Swap MK7 key fob for MK6 key fob?

jmdale1984

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Wondering if anyone has tried this or been compelled to...

I'm thinking about trying to swap my 2015 Golf's key fob for one like my old 2010 Golf. I've had my 2015 for 9 months (25k miles) and I've now broken both keys. They both broke at the same place, the metal piece that attaches the actual key to the remote transmitter.

Am I rough with them? Maybe. But having put several hundreds of thousands of miles on my 2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, and 2010 Golf... Never had a single issue with the old keys.

Going to the dealer tomorrow to see if I can figure this out on my own. Seems like the key itself would fit in the old style fob... Less sure about the electronics. Any advice would be much appreciated. If the key itself would work, but the transmitter wouldn't swap and would have to be programmed, that's fine, too.

TIA

Last edited:

Uno’15TDi

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I too am rough on my fobs. I bought a used fob on eBay and switched out the covers. My issue was mostly the rubberized button cover...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmdale1984

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
After visiting the dealer today, I had to give up. The service manager said there was absolutely no way to use the older keys with a newer model (not sure if he really KNEW that), and the parts department was closed.

Rather than pay $135 for a new VW key fob Everytime this happens, I bought a new key fob from likely a disreputable website for $32. Thank God for PayPal's buyer protection.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
also what's the point of having a cheap fob that may not work when you still have to pay someone with ODIS to relink the fob? Also the existing key needs to be relinked when you add a new fob.

AFAIK its about a 200-300 process to obtain another fully functional fob.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
I saw a DIY on Youtube a while back on swapping the internals from earlier model keys into a MK7 fob, so perhaps it would be possible to move the MK7 bits into an earlier fob housing? FWIW, you can buy used OEM keys pretty cheap on ebay and move everything over and AliExpress has numerous aftermarket fobs available. I have not had great luck moving the internal bits & blade from my old OEM keys into aftermarket housings.

FixMyVW.com made us a new key that has worked flawlessly for our MK4 but the only option for MK7 on their website is valet.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ODIS and component protection and IMO are all different level with the MQB system.