High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure

nonews

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
I WAS happy with my 2015 Sportwagen until the engine stopped running while on the highway 200 miles from home on Dec 31. (Manual, 19months old, 27000 miles) A dealership in CT says the HPFP failed and sent shards through the fuel system requiring every part be replaced. (Which I see is consistent with the HPFP failure on the previous TDI engine.) The service manager said the final part would be in the 10th, but finally Friday evening told be the part had to be made and will not be in until Mid February. I am a bit stunned at the bad information I was feed for 2 weeks to only be told another month. Of course I have reason to believe that date either. I would entertain advice on dealing with VW on this. I would like VW to cover the cost of a replacement until my car is fixed. Should I try to manage this through customer CARE or a regional manager? Are there any questions I should be asking or checking about the repair? I sincerely hope that the HPFP is not a regular failure on the EA288 engine like it was on the previous model.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If VW is not covering a rental car (which they should) and refuses to, file for buyback, buy another car of a different brand, take the insurance and license off this one, and arrange for buyback at the same dealer where it's sitting now.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Should add that I won't buy anything that uses a Bosch CP4 pump, which rules out most modern diesels. I've gone back to plain non-turbo non-direct-injection gas engines. It's proven tech and it works.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Talk to 2micron get a cp3 install kit. Cheaper than cp4 replacement
Warranty work is free though. And the warranty will be extended upon completing the approved fixes if that is the chosen path of the owner. CP3 is definitely the way to go post warranty, or if not getting the fixes.

nonews

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
If VW is not covering a rental car (which they should) and refuses to, file for buyback, buy another car of a different brand, take the insurance and license off this one, and arrange for buyback at the same dealer where it's sitting now.
VW has now agreed to reimburse the dealership for the cost of a loaner. I just have to go get it; which is OK since there is stuff I want out of my car. I'm still stunned that a fuel filter (5Q0127400F) takes 6 weeks.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
What really is funny is that they need to change that out at all.

the plumbing in the cap is not all that long, seems like you could clean it out and press on.

it is not like some of the models that have thermostatic control of fuel path included

Marthy

TDI
2015 GSW-6M
I had my Phase 2 upgrade done few weeks ago at 132K miles. Brought the car back to the dealer after I found some hardware missing when I did my 140K service (ya... wasn't impress) Service manager called me and the HPFP had some metal chaffing and needed replacement. This is my first TDI so it's an on going learning process... good thing it's cover under warranty still. Guess I'll change the pump with the next timing belt.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Assuming they did the timing belt already at 130K? And all of a sudden the HPFP needs replacing?? I'd be going CP3 with your warranty close to expiring, just my opinion.

Marthy

TDI
2015 GSW-6M
Assuming they did the timing belt already at 130K? And all of a sudden the HPFP needs replacing?? I'd be going CP3 with your warranty close to expiring, just my opinion.
I did the belt myself and they did the Phase 2 upgrade afterward. I brought it in because it was idling rough a bit (started before the belt change), then the engine light came on between me taking the appointment and them being available. Light was cause by the harness melting from the DPF getting so hot I guess? It was still not idling perfect after the phase 2 update when cold but was ok once temp were up. Been reading about the pump and yes I'll do the CP3 upgrade next time, this one is on VW. :D

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
I assume with this repair you all are getting a new fuel system? tank, injectors, lines, the whole thing? As it was done with the MK6 chassis cars.

Marthy

TDI
2015 GSW-6M
I assume with this repair you all are getting a new fuel system? tank, injectors, lines, the whole thing? As it was done with the MK6 chassis cars.
Ya, pretty much everything is brand new now. Event changed the water pump, timing belt and everything. Wish it happen 10K miles ago LOL Now at 140K miles I sort of have a newer car, hope I can catch a break for a while. Can't see what can go wrong next.

Oh, all covered under warranty :cool: Dealer billed VW for $6800.00 :eek:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Ya, pretty much everything is brand new now. Event changed the water pump, timing belt and everything. Wish it happen 10K miles ago LOL Now at 140K miles I sort of have a newer car, hope I can catch a break for a while. Can't see what can go wrong next.
Oh, all covered under warranty :cool: Dealer billed VW for $6800.00 :eek:
What kind of idling problem did you have before all of this?

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
If swapping out to a CP3, is it plug and play or does there need to be some reprogramming to the onboard computer?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What really is funny is that they need to change that out at all.

the plumbing in the cap is not all that long, seems like you could clean it out and press on.

it is not like some of the models that have thermostatic control of fuel path included
It would be nice if the fix were that simple but the failed pump sends shrapnel throughout the whole fuel system. One of the wrost thigs it does is plug the injectors. Some folks have had good luck cleaning the injectors. Others, not so much. If you have to buy new injectors, they ahve to be programmed to your ECM. Good thing VW is picking up the tab for this one.