, But since I tow and do alot of towing down the highway, I felt like any hybrid would end up depleting the battery rather quickly and have to run the bulk of the time on the gas engine.... and doing so, it would not do much better than the echo or corolla did, plus it would have low torque since they have such small engines and would have to downshift and scream the engine on hills and the such. I felt like the TDI with all the torque they produce would have no troubles pulling my bikes and still be able to return good MPG and I was right.

So if I were to be tempted to let VW buyback my car or were to consider selling it or trading it in for something else, I would first have to decide is 35+ MPG towing still super important to me? If it is, I feel like there is only one choice out there that I would consider and that is the latest generation Accord Hybrid. It has a large enough engine under the hood that it should be able to pull my bikes without much trouble, it is a large luxurious good looking car and we all know Honda makes a reliable product. Not towing these cars equal or better the TDI in fuel economy.

If MPG isn't as important to me then the skyis the limit. And honestly, with gas costing 2$ a gallon or less... and if there was any certainty it would stay at this price level, I would be happy with anything that can do at least 20 mpg... I have two kids of my own, and have a semi new girlfriend who also has two kids. Other than my tundra both of our cars only seat 5 people tops. So anywhere we go we have to take two cars. I might look at a 3 row SUV like a highlander... or even might consider a MINIVAN! yeah no cool points for me.

I also have a slight urge to get something with performance. Ill be 44 in less than 2 months and I have never owned any kind of cool performance type car. Never had a mustang or camaro, never owned a BMW or performance Benz, No sports cars of any kind... I do have a slight itch to possibly get a 5.0 mustang or a BMW 335i or something along those lines. So who knows....
GyroRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 04:53   #6
FVWVWF
Veteran Member

2016 GTI
...or...
2016 A4
FVWVWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:06   #7
Cincy_TDI
Veteran Member

Have a 2015 Jetta SEL and after 20k miles have decided MPG is great but the car is cheaply put together. Cannot wait for them to buy it back.

Entire new brake system, 2 new radios, now the home link button setup has fallen off the visor, so many head banging rattles.. Set fire to it as it is out of here..
Cincy_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:27   #8
NMRJock
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43, 40

We already bought an 2016 AWD Sienna to replace the Jetta (we had twins). But I also have a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3. That's where any buyback money is probably going to end up.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 10:23   #9
phrinda
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60 to work/ 38 back home

If the deal is right and the timing works out, I'll be giving up my golf for the 2017 Alltrack. It's slightly larger than the golf, has AWD, but is essentially the same otherwise. It'll have to be a gasser, but I think it would be a good vehicle for me to have here. Now, that said, there hasn't been much said about these since March. And all that was said in March is that they are coming... Who knows?
phrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:34   #10
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiggins View Post
I am kind of tossed on weather to trade my car in for another VW, or let them fix it.
I purchased my '12 VW TDI Prem w/ Nav brand new and I have 110k miles. I have loved my VW since day one, and my plan was to drive this car into the ground.
If you are keeping yours and letting VW fix it, you think it will still perform the same?
Until we know the "FIX" plus generous cash back --- hard to say.

We already KNOW there may NEVER be a "FIX." PERIOD

Even If you want to get a fix, and it takes up to 2 years to get it done, that's no way to live -- in limbo

Camry, Passat, Corolla, Civic, Nissan ~~ all gassers.

Will miss my DSG
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 13:01   #11
drshaws
Veteran Member

2016 or 2017 (most likely 2017 at this point) Wrangler Unlimited 6MT.

Willing to gamble on cheap RUG for a couple years. Also have no interest in worrying about HPFP or intercooler moisture issues on our 2014 JSW (having been stranded once due to intercooler icing - an no, I don't see drilling a hole in it is a valid fix).
Old June 22nd, 2016, 13:20   #12
LRTDI
Veteran Member

When my Golf tdi was deemed too small, I ended up with an outback cos no Passat wagon existed. A few years later, just as I was about to jump back in to a GSW tdi, (things change you know), hell freezed over or CARB freeezes sales and I end up with a Honda CRV.....Best mpg so far 38.4
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 13:25   #13
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I'd be tempted by a Jaguar XE diesel. But given how they depreciate it's probably like throwing money away. They've promised a manual transmission, too, although it hasn't appeared on their web site yet.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 14:00   #14
Jimmy Coconuts
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshaws View Post
2016 or 2017 (most likely 2017 at this point) Wrangler Unlimited 6MT.
I've been considering an Unlimited Rubicon, but have heard of lots of quality control issues. They hold their value extremely well though.
Jimmy Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 16:09   #15
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiggins View Post

If I had a CR TDI to trade, I would be looking at a Ford F-350 SuperDuty truck w/6.7L PowerStroke Diesel to add to my all-diesel BMW fleet. The diesel pickup truck market has not been threatened at all by the dieselgate scandal and is expanding. I miss the 08 F-350 SuperDuty 6.4L PowerStroke diesel truck I had a couple of years ago. I have no buyer's remorse for getting my BMW diesels but I'm having some seller's remorse for selling the truck. While not my daily driver, that truck was too damn useful for those times when I needed a 4WD pickup truck. I coulda kept it and probably shoulda just kept it. That means I will probably have another one someday. While I can easily justify owning 2 vehicles given the miles I drive, I'm on the fence whether I can justify owning 3 vehicles given I'm the only driver of them.

If I had a CR TDI and wanted to keep it forever, I would not let VW touch it at all and would NOT allow any fix to be done. I DIY all routine maintenance and go to TDI gurus for major stuff. I avoid VW dealer service departments like the plague. My state (NH) does not require any emissions related recalls to be performed in order to renew registration. I would simply keep it and keep driving it. If I still had my 2010 JSW TDI today it would already be well past 200k miles and rapidly closing in on 300k.

If I had a CR TDI and decided to let VW fix it or buy it back, I would hold out as long as possible before letting VW touch it. IIRC, owners will have up to 2 years to decide what to do if they want to participate in a fix or buyback. In my situation, 2 years represents 120k miles of driving. I would try to get as much use out of the car as possible before participating in a fix or buyback. The car won't owe me anything by the time I'm ready to let VW touch it. I won't be worried about resale value and I'll take the $5k and run with it.

Have fun!
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; June 22nd, 2016 at 16:26.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote