Trading Acura TL for vw golf TDI?

Sh0630

TDI
None
I changed job recently and now commute 40 miles to work. I am thinking to trade my 06 TL for a new golf TDI. Does this sound like a good idea? Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
If you could stretch your budget to a passat I think you be happier. The larger car actually gets better mpg, and has less problems.

BTW, if you looking just save money, it would take a long time for the golf to pay for itself over the Acura on just fuel savings.

Sh0630

TDI
None
You are right. Saving money on gas alone would not justify for a new Golf. I figure the over all saving may not be there at all considering new car payments and depreciation. However when I test drove a 2012 Golf TDI I immediately fell in love with it. I liked the nimble handling and the torque was amazing. Also I felt the car was well built.
However everyone I spoke to would tell me that it would be a major downgrade in luxury and overall comfort. I felt Golf was well built as well, perhaps not well as Acura. But i wouldn't consider it is a major downgrade. Am I crazy?

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I would keep reading.

Myself, I'd like look at the cost/mile, and yearly cost. I'm guessing there is a lot of miles left in the Acura--but perhaps you can trade out of it for good money, bringing its TCO and cost/mile down, and then you can go into the VW "for not much more."

But there are plenty of other issues, namely: where would you get it serviced and repaired?

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
If you want a new car, then a TDI sounds good for your commute. Check out the Passat as well, as it is a lot closer in size to your TL with similar performance to the Golf, except handling.

There are plenty of lower cost to own vehicles. I choose the TDI because of the combination of performance and fuel economy.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I changed job recently and now commute 40 miles to work. I am thinking to trade my 06 TL for a new golf TDI. Does this sound like a good idea? Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
excellent move. you will LOVE the new Golfs...bit more fun, torquey, easier to park than a TL, cruise very comfortably at 90mph and solid as a tank and for sure can take more volume of stuff....the car just flat out works and TLs as we all know are pigs on fuel. Buy a stick if you can...more fun, less maintenance and cheaper up front.

add_rock

TDI
Interested in getting a TDI
This is a great question. I just got into a 140 mile roundtrip commute with my '03 Accord EX V6. As much as I'd love to pull the trigger on a new TDI right now, the cost/mile comparison just doesn't add up. At just over 100K miles, the Accord still runs like a top, gets 27 MPG on the highway and is paid off. The next ride I do get, though, will definitely be a TDI.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Passat, Jetta, A3

Golf is seriously overpriced.

Consider Passat or Jetta for better value, or Audi A3 TDI if you are looking for more of the Acura experience.

Golf TDI IMO is the best handling and has the beat seats considering the field of Jetta, Golf, A3, Passat.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Golf is seriously overpriced.

Consider Passat or Jetta for better value, or Audi A3 TDI if you are looking for more of the Acura experience.

Golf TDI IMO is the best handling and has the beat seats considering the field of Jetta, Golf, A3, Passat.
How is the Golf Overpriced!?! VW has a lower profit margin on the Golf then on their Jetta Sedan, and possibly Passat You can get a Golf or a Jetta Sedan for roughly the same price, and the Jetta Sedan is a Cheap POS when compared to the Golf, or most other cars for that matter!

The OP likes the handling of the Golf and doesn't seem to be turned off by the Golf's cloth interior. The biggest downside to the Golf is the trunk space, but if he can get over that, then I say the golf is the TDi for him.

The real question is can he handle VW's Dark Side, which is lack of Quality Control, and the horrible Dealer Service/Warranty experiences.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Just find a route and driving style for your commute that maximizes your fuel economy and keep the Acura. No sense buying a new car to save a few pennies on fuel.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Hey, life's short and you can't take it with ya. If you really like the Golf. Go for it. :D If the monthly payment is a concern stick with the Acura. I guess my suggestion is it's your choice. Not much help I guess. :confused:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Jetta cargo volume: 15.5 cu. ft.
Golf cargo volume: 15.2 cu. ft. seats up
I have owned both a Jetta and a Golf, and I could fit a ton of stuff in my Jetta's trunk, and can't fit much in the Golf. There may be almost the same "Cargo Volume" on paper, but in real life, it is hard to fit much in the Golf with the seats up and the cargo cover on. Sure you could take out the cargo cover, and stack things floor to celing, but that doesnt' always work for fitting certain things. For example, I can't fit my daughter's stroller in the back of the Golf without completely disassembling it (Taking off wheels, seat, ect). It slid right into the Jetta, and I could fit alot more additional stuff in there as well.

The Golf doesn't have much usable rear cargo space, especially if you have baby seats in the back and can't fold down the rear seats. Those rear wheel wells don't leave you with alot of width either.

The Rear Cargo Space, and Cloth seats are the only complaints I have about the Golf, everything else about the car is fantastic!

Canary5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg. Malone Stage II
I have owned both a Jetta and a Golf, and I could fit a ton of stuff in my Jetta's trunk, and can't fit much in the Golf. There may be almost the same "Cargo Volume" on paper, but in real life, it is hard to fit much in the Golf with the seats up and the cargo cover on. Sure you could take out the cargo cover, and stack things floor to celing, but that doesnt' always work for fitting certain things. For example, I can't fit my daughter's stroller in the back of the Golf without completely disassembling it (Taking off wheels, seat, ect). It slid right into the Jetta, and I could fit alot more additional stuff in there as well.

The Golf doesn't have much usable rear cargo space, especially if you have baby seats in the back and can't fold down the rear seats. Those rear wheel wells don't leave you with alot of width either.
True, true. The Golf's cargo space is more vertically oriented than the Jetta's, which won't allow some things to fit as they would otherwise.

Last edited: