www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 25th, 2005, 19:27   #1
owentd

Default What to do with TDI

OK, big question, I have my 2000 Jetta TDI 104,000 miles that is getting a new engine put in it and a new turbo (because turbo went bad and seized engine see my other posts in the VW discussion area). I'll have spent $3500 to get this new engine all installed including parts and labor. I paid $8000 for the car one week ago.

I'm out of money in my savings now.

Should I sell the TDI and get my money out of it (because now I have pretty much nothing for repairs)

Or should I sell my 2000 Subaru Outback with 116,000 miles on it?

Is it possible for the Jetta to rack up more charges soon? New Clutch, shocks etc? It has new brakes already. Or is it a pretty safe bet to say that with the new engine, I'm sitting pretty good for a few years with no major issues?

Thanks
owentd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 19:36   #2
Vectorer
Veteran Member

T: See you in the morning...9AM. Don't give up hope...
Vectorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 20:43   #3
lrpavlo
Veteran Member

Default Re: What to do with TDI

High mileage cars are always going to need something....yeah shocks and struts for sure. I'm guessing you could have saved some money here but.....its your decision.
Since you are pulling the engine....why not put in a new clutch....its right there in the open!
Glad to see Dave S is giving you some help!
lrpavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 20:59   #4
blacksheep
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 MPG

What was the reason your turbo went bad? I dont want mine to do the same, can I prevent this?I just got mine and its the same year as yours.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 21:43   #5
BleachedBora

Turbo's USUALLY don't go bad...
If you don't do power mods things will be safer--although stuff happens...
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 04:10   #6
owentd

Well, I didnt want to give up, but the mechanic says that by the time they pull off the head gasket and get in there and fix whatever, it's going to cost the same as dropping in a new engine.

He also pulled codes with whatever computer he has and said there were no codes. Does he need a vag-com or will any code reader do?
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:16   #7
Toronto_Vento
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/48/44

generic code reader will be able to see generic codes. Vag-com tells you what the code means, without needing to look it up, and also lets you change settings...but a generic code reader is fine for what the mech was looking for.

I'd hate to tell you that you're at the end of your battle, but you gotta realize that for the age of your car, you have to budget about $1500 per year of maintenance costs. If the suspension hasn't been done, you can probably get away with a rougher ride for a few years, but it'll probably need doing in the next few. Who knows, though...other than the regular wear and tear items, the TDI could last for a long time with no further hassles.
Toronto_Vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:37   #8
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business #

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

It is impossible to know what will happen, but with new engine and turbo, trouble area are now very limited. Why not a clutch while the engine is out? No labor, just parts.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, but if you keep it and drive it, soon you will feel that you got your money's worth. If you are jammed up for cash, sell me all the old parts. I am interested in any failed stuff...or good stuff for study. Let me know. And keep the faith! There are a lot of people here to help!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:30   #9
owentd

$1500 A year even with a new engine, clutch and turbo? Or is that with the old engine?
Old April 26th, 2005, 16:55   #10
Vectorer
Veteran Member

...for John, that's $1500CDN. Not so bad...
Vectorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 17:28   #11
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles!

I purchased my 2000 Jetta TDI used on March 22, 2002 with 45k on it.

Today, three years one month and four days later, it has 145,456 miles on it with the fill-up this evening. I HAVE NOT spent $1,500 per year for maintenance. In fact, I have only spent $2,065.12 total(just a smidge over $0.02 per mile) for maintenance, which includes a recent set of new tires that have 75k miles to go. I seriously expect to lay down another 100k miles in less than three years due to my recent job promotion. I have full faith that my TDI will deliver, given proper maintenance and being realistic behind the wheel.

These cars are not "hot rods" and if you/we treat them as such they will "break" and in more places than our wallets will like.

I do realize that there are places that labor is high, but the parts are about the same in most locales. However, $3,500 sounds steep to me for a "new" engine or to repair (rebuild) the old one.

Do as someone suggested....... sell the old parts to recoup some of your expense and drive the car..... but, take care of it!

My two cents worth!
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote