www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old August 3rd, 2016, 15:08   #241
andyrooski17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post
Buy back will also include a cash payment. Fix will include a cash payout. VW paperwork listed the numbers. For me, buy out - $27,000 + $6700 cash. I'll believe that when I see it.
This is not right. The ca. $27,000 will be the whole buyback value (pre-scandal value plus compensation). If you only do the fix, then you only get the ~$6700 cash compensation.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 15:12   #242
GWbiker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Great. Now put it in a wagon/CUV with a stick and I'll have a long look.
Knowing GM from past experiences, greedy GM probably will load the Cruze sedan with big $$$ options and price it in the mid to upper $30K.....
GWbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 15:15   #243
GWbiker
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrooski17 View Post
This is not right. The ca. $27,000 will be the whole buyback value (pre-scandal value plus compensation). If you only do the fix, then you only get the ~$6700 cash compensation.
I agree. Didn't seem right and I questioned it several times......but the numbers for my '15 Golf TDI S were listed on paper.

Yes, if you do only the fix, then a high of $6700 would come my way...plus the fix, of course.

Any one with more info around?????
Old August 3rd, 2016, 15:16   #244
J.R.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Knowing GM from past experiences, greedy GM probably will load the Cruze sedan with big $$$ options and price it in the mid to upper $30K.....
I don't really see them offering a manual or a wagon and certainly not a manual CUV so I have little 'worry' about buying from them anyway

It's either a GSW TDI for me if/when VW starts selling them or a tough call between a Subie Outback and a Mazda 3 Sport based on presently available vehicles.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 15:18   #245
andyrooski17
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree. Didn't seem right and I questioned it several times......but the numbers for my '15 Golf TDI S were listed on paper.

Yes, if you do only the fix, then a high of $6700 would come my way...plus the fix, of course.

Any one with more info around?????
I've read all (well, almost) the settlement documents. It's pretty explicit. Check out here.

Page 2 has a blue box "Option 1, Sell your car back to VW plus a cash payment for a combined total of: "

You can do the full calculation for yourself with one of the other documents, or at this point, enter your claim info into the claims website (Google it) and it should spit out your exact numbers.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 17:12   #246
panda
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shife View Post
I hate to pull the "I told you so" card, but there it is:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...L03/160809957/

Straight from GM. Expect to see VW pivot on their previous statements of putting diesel in the back seat of their product line-up if GM meets their sales goals.
Good luck with that ever happening. BIG cars and BIG trucks are back and it's all due to the low gas prices. The people active on this site love diesels, hell I have 3 diesel vehicles and 3 other pieces of diesel equipment. But as much as it pains me to say it I think the sun is setting on the diesel market and I would be surprised to ever see another model year of diesels in the VW lineup. At this point I'm pretty sure my 2015 GSW is going back, EA288 and all regardless of the fix details.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 17:36   #247
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

My gut feeling and opinion has been no more small diesels from VW in North America.

I hope to be proven wrong.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:52   #248
GWbiker
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt927 View Post
My gut feeling and opinion has been no more small diesels from VW in North America.

I hope to be proven wrong.
There is a need among long distance commuters (salesmen) for a fuel efficient long lasting medium size motor vehicle. Turbo Diesel fits that need.

If GM goes ahead with their Cruze TDI, VW may also introduce a cleaner TDI to compete.

FYI, VW already has the Jetta Hybrid for sale. EPA highway mileage of 44MPG.
Old August 4th, 2016, 13:50   #249
squeegee_boy
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is a need among long distance commuters (salesmen) for a fuel efficient long lasting medium size motor vehicle. Turbo Diesel fits that need.

If GM goes ahead with their Cruze TDI, VW may also introduce a cleaner TDI to compete.

FYI, VW already has the Jetta Hybrid for sale. EPA highway mileage of 44MPG.
Jetta Hybrid has been dropped for the 2017 MY. Lack of sales/interest.
2004 Jetta GLS TDI wagon, 5 speed, Mann EGR filter, VNT-17, Malone Stage 4, SouthBend Stage 2 Daily, Evolution Motorsports aluminum skid plate, Koni FSDs, Audi TT control arms, E-codes, TDI heater, heated rear seats
2016 Touareg TDI Lux
squeegee_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 15:49   #250
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee_boy View Post
Never caught on and way too expensive I sold my 2013 Jetta SEL Hybrid after 20 months and took a huge beating!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 17:15   #251
charley654
Veteran Member

Yeap... hybrids take a beating on resale/trade-in, because the condition of the very expensive rechargeable battery can not be easily checked. At least not by the appraising sales person. So they may appraise on the low side.
Same thing happened to our Honda hybrid, it had 100,000 miles.
charley654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 17:22   #252
charley654
Veteran Member

Further more...
Right now with fuel prices, and newer efficient direct injected gasoline engine fuel economy coming close being on par. Specially when the initial extra expense $$ of a diesel engine option- it would take a long time to break even on fuel cost over the years. If you have costco near by, gasoline is 4% discounted and where I am - diesel is not an option to purchase at Costco.
The only thing diesel have going for it is power/grunt and fuel economy.
Cons are: complexity of modern diesel system, cost of diesel fuel often higher than gasoline. Initial purchase higher for diesel engine option.
I just came back from Europe, every other car is diesel, and exhaust pollution is horrible near major road ways or in busy cities. Much worse than in US cities- at least using my own nose as an calibrated gauge.
charley654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 18:35   #253
MrShip
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 6.2 L/100km
Quote:
Originally Posted by charley654 View Post
Further more...
Right now with fuel prices, and newer efficient direct injected gasoline engine fuel economy coming close being on par. Specially when the initial extra expense $$ of a diesel engine option- it would take a long time to break even on fuel cost over the years. If you have costco near by, gasoline is 4% discounted and where I am - diesel is not an option to purchase at Costco.
The only thing diesel have going for it is power/grunt and fuel economy.
I think it depends on where you're located and what your driving habits are. Right now around Ottawa, diesel is often 7c/L cheaper than 87. This changes in the winter, but the price is still within a few cents of RUG. In Texas, I completely understand. I was there a month ago, and RUG was often cheaper than D2.

For Canada the price difference between gas and diesel engines was about $2k.

[Lots of math ahead]
Statscan fuel cost averages (July 2015 - June 2016):
RUG: $0.998/L
D2: $0.966/L
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...on152g-eng.htm

I'm currently averaging 3600km/month.
My current consumption is 6.3L/100km lifetime (about 1L/100km above Fuelly average for 2015).
This leads to an average monthy fuel cost of: $219/month

With an equivalent Corolla or Mazda 3:
Fuelly consumption is 7.2L/100km.
I'll use 8.2L/100km to better match my driving habits compared to Fuelly.
Gas equivalent average montly fuel cost: $294/month

Maintenance wise, they're relatively close (excluding DSG). Considering the Golf's maintenance interval is about double of a gas equivalent. I'd think the $900/year I'm saving in fuel would easily cover the difference in maintenance. Heck, this'd cover the engine difference as well within a few years.

VW Dealer:
15k km Service - $250.32
30k km Service - $539.11
60k km Service - ??? + DSG ???
...Repeat until...
195k km Service - Timing belt (Estimated $1500 or so)

When I bought my car, I roughly estimated the 5 year maintenance cost to be around $7000 (at the dealer, no missed optional services, 200k km on the clock). I'm also not counting DPF replacement, though I'll factor that into the 10 year cost of the car based on my driving mileage (500k km/310k miles). Breakdowns are also not factored in, but I'd expect the cost of them to be greater than on an equivalent Mazda/Toyota.

Mazda:
8k km Service - $130ish + Tire rotation (extra)
24k km Service - 8k service + brake inspection
40k km Service - 8k service + Cabin air filter
https://www.mazda.ca/globalassets/en...aintenance.pdf

I'll take a better look at the Mazda service costs next time my Miata needs a part.

Insurance also varies wildly, my golf was $10/month less than a corolla or mazda 3.

Bottom line, diesel is still a more economical choice depending on location and driving habits
MrShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:39   #254
GWbiker
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee_boy View Post
Interesting. Ford C-max, Honda hybrids and Toyota hybrids continue to sell.
My VW dealer has a new Jetta Hybrid on the lot at $32K.
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:46   #255
GWbiker
Veteran Member

Quote:
Bottom line, diesel is still a more economical choice depending on location and driving habits
Indeed. The "Oil motor" give most bang for the buck with highest BTU combustion over gasoline or alcohol.

And, there's no huge lead battery to contend with......