www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old April 30th, 2014, 19:29   #16
Smooth_Puddin

You guys must smoke a lot of pot lol.

Nice to see your visions a reality. Still not sold on the high wheel arches in the bed, doesn't make sense to me.
Smooth_Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 19:35   #17
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_Puddin View Post
Nice to see your visions a reality. Still not sold on the high wheel arches in the bed, doesn't make sense to me.
If you're building a custom vehicle, you can build it however you see fit. Our wheel arches can be cut off and replaced with whatever shapes you find attractive.

Last edited by manual_tranny; May 5th, 2014 at 14:14.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 19:38   #18
aslspiderman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny View Post
Lots of reasons!

1. We thought the teardrop fenders looked awesome
2. We can have them produced for us in steel for a reasonable cost (tooling already exists for these dimensions)
3. They are very strong
4. Jetta/Golf wheel wells are enormous, (especially the one on the passenger side of the car), so they need enormous covers
5. We presume that an ATV can ride up over the wheel wells and securely fall into place
6. It's a BA hotrod Jetta truck and it has a lot of style!

All valid reasons. I figured #4 had something to do with it. But it's obvious that #6 is the most important reason. After all if you're going to take on a project like this and bring it to the masses, it has to be BA

Would love to see one up close!
Old May 2nd, 2014, 13:27   #19
Yvettes Sherpa
Veteran Member

That looks way better then I thought. Nice job!!
Old May 2nd, 2014, 13:38   #20
duwem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Used to get 45, but big wheels, big brakes and a roof rack, 36mpg now

How much weight do you expect you could actually get in the back of one of these, seems the golf rear suspension isnt that beefy, put 4 adults in one and she sags.

And I agree on the teardrop fenders, looks too slammed Toyoda mini truck style to me.
Panzer FMJ Skid Plate, PP520's on Flow Balanced Injectors, H&R 28mm Rear Swaybar, Eurosport X Brace, TT Shifter, 42DD shifter Bushings, exhaust restriction reduction, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, TT front control arms, spindles and brakes, 17" wheels w/ Potenza Summer Tires
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:33   #21
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post
How much weight do you expect you could actually get in the back of one of these, seems the golf rear suspension isnt that beefy, put 4 adults in one and she sags.
Good questions! With more than two years of discussion, research, and design invested in this project, we are confident that the loads we specify will be hauled without any issue. Simply put, the GVWR of the vehicle officially stays the same as it was before the conversion. This actually means that our truck can haul an extra 100-200lbs over the Jetta because our finished weight will be lower than the original Jetta/Golf.

The rear seats and doors are heavy, somewhere around 200-250lbs combined. The roof and rear glass is not very heavy despite appearing to be the largest part of the vehicle, but removing that part of the shell ads another ~50lbs or so. The rear hatch/trunk is heavy. Because our reinforced vehicle is stronger and lighter than the original, we expect that 1000-1200lbs of humans + cargo should be approaching the GVWR. Hopefully, it is obvious to most folks that the vehicle is still a Jetta/Golf and that we have not added a separate chassis and cab. This vehicle is not meant to haul 5 yards of sand home from the local quarry!

The discussion of how much weight is safe is already on TDICLUB several places. There are plenty of folks who have airbags in their rear springs to eliminate sag while towing heavier loads. Also, some folks switch to the stiffer Jetta Wagon springs installed in their Jetta/Golf, and/or they have lift kits installed. Show what you tow!

From another TDIClub thread:
Golf towing Airstream Trailer

Hauling a heavy load is unsafe!
YOU should never exceed the GVWR of your vehicle!
YOU should do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy at all times!

You might have guessed.. I do not follow my own rules.

I had my tow dolly at TDIFEST 2011, and I was able to tow a broken VW Jetta to Paramedick's house for a late-night repair. I've also towed a Chevy S10 across town at 30mph, and I once towed my friend's Saab a few miles on a snowy winter day.

Use of the stronger springs from the Jetta Wagon (pricey) or uprated springs from RockAuto (stiffer and quite inexpensive but poor paint) can help reduce sag near the GVWR. Rear axle bushings and shock absorbers can also be replaced or upgraded. Some of the 'sag' you see in old overloaded cars is simply due to worn bushings and mounts. Airbags can be installed inside the rear springs to level your load even if you're being a dummy and loading up with too much weight.

Of course, if you're going to be hauling a significant amount of weight, you should at make sure that your brakes, tires, and all of your suspension components are well maintained. The stock brakes are actually quite strong when they are working. Larger tires with higher load rating may help premature tire wear and improve control when towing or hauling 'heavy' loads. Common sense stuff like driving more carefully when loaded obviously applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem
And I agree on the teardrop fenders, looks too slammed Toyoda mini truck style to me.
We do our best to make a vehicle that will appeal to the largest number of people.

The vehicle in the picture is lowered! Lowering is not a part of our kit. It is simply a statement of style AND it helps increase efficiency on the road by reducing drag under the vehicle. If you're building a pickup, your choice of suspension, ride height, power, traction, and all other options are up to you. While our kit is complete, our customers are able to make any changes they see fit to personalize it. Changing the shape of the bed to whatever awesome shape you want is easy, and costs no more than steel sheets, tubes, a plasma cutter, a mig welder, a grinder, a jar of elbow grease and a can of paint.

Last edited by manual_tranny; May 4th, 2014 at 16:24.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 13:09   #22
pm22071985
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
very cool.
Subscribed.
pm22071985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:17   #23
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

I very much like what I see. I might not sell that extra Jetta I have in back after all.

I have six questions:

1) Are all the parts you mentioned in the first list included? Meaning, I don't need to go chasing a tailgate or rear window, do I?
2) How has access to the fuel tank changed?
3) Is the full rearward travel of the seats retained?
4) What are the dimensions of the cargo area?
5) If I come pick up the parts myself, how many trips to pack it in the back of a Golf?
6) Will the kit accomodate a 2-dr Golf?

Last edited by Powder Hound; May 9th, 2014 at 08:23.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:53   #24
romad
Veteran Member

Wonder how it will compare to OEM?

http://www.vwcomerciales.com.mx/es/models/saveiro1.html

If VW ever brought it to these United States, they'd have to change the name though; VW Barge just doesn't sound right.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 13:33   #25
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
5) If I come pick up the parts myself, how many trips to pack it in the back of a Golf?
I don't know, but I'm guessing this is more of a show what you tow kind of job than back of a golf.
2006 Sprinter
2014 JSW (Went back to VW)
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 13:47   #26
duwem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Used to get 45, but big wheels, big brakes and a roof rack, 36mpg now

Wow, see something new every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Wonder how it will compare to OEM?

http://www.vwcomerciales.com.mx/es/models/saveiro1.html

If VW ever brought it to these United States, they'd have to change the name though; VW Barge just doesn't sound right.
Panzer FMJ Skid Plate, PP520's on Flow Balanced Injectors, H&R 28mm Rear Swaybar, Eurosport X Brace, TT Shifter, 42DD shifter Bushings, exhaust restriction reduction, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, TT front control arms, spindles and brakes, 17" wheels w/ Potenza Summer Tires
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 15:15   #27
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Wonder how it will compare to OEM?...
That is like having a prize fight and then asking who wins when only 1 guy shows up. The answer is obvious.
Old May 9th, 2014, 15:17   #28
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I don't know, but I'm guessing this is more of a show what you tow kind of job than back of a golf.
Probably, but I don't have a tow hitch and am not going to put one on. The other part is, I live close enough that I really could make multiple trips!
Old May 9th, 2014, 15:30   #29
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Interesting.
Old May 9th, 2014, 15:44   #30
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
That is like having a prize fight and then asking who wins when only 1 guy shows up. The answer is obvious.
So you're saying we can't make comparisons just because we don't have a U.S. Saveiro owner in TDI Club? Then I suggest absolutely NO comparisons with any TDI NOT sold in these United States. Maybe that would stop the whining about what Europe gets vs. what these United States get.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote