www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi A3

Audi A3 Discussions area for Audi A3 TDI (2010+ in Canada & the US).

Old August 20th, 2012, 12:05   #1
millra

TDI(s): A3 2.0 TDI
Smile Proud New Owner of a 2012 A3 TDI Premium Plus

Originally from Europe, albeit many moons ago, I have long been sold on the virtues of Diesel Turbo's. I've been equally dismayed at the lack of adoption of same in the US.
I finally broke down and traded my BMW Z4 for my new A3 TDI in Ibis White, Pano Roof,etc. Loaded. A 2012 Dealer Demo with 8k miles on the ODO, came with a 6 year 100k mile warranty :-) I've read just about every thread and email in these Forums, and am candidly more than a little nervous at some of the horror stories of Gas in the wrong pump, huffing requirements etc.
Any first time advice thoroughly welcomed.
millra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:20   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by millra View Post
.. am candidly more than a little nervous at some of the horror stories of Gas in the wrong pump, huffing requirements etc.
Any first time advice thoroughly welcomed.
Heed the warnings. The TDI is not your average gas 'n' go car

Welcome aboard.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 19:51   #3
surfer

TDI(s): 2012 A3 TDI

I too just picked up a 2012 Audi A3 tdi. I'm still driving on the dealers full tank and just found out about this recall now. When i look at the car it worries me.
Model year 2010-2012 manufactured from september 2009-september 2011 are at risk. Mine was manufactured in september 2011, Im thinking about calling VW (1800-822-8987) I would get whatever parts replaced now (on their dime) to avoid any future problems. Ill keep you posted once i talk to them.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/.../3404/recalls/
surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 13:36   #4
kgall
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer View Post
I too just picked up a 2012 Audi A3 tdi. I'm still driving on the dealers full tank and just found out about this recall now. When i look at the car it worries me.
Model year 2010-2012 manufactured from september 2009-september 2011 are at risk. Mine was manufactured in september 2011, Im thinking about calling VW (1800-822-8987) I would get whatever parts replaced now (on their dime) to avoid any future problems. Ill keep you posted once i talk to them.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/.../3404/recalls/
Yep. Remember to have your VIN number with you--that will probably be the key to knowing if it's included in the recall. If you bought it new from an Audi dealer, or bought it used at an Audi or VW dealer, you should be able to call them directly.
With any luck, it should have been fixed already, but I would sure check it out.
kgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 16:32   #5
surfer

TDI(s): 2012 A3 TDI

Gave VW a call and they said that its not a recall... its and a reminder to put diesel fuel in the car. They will send that to me in the mail. I checked with my VIN# on the Audi website it says: S-SERV_ACT-"Diesel Fuel Only" Information
Is there any other action i can take to confirm this?

Last edited by surfer; August 21st, 2012 at 17:17.
surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:18   #6
kgall
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer View Post
Gave VW a call and they said that its not a recall... its and a reminder to put diesel fuel in the car. They will send that to me in the mail. I checked with my VIN# on the Audi website it says: S-SERV_ACT-"Diesel Fuel Only" Information
Is there any other action i can take to confirm this?
You will be getting stickers in the mail--like I did.
I say that if this is the only action that applies to your vin number, then you are OK.
Unless someone else on this list tells us that there are other things you need to check, I say you are OK.
kgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 14:09   #7
Vin63
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi A3

The only recent service bulletin that I can remember was the fuel line damper service (install dampers on the injector lines). Other than that there was a DSG program version update, but the 2012+ model years should already have that.

Vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:02   #8
maroonfrog1
Veteran Member

Default Enjoy

My A3 TDI purchase story is a lot like yours. Local dealer called me and said he had a service loaner for sale. 20,000 miles and 18 months later, I am more and more convinced that I made the right choice. I track all of my fuel purchases in Fuelly, add 6 or 7 ounces of additive to every tank of diesel to increase the cetane rating, change the oil every 10,000 miles, and have a ball driving it!

Drove mine through the northwest Arkansas region a few weeks ago (Mount Magazine), with my wife on a long weekend, and she and I both remarked at how even with the blazing summer heat, it was perhaps the most fun driving in the country we've had in 20 years.

Enjoy!
Old September 9th, 2012, 18:32   #9
rotts4u
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonfrog1 View Post
My A3 TDI purchase story is a lot like yours. Local dealer called me and said he had a service loaner for sale. 20,000 miles and 18 months later, I am more and more convinced that I made the right choice. I track all of my fuel purchases in Fuelly, add 6 or 7 ounces of additive to every tank of diesel to increase the cetane rating, change the oil every 10,000 miles, and have a ball driving it!

Drove mine through the northwest Arkansas region a few weeks ago (Mount Magazine), with my wife on a long weekend, and she and I both remarked at how even with the blazing summer heat, it was perhaps the most fun driving in the country we've had in 20 years.

Enjoy!
I am with Maroon here with out A3 TDI. My wife trader her BMW 135I for it and after 6500 miles we are both crazy over the A3 TDI. Fuel economy is great, and for the two of us the size is perfect and the hatch space is nice too. Washing it and waxing etc is SOoooo easy with the panoramic roof cause its mostly glass up top.

We really love this little thing and assuming reliability is good for the expected life we will be really happy.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote